Hounded by Kevin Hearne

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (1)

Recently added bysamjudd, BooksOn23rd, evlon, private library, LaPhenix, Chazmagic1, nysmith, kara-karina, gnoddep

English (168)  Piratical (1)  All languages (169)
Definitely not winning the feminist award--the women were all supermodels and the men apparently not noteworthy, but I really enjoyed the story, characters, and concept. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
I'm really surprised just how much I liked this book. It's simple, linear, has a strong lead voice and an adorable sidekick - an Irish wolfhound Oberon who has fantastic sense of humor.

Atticus, who looks like an attractive 21 year-old Irish lad in reality is 2100 year-old Druid. Centuries ago he stole an powerful sword from A Celtic god of love, who, let's say, is not a well liked figure among the rest of the Celtic pantheon. To spite him Morrigan, the goddess of battle and war swore not to take Atticus life, and thus he is still alive and running from the vengeful god and his flunkies.

But our Druid is fed up with running, he's got a nice new age shop, couple of friends - a werewolf and a vampire, who coincidentally serve as his lawyers and sparring partners, and a wonderful loyal dog who he taught to speak with him telepathically. So whatever comes next, he is staying.

What follows is a fascinating roller coaster of events, with spiteful witches, horny goddesses and one pissed off ghost...

I absolutely loved it. There is simple logic and purity in this book, wonderful kindness and humor despite the brutal battles which Atticus has to participate in. It's, for the lack of better word, earthy. Atticus is cautious, diplomatic and cunning, just what you expect from someone who lived for that long, and his dog... You have to listen to their conversations!

“You will respect my authori-tah!" Oberon said, in a passable imitation of Eric Cartman. I reminded him that I needed to concentrate. Sometimes dogs forget; they just get too excited.”

“Oh." Oberon looked at me. "I know that has to make you sad. But call to me instead, Atticus. I'll always answer. Your fly has been open all this time, by the way, and Granuaile hasn't said a thing."
"Thanks, buddy", I said silently as I tried to surreptitiously zip up my jeans.
"See? I got your back AND your front. I deserve a treat.”

Also the covers for the whole three books so far are man candy gorgeous, which kind of helps. A lot. :)
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Nope. Yet another DNF. Man, I'm having a bad book streak. :(

Some thoughts:

1) You ever hear the phrase "show, don't tell"? Because this book was the most horrendous violation of that guideline I have ever seen. The entire first 5% of the book is nothing but the protagonist explaining his back story. I was already bored on my third kindle page turn. And then, to make matters worse, every time some new idea comes up, the guy goes on off a long tangent to explain it. I couldn't STAND IT. Every time something interesting happened, the narrator brought the pace to a stand still to explain every single minute, unimportant detail possible about the one measly thing that just happened. UGH.

Stop TELLING me everything in massive info-dump passages and show me a freaking story!

2) Is the protagonist invincible or something? Because he appears to already possess every important ability he could possibly need to defeat the bad guys -- which makes me wonder how he's supposed to develop as a character. He spent so long describing all the ways he'd beefed up his security with magic and how he protected himself with magic and how he defeats people with magic that I started to wonder if this entire series is literally this guy kicking butt with no consequences to his person. In short: kinda-sorta Gary Stu-ish.

3) This guy is 2100 years old. He acts like he's actually 21 -- his personality is horribly immature for a guy who was born before Jesus.

4) And to make him seem "up to date," the narration throws in more pop culture references per page than I've seen in the last 10 urban fantasy novels I've read. Combined. God, those got annoying REALLY, REALLY fast. Moderation, people. Moderation!

5) Of course, this book falls into the "every single female character is smoking hot" pitfall right off the bat. And more than one gets naked right off the bat. And the guy has sex with one of them. Right off the bat. -sigh-

6) I just...wow. I couldn't read this. I couldn't get into the story -- mostly because I struggled to FIND the story. Page after page of the narrator explaining things I didn't care ANYTHING about.

Word of advice: don't introduce a heaping ton of information before you have explained why I should care about ANY of it. The bogged-down beginning turned me off from the get-go, and the continual pacing interruptions annoyed me to no end. It also destroyed any possibility of me feeling the slightest hint of suspense.

Some big bad guy is coming to kill the protagonist?

Cool. Yah. Fantastic. Sweet. Neat. Awesome. -eye roll-

I literally didn't care. I couldn't care. I was SO FREAKING BORED.

So I DNFed this about a quarter of the way through. I couldn't take anymore than that. I didn't even want to pick up my kindle after the first night.

This one just did NOT work for me. At all. End of story. ( )
1 vote ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
"Only five?!" I so love me some Oberon! He is the best part of the book. Atticus really didn't impress me that much. He was just ok. It's all the players together (well good guys/gals) that I liked. It was a well written book. I want to hear more about the pack and the vampire. Really just write a book totally from Oberon's perspective. ha! The humor was great in the book. I liked how the author explained why there was very little magic in this century. I listened to the book versus reading it. Thanks to a friend I had a book and an audio book. I would check out the spelling of the names in the book, but I thought it was more enjoyable listening to it. The narrator did a really great job. He brought the characters to life. There is no romance in the book, but it's a great book! Go read it or rather listen to it! ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
There's something in this book that just fails to reach me, and I can't put my finger on what. Not bad either - continuing on because I need something to listen to in the car and I want to see what everybody's going so crazy about. Maybe it'll catch me later.

Edit: I'm like 60% of the way through book 3 right now, and I think it's hit me. Damnit, Atticus is just way too perfect. Gary Stu, meet Atticus, he's better than you. And that holier-than-thou, I'm-so-clever attitude just wanders around with him all through all three books. I'm still reading, but mostly because I ought to. But whatever people say, this is absolutely not the heir to Dresden -- Dresden being gritty, exhausted, ground down and coming up against odds that he has no chance of beating; Atticus is just tweaking the nose of whatever god attempts to tell him no and doing it anyway. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,892,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible