Reaper by Rachel Vincent

Title:Reaper
Authors:Rachel Vincent
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Kindle Edition

Reaper by Rachel Vincent

I was so unbelievably excited when I heard that Rachel Vincent was writing a novella for Tod. I love Tod, he has to be one of my favorite characters in the whole Soul Screamers world. I really enjoyed reading this little shorty for him. I had no idea that Tod had such a sensitive side...but you never know....I heart him even more after reading this though.

My heart was breaking through most of this, you should be warned, I was so sad for the whole situation but I am glad we get to have both Nash and Tod around, the world would be a sad lonely place without them both.

I don't have a whole lot to say since this is just a shorty but there was a tiny bit of teen steam...which is like a very light and mild version of adult steam...but steam nonetheless which was awesome. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I liked the story, but feel I would have gotten more out of it if I'd read her Soul Screamers series. I'll definitely be checking it out! ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

Rachel Vincent’s Reaper is a novella set in her SOUL SCREAMERS world. I read it because it was free for members at Audible during one of their promotions. I haven’t read any of the SOUL SCREAMERS novels, but I’m familiar with the premise because I’ve read Kelly’s reviews (at FanLit) of the series.

Reaper is the story of how Tod, sacrificing himself for his impulsive younger brother Nash, became a reaper. We get to know Tod, Nash, and their mom pretty well. We also learn a bit about Sabine, Nash’s girlfriend, and Addison, Tod’s ex-girlfriend-turned-pop-star.

Fans of the SOUL SCREAMERS series won’t want to miss Reaper because it contains a moving background story. However, this novella can stand alone for those who haven’t started the series yet, and it may be a quick and easy way to discover if you want to venture further into Vincent’s world.

Personally, I struggled with Reaper — not because there was anything wrong with it (there wasn’t), but simply because it was devastatingly emotional. I don’t like stories where the crux of the plot involves children or teenagers getting hurt. As the mother of two teenage boys who are very close to each other, I thought this story was especially disturbing. It was a lot like reading the famous Dear Abby column called “Please, God, I’m Only 17.” If you don’t mind that sort of emotional gut punch, you’ll like this one better than I did.

Reaper is available on Kindle or audiobook. The audiobook version was read by Anthony Haden. His performance was good except that I didn’t like the slimy voice he used for Nash. However, Kelly, who has read the series, thought the slimy voice was appropriate. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Who would have known, it turned out that the guy who looked to be an annoying prankster has been a serious guy all along. And his brother, who started the series as a wholesome good guy, turned out to be not so good, after all.

I'm beginning to seriously love Rachel Vincent.
(And I'm puzzling more and more over WTF she was thinking when she wrote the Shifter series, when obviously she can do so much better) ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
This review originally posted at Mommy's Reading Break

According to Goodreads, this is book #3.5, but Rachel Vincent’s site has it between My Soul to Steal and If I Die, making it #4.5, but it technically takes place before book My Soul to Lose (#0.5).

I really, really enjoyed this novella, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I LOVE Tod. It’s funny because right before I read this book, I was wondering how Tod had died and couldn’t remember if it had been mentioned in the first book or not (since I read it a couple of months before the rest of the series). It was very interesting to see Tod’s interaction with Nash before he died. But the circumstances surrounding his death? Just made me love him even more. And the way it ended was good. Told you enough to pretty much know what was going on, but left some of it up to the imagination. ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
To all the readers who've asked for more of Tod, I couldn't be happier to oblige!
Staring down at the man on the bed, I couldn't help but suspect the coincidence.

"Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food, and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him -- and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it should have been a very long life indeed. All of that changed in one horrible moment and suddenly Tod had to make a choice. Life... Death... or something Between...."--Series website.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible