Altar of Bones by Philip Carter

Altar of Bones (2011)

by Philip Carter

English (16)  French (1)  All languages (17)
I enjoyed this book...if you like stories within a story. ( )
  Derby75 | May 8, 2018 |
Despite a slow start, a likable pair of protagonists make this story somewhat enjoyable, and they hooked me before the many insanely improbable plot elements could get me to walk away. I just had to see how things turned out for those two, and they were by far the best thing about this one. Which, in retrospect, wasn't enough to carry the day. Overall, the pacing is extremely inconsistent, with the narrative bogging down more often than not whenever the bullets aren't flying. Even the writing itself seems to be a cooperative effort here, with some chapters suggesting a masculine hand and some a more feminine touch. Nowhere is this more evident than in some of the more risqué passages, with some seeming to come from a mature feminine hand and others from a twelve-year-old boy. The dust jacket says that "Philip Carter" is a pseudonym for an internationally known author, which leads me to wonder if it's not really a collection of authors. In terms of plot, as is too often the case these days, "thriller" here seems to mean things like "over-the-top, eye-rolling action scenes" and "don't settle for a simple kill or murder when an attention-grabbing assault requiring multiple clips of ammo is available." Things like that. In short, there's an interesting premise behind this one, but it tends to get lost in the silliness. As for the characters, pretty much everyone beyond the aforementioned two principals seems to be one-dimensional, and that's assuming that they're given anything more to do beyond serving as a means for advancing the plot. All in all, a disappointment, and I kinda wish I'd been able to walk away from this one at around page 100. ( )
1 vote jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
The archetypal "airport novel", this starts with a bang and carries on at a fairly furious pace for 600 pages. Highly derivative in that car are on a hunt for a long lost artefact with the good guys being pursued by multiple baddies; historic events are woven into the story - I guessed what "the big kill" was at its first mention - but all all it is great fun, providing that disbelief is suspended while you are reading.
Apparently Philip Carter is a nom-de-plume. Well the writing is better than in much of the competition (two car chase descriptions being particularly noteworthy) and it is all wrapped up at the end obviating the possibility of a sequel. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
For those you interested in suspense Dan Brown style. A good long read that kept my interest. ( )
  julieandbeli | Jun 5, 2015 |
The book started at "current" date/time, which turned out to be February 2011, with a murder. It then jumped back 74 years to February 1938. Didn't take much to think the characters may be related or even the same. The story then went to August-September (maybe even October) 2009. That type of storytelling is not my favorite. It is an easy trick for the author to make things complex, and sets off my spoiler alert detector. The book's action/chase scenes were well done. The characters lines were written with witty exchanges, that I had a hard time giving a voice to. It seemed the author wanted the situation to be very stressful and scary, and the characters were being macho/brave. Due to all the hoopla, I watched the movie, "The Interview" - the Seth Rogen one with the North Vietnam mess. That movie's action/chase scenes were well done, and the characters lines were filled with witty exchanges, but the whole thing was a farce/joke. Watching that movie messed up the stressful/scary part of this book. ( )
  mainrun | Jan 6, 2015 |
Zoe Dmitroff is a San Francisco attorney whose grandmother was just found murdered. Zoe learns that she is the new Keeper of the Alter of Bones, a real-life fountain of youth deep in the wilds of Siberia.

Ry O’Malley is a DEA agent whose brother was just found murdered. Ry learns that he is closely related to the person that really killed JFK.

Thrown together in a race for their lives, Zoe and Ry must trust each other if they’re going to be able to save themselves and the whole human race.

Alter of Bones by Philip Carter is James Bond meets the Amazing Race and the ultimate prize is life everlasting.

Meticulously researched and vividly described, this fast paced page turner is definite edge-of-your-seat excitement.

Suspense, romance, espionage, magic...the list goes on and on. Alter of Bones has something for everyone! 4 ½ Diamonds

(Received complimentary copy for review purposes only.)

When the dying words of a homeless woman spark a ruthless assassination plot, a resourceful woman on the run and a vengeance-driven man forge a reluctant partnership in an international cat-and-mouse race to survive and find answers.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,913,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible