Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Hounded

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (1)

1,1971426,697 (3.98)192

HOUNDED is a great start to an urban fantasy series. Atticus O'Sullivan is trying to live peacefully in Tempe, Arizona, with his wolfhound Oberon. But since he is the last Druid and is holding a magic sword that a very angry Celtic god wants back, a peaceful life is not in his near future.

Atticus has to call on all his 2100 hundred years to juggle Celtic gods, Polish witches, and demons. I liked the world that was created by Hearne. I liked the idea that Atticus is using 21st Century tactics including lawyers and lawsuits in his defense. I especially liked that his lawyers were werewolves and vampires.

Atticus' relationship with his wolfhound Oberon and his elderly neighbor Mrs. MacDonagh help to humanize this very powerful magic user. I enjoyed the way he kept up with current pop culture while maintaining his heritage.

I can't wait to read more books in this series and have lots to go. Book 7 was just released on June 17. This book had a similar feel to the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. Fans of that series should also enjoy this one. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 14, 2014 |
Druid Atticus O’Sullivan lives a relaxed life in Arizona with his goofball sidekick, Irish wolfhound Oberon, but ever since he took a magical sword off the Celtic god Aenghus Óg, he's been in hiding, but time is running out and Aenghus Óg is calling upon demons to get the powerful sword back and to put an end to Atticus very long life. This is a very light-hearted urban fantasy with lots of goofy jokes and characters, but occasionally a left hook comes in and something completely gruesome and violent happens and you are thrown for a loop, which keeps the story feeling unexpected. It's easy to compare to Butcher's Dresden Files, but where that one has a lot of gravitas, this one is more of a fun ride. And where Harry's dog Mouse has his back at all times, Atticus' Oberon is a dorky sidekick who can't get over an obsession with sausages and French Poodles. Very entertaining read and I've already started book two in the series. ( )
  -Eva- | Jun 7, 2014 |
When it comes to urban fantasy, I'm kind of prejudiced against male authors. (Nothing at all against men, but in my experience female authors have been a safer bet for a satisfying read.) But upon recommendation by a friend with excellent taste, I gave Kevin Hearne a try. I downloaded the first chapter and was instantly hooked! This is a fresh voice in the vein of William Goldman and Neil Gaiman and even Douglas Adams. I really enjoyed it, and immediately downloaded the next one. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
I'd read several reviews of this and waffled over whether to start this series or not, but David's review (tapestry) pushed me over to the "must read" side. I'm glad it did, as this was a fun read. Hearne knows his mythology and handles it responsibly--something I always appreciate in Druid modern fantasies. I like how the main character is on the fringe of things between the gods--except when he isn't. And his dog Oberon is one of the best characters in the book. Recommended for a fun fantasy read. Not nonviolent, but fun. ( )
  ronincats | May 21, 2014 |
There's something in this book that just fails to reach me, and I can't put my finger on what. Not bad either - continuing on because I need something to listen to in the car and I want to see what everybody's going so crazy about. Maybe it'll catch me later.

Edit: I'm like 60% of the way through book 3 right now, and I think it's hit me. Damnit, Atticus is just way too perfect. Gary Stu, meet Atticus, he's better than you. And that holier-than-thou, I'm-so-clever attitude just wanders around with him all through all three books. I'm still reading, but mostly because I ought to. But whatever people say, this is absolutely not the heir to Dresden -- Dresden being gritty, exhausted, ground down and coming up against odds that he has no chance of beating; Atticus is just tweaking the nose of whatever god attempts to tell him no and doing it anyway. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible