dismiss

Advanced Programming in the UNIX(R)…

Advanced Programming in the UNIX(R) Environment (Addison-Wesley… (edition 1992)

by W. Richard Stevens

The new third edition of Advanced Programming in the UNIX® Environment supports today's leading platforms, reflects new technical advances and best practices, and aligns with Version 4 of the Single UNIX Specification. This valuable tool begins with files, directories, and processes, carefully laying the groundwork for more advanced techniques, such as signal handling and terminal I/O then thoroughly covers threads and multithreaded programming, and socket-based IPC. This edition covers more than seventy new interfaces, including POSIX asynchronous I/O, spin locks, barriers, and POSIX semaphores. Students are given examples, including more than ten thousand lines of downloadable, ISO C source code. More than four hundred system calls and functions are demonstrated with concise, complete programs that clearly illustrate their usage, arguments, and return values. To tie together what they've learned, the book presents several chapter-length case studies, each reflecting contemporary environments.… (more)
Member:sptz45
Title:Advanced Programming in the UNIX(R) Environment (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
Authors:W. Richard Stevens
Info:Addison-Wesley Professional (1992), Hardcover, 768 pages
Tags:unix programming

Advanced programming in the UNIX environment by W. Richard Stevens

Possibly the best UNIX book I ever read and one of the best tech books ever. I don't know how I could have made it without it. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 9, 2020 |
This is a serious, genuine, OMG sort of update. It came out in 2013, and is current with the way the world works today (well, the world of computing, at least). It makes me regret being retired.

Library Thing believes that this book is the same as the previous versions, but trust me, it isn't. It's a dramatic change even from the second edition (which Stephen Rago also updated), and light years away from the first edition. The format was the same for all three, but some of the old information is gone (STREAMS is a notable example), and the reference operating systems match the current reality.

It's an excellent book, and if you're currently working in the field, you should get this edition. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Mar 24, 2014 |
Somewhere or other, on one of the computers in my lab, I still have all the example code from all six precious volumes from Stevens.

I borrowed other people's copies of this book for years, even though I had the other five, but bought this after Stevens' untimely death in 1999. This is the final key to knowing how it all works. It belongs on your bookshelf (or your desk). ( )
  Lyndatrue | Mar 24, 2014 |
Great book. Lots of detail. ( )
  alecclews | Aug 16, 2009 |
This is the bible of UNIX systems programming. ( )
  lorin | May 22, 2008 |

W. Richard Stevensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rago, Stephen A.main authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,650,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible