Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One…

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, Iron Druid, WLS, RBU

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

English (153)  Piratical (1)  All languages (154)
Hounded is the first book about Atticus O´Sullivan, the last surviving druid. He lives in Arizona and runs an occult bookshop. And when he doesn’t do that, he tries to stay alive since he has been for hunted for centuries by an angry Celtic god that wants a sword he happened to take from a battlefield a long time ago.

Druids, gods and goddesses, werewolves and vampire and of course throw it some witches in the story and you have Hounded. And of course we can’t forget Oberon, Atticus Irish wolfhound. This book is nonstop action from the first page to the last. It was a great read and I’m looking forward to read the rest of the books in the series.

I found the book refreshing to read. Nice to follow a druids adventures in an urban fantasy instead of a werewolf, vampire or a witch. Of course all of those are in the book, but I don’t mind. A druid Is something new. And I like Atticus, I like his humor; “Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” This book has some great lines! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Attica, 21 Jahrhunderte alter Druide mit jugendlichem Aussehen, hat sich als Buch- und Kräuterhändler gemeinsam mit seinem Hund Oberon im Südwesten der USA ein beschauliches Leben eingerichtet. Doch mit der Ruhe ist es bald vorbei, als ihm aus unterschiedlichen Richtungen signalisiert wird, dass ihm der irische Liebesgott Aenghus Óg nach dem Leben trachtet. Denn Attica besitzt etwas, das Aenghus Óg unbedingt haben möchte...
Wow, in dieser Geschichte geht es richtig ab ;-) Kämpfe mit und/oder gegen Hexen, Elfen, Eisenelementargeist, Werwölfen, Fir Bolgs und Göttern nochundnöcher. Was sich jetzt anhören mag wie Dutzende anderer Fantasyromane auch, unterscheidet sich hier aber durch eine ausgesprochen humorvolle Darstellung historischer Gegebenheiten in der Gegenwart und wirklich witziger Dialoge, insbesondere die zwischen Attica und seinem Hund Oberon. Auch als nur Zwischdurch-mal-Fantasy-Leserin habe ich mich grandios amüsiert und kann mir gut vorstellen, auch den zweiten Teil zu lesen.
Kleine Anmerkung zum Schluss: Im letzten Drittel häuften sich die Schreibfehler: falsche Pronomen, fehlende Buchstaben, fehlerhafte Groß-Kleinschreibung oder einfach unstimmige Aussagen (S. 302: Die Werwölfe hatten bereits drei Hexen außer Gefecht gesetzt und waren gerade dabei, eine dritte unschädlich zu machen...). Eine Aufgabe für die nächste Auflage... ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
Not sure about the timing, but very reminiscent of the world that Jim Butcher created in Chicago, if only philosophically. Well, that and Atticus seems to get around a bit more... ( )
  ScoutJ | Oct 7, 2014 |
I jinxed myself. I read the first 5 pages and thought I might actually like it after procrastinating over the decision of: to read, or not to read? I blame myself for settling on the former, as many have compared it to Jim Butcher's writing. Me and that dude do not get on. We are chalk and cheese.

The humour is unfunny; it's forced. The info-dump is off-putting; too much, too fast. Dialogue-overload. Not enough description.

Atticus claims to be 2,100 or just 21 to humans. He lies to everyone but the humans. He ain't two thousand years old. There's no way. He brags about the famous historical events he's witnessed, the powerful and dangerous gods he knows, and thinks his physical prowess is that of a ninja. He sounds like an immature boy. Show me you've lived longer than most, don't just tell me. He also feels too modern and "down with the kids".

These gods care enough to warn Atticus of an impending threat on his life but he doesn't take them seriously. Even after he is attacked. I don't understand why they care if he never listens to them.

One of said gods has promised not to let Atticus die. So if he's in terrible agony from multiple wounds, he won't die. That's awful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, and this woman is supposed to be an ally. Some ally. No thanks.

I wasn't impressed with the gods we met in the beginning. Not much intelligence or wisdom to be found in them. They were only concerned with petty grievances and vengeance. The norm for gods generally, though some semblance of substance or the ability to champion a worthwhile cause would've been nice, anything to show some depth of character to engender interest from me as the reader.

I hear Oberon is a hoot and an adorable sidekick. Well, I met him but he doesn't seem terribly dog-like.

I've never given up after so few pages read before, but I can't force myself to read any more.

Not for me.

36/292 pages read. ( )
1 vote Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. Atticus, a 2,100 year old druid, took a sword that a Celtic god thinks belongs to him. And so, he chases Atticus around the world for thousands of years. Meanwhile, Atticus becomes very good at staying alive...

Hearne was able to mix mythology and ancient concepts with the modern era in a quirky and very enjoyable way. He brought in werewolves, vampires, and witches without becoming all "Twilight-y", the depictions of the various creatures were gritty and pretty scary.

I loved Hearne's depiction of the druid religion. Atticus isn't just some dude in a robe. He's an earth-bound warrior priest who can change his shape and do all sorts of other awesome earth magic type things. He can also converse with his dog, which provided some great comic relief and some of my favorite exchanges.

Hearne introduces multiple pantheons of gods into this world so the possibilities that this series can explore are very broad, which is exciting. He also made the followers of the different gods totally unique so, for example, Atticus doesn't understand how the witches do magic, he just knows that they can. Not knowing what the enemy can do makes the action so much more tense!

The pace of this novel was gripping. There wasn't really a down moment. It was action all the way, which was great fun to read and made it hard to put the book down. I lost some sleep time to this amazing page turner.

I am definitely reading more of this series. It's a lot of fun! If you love urban fantasy, this is a must read. ( )
  HeidiWiechert | Sep 10, 2014 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible