Reaper (Soul Screamers) by Rachel Vincent

Reaper (Soul Screamers) (edition 2010)

by Rachel Vincent

Member:pnh002
Title:Reaper (Soul Screamers)
Authors:Rachel Vincent
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Kindle Edition, 55 pages
Collections:Read, Hot Literary Guys
Rating:*****

Reaper by Rachel Vincent

I liked the story, but feel I would have gotten more out of it if I'd read her Soul Screamers series. I'll definitely be checking it out! ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

Rachel Vincent’s Reaper is a novella set in her SOUL SCREAMERS world. I read it because it was free for members at Audible during one of their promotions. I haven’t read any of the SOUL SCREAMERS novels, but I’m familiar with the premise because I’ve read Kelly’s reviews (at FanLit) of the series.

Reaper is the story of how Tod, sacrificing himself for his impulsive younger brother Nash, became a reaper. We get to know Tod, Nash, and their mom pretty well. We also learn a bit about Sabine, Nash’s girlfriend, and Addison, Tod’s ex-girlfriend-turned-pop-star.

Fans of the SOUL SCREAMERS series won’t want to miss Reaper because it contains a moving background story. However, this novella can stand alone for those who haven’t started the series yet, and it may be a quick and easy way to discover if you want to venture further into Vincent’s world.

Personally, I struggled with Reaper — not because there was anything wrong with it (there wasn’t), but simply because it was devastatingly emotional. I don’t like stories where the crux of the plot involves children or teenagers getting hurt. As the mother of two teenage boys who are very close to each other, I thought this story was especially disturbing. It was a lot like reading the famous Dear Abby column called “Please, God, I’m Only 17.” If you don’t mind that sort of emotional gut punch, you’ll like this one better than I did.

Reaper is available on Kindle or audiobook. The audiobook version was read by Anthony Haden. His performance was good except that I didn’t like the slimy voice he used for Nash. However, Kelly, who has read the series, thought the slimy voice was appropriate. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Who would have known, it turned out that the guy who looked to be an annoying prankster has been a serious guy all along. And his brother, who started the series as a wholesome good guy, turned out to be not so good, after all.

I'm beginning to seriously love Rachel Vincent.
(And I'm puzzling more and more over WTF she was thinking when she wrote the Shifter series, when obviously she can do so much better) ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
This review originally posted at Mommy's Reading Break

According to Goodreads, this is book #3.5, but Rachel Vincent’s site has it between My Soul to Steal and If I Die, making it #4.5, but it technically takes place before book My Soul to Lose (#0.5).

I really, really enjoyed this novella, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I LOVE Tod. It’s funny because right before I read this book, I was wondering how Tod had died and couldn’t remember if it had been mentioned in the first book or not (since I read it a couple of months before the rest of the series). It was very interesting to see Tod’s interaction with Nash before he died. But the circumstances surrounding his death? Just made me love him even more. And the way it ended was good. Told you enough to pretty much know what was going on, but left some of it up to the imagination. ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
This novella was freebie e-book when it was first released and I picked it up. It was actually my first glimpse at Rachel Vincent’s Soul Screamers world and before I started it I read many reviews praising the series. Many readers thought this was a weaker story than the books that had been released and the praise of those was so strong that I ended up purchasing My Soul To Take and reading it BEFORE I read this novella. I was so impressed by that first book, I ended up buying and reading the next two books in the series before I turned back to Reaper and actually read it. I didn’t think it was weaker – I thought it was just right!

Tod has definitely become one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. When we first met him, he was aloof and sarcastic. This novella shows us the Tod he used to be before his job as a reaper distanced him from those he loves, and explains how he became one. We see the Tod that he could be again.

While this novella takes place just before the entire Soul Screamers series begins, I think it is placed perfectly BEHIND book #3, My Soul To Keep. This gives us an up-close-and-personal look at a younger Nash, who is not taking the separation from his girlfriend, Sabine, well. Tod is the older brother who is frequently exasperated by his younger sibling, and the bickering between them feels real. However, Tod’s feelings of responsibility and love for Nash are readily apparent, and when Nash’s impulsiveness leads to tragedy, it is Tod who willingly pays the price.

Seeing Nash’s and Harmony’s reactions during the fallout adds greatly to the story. We have seen bits of Harmony in the main books, but this is our opportunity to see the devastation the loss of one of her son’s has brought. Losing Tod tears her and Nash apart, and it is their reactions to his death that help Tod decide to don the reaper mantle.

This book also becomes our opportunity to learn more about the workings of the reaper world and Tod’s boss, Levi. For some reason, this young manager of the district really intrigues me and I’m always happy to see more of him. The interactions between Levi and Tod help round out both their characters, as Levi explains how Tod was chosen and what is required of a reaper. The story is bookended by a special reap that comes Tod’s way and, after seeing how the events of his death have shaped him, it is no surprise how he handles it.

Rachel Vincent always tells a great story, and Reaper is no exception. While this is a short story, it is long enough to give a very good look at reapers and Tod himself. It is always nice when an author can give us a more detailed look at certain characters or situations that they don’t have time to expand on in their full-length novels due to editing constraints. Reaper is just such a look, and seeing more of Tod is always welcome to me. As a special bonus, we even get a quick glimpse of Kaylee and Tod’s reaction to her. Everything is set up perfectly for what is to come in book #4 My Soul To Steal. ( )
  eomalley | May 26, 2013 |
To all the readers who've asked for more of Tod, I couldn't be happier to oblige!
Staring down at the man on the bed, I couldn't help but suspect the coincidence.

"Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food, and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him -- and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it should have been a very long life indeed. All of that changed in one horrible moment and suddenly Tod had to make a choice. Life... Death... or something Between...."--Series website.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,673,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible