Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Hounded

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (1)

1,8241983,831 (3.96)257
Recently added byZizu, lostinthebb, minkusrx, Margin, mart1n, SFF1928-1973, Angelzinhamia, private library, lilic25, AlexJK

English (204)  German (1)  All (205)
Its a solid book - well written, with an interesting world. Sure, the characters are predictable (but intelligent) - the lead character reminded me too much of a surfer boy (and the cover picture doesn't help). The pacing is good - never a slow spot. However, I think I've read too many of these books and the genre is getting old - if I read this a few years ago, I suspect I would have absolutely loved it. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Apr 23, 2017 |
Hounded is the first book about Atticus O´Sullivan, the last surviving druid. He lives in Arizona and runs an occult bookshop. And when he doesn’t do that, he tries to stay alive since he has been for hunted for centuries by an angry Celtic god that wants a sword he happened to take from a battlefield a long time ago.

Druids, gods and goddesses, werewolves and vampire and, of course, throw it some witches in the story and you have Hounded. And of course, we can’t forget Oberon, Atticus Irish wolfhound. This book is nonstop action from the first page to the last. It was a great read and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

I found the book refreshing to read. Nice to follow a druids adventures in an urban fantasy instead of a werewolf, vampire or a witch. Of course, all of those are in the book, but I don’t mind. A druid Is something new. And I like Atticus, I like his humor; “Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” This book has some great lines! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
You probably wouldn’t expect a Druid to be living in Arizona, but that’s where Atticus is residing, at least in this century. Hoping to keep a low profile and stay under the radar, he nevertheless is being hounded by a very powerful and angry Celtic god who wants his sword back, a sword that Atticus acquired fair and square, well almost. Atticus’s life is a lot of things, but never dull, and neither is this tale. Filled with excitement and liberally dosed with humor, this well-written fantasy is a great start to a promising series. ( )
  Maydacat | Mar 13, 2017 |
A fun, fast read that intrigues you with its magic and then makes you laugh out loud. Great first book, and definitely recommended for fans of Dresden Files. ( )
  Alliebadger | Feb 13, 2017 |
I classified this as Urban Fantasy", but after thinking about it, I think it really comes down more in the "Para-normal" camp.

I hate & despise paranormal.

But a couple of my guy friends here on GR had given it high scores, so I had to try it.

It was ok. Atticus came across as a 200 year old badass, not some 2100 year old. I don't know if having the hormones and body of a 21 year old for 2000 years does that to one, or what, but he did NOT seem that old.
Someone that old is going to have scars, emotional and mental, that can't just be shrugged off and ignored. Maybe it came from his usually running away? But if that were the case, he wouldn't have fought like he did in this book.

So a pretty good story. I definitely would have given it 4 stars, but for all the beautiful women who just can't seem to ignore him. It was completely ridiculous. Utterly gratuitous descriptions of goddesses & boink-worthy barmaids added nothing to the story and in fact detracted from the seriousness of the situation.

We'll see how the rest of the trilogy turns out." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kevin Hearne's book Hounded was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,507,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible