Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Hounded

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (1)

1,7601934,004 (3.95)255

Edit Jan. 24, 2016:
On re-reading with an idea of what to expect, I like it better. You just have to accept that 2,100 year old druids have god-like powers and will be able to take care of anything that comes at them. Easily.

Several of my friends really love this series, but I just couldn't get into it. I've blocked most of the details from my mind in order to maintain my sanity, but I remember thinking the plot was rather ridiculous and just got worse. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
A fun, supernatural adventure, "Hounded" was a good, light read when I needed a break from some of the meatier books I often consume. There were some genuinely funny moments that made me chuckle aloud and Kevin Hearne included enough tidbits from various mythologies to make me interested in his world. I did roll my eyes a bit at how pretty all the female characters were and how easily some of them fell into bed with Atticus, but the action and magic helped make up for that. I will definitely be continuing with the series after this. ( )
  AdrienneHood | Oct 31, 2016 |
I got this book through a First-Reads giveaway.

Hounded was a lot of fun. The writing style is light and irreverent. and the book was a quick, involving read. I enjoyed the interplay between the characters, especially between the lead character, Atticus and his dog, Oberon. I groaned inwardly when the talking dog was first introduced, this is usually a sure sign of hokiness and the point where my interest in reading further drops. But Oberon is not so much a talking dog as a dog who is able to communicate with his owner (trust me, there is a distinction), and Oberon's character remained very dog-like, which I appreciate.

My major complaint is that the characters are fairly shallow. Part of this may be the author's view on the fae, who have been known to be petty and shallow. I hope some of the shallowness and 2-Dness will dissipate in the later books in the series, which I do plan to read.

Overall, Hounded is as good a start to a series as I've read in a while. The plot is twisty, the dialogue fairly snappy, and the protagonist is likeable. The book reads quickly and leaves you wanting to read the rest of the series. ( )
  irregularreader | Oct 31, 2016 |
Great start to a series. Atticus O'Sullivan is a witty, shape shifting, magical being called a druid who faces off against other supernatural. The plot and characters are well developed and the storyline is interesting. I'm looking forward to the remaining books. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
So good. reminiscent of Dresdan Files but 200X's better. ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,620,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible