Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One…

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, Iron Druid, WLS, RBU

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

English (164)  Piratical (1)  All languages (165)
My husband is a big fan of druids, often playing them in D&D. When I found this series I suggested it to him and he loves it. I finally relented to his hounding (see what I did there?) to start the series myself. And though there were some issues, for the first in a series it was very enjoyable.

The best parts of the book are the folklore and world-building. This isn’t the first series I have come across where “all” gods are real in addition to vampires, witches, werewolves & Fae. But it is the first I’ve come across to show them through the lens of a Druid. His powers are different than the usual in urban fantasy and it makes Atticus a distinctive narrator. And the cast of supporting characters are colorful and interesting. I want to learn more about them.

Where I found the book to be weak was with Atticus – he’s too passive, and in a book without a mystery that’s a problem. Not that he doesn’t fight; he gets attacked many times. But EVERYTHING comes to him. A succession of gods pop in to conveniently tell him what he needs to know. The entire book is an introduction to the world, and a set-up for a final battle with Aenghus Og. He doesn’t investigate, or do much preparation, or make any plan until the very end. This made it very easy for me to put the book down several times because I never felt the *need* to know what would happen next.

That said, I did enjoy the world Hearne has created and the possibility of an apprentice for Atticus to work and talk with (besides the dog) shows potential. And the way some of the gods, who do not appear, are described, makes me eager to meet them. I will definitely read the next book, I just hope Atticus is more proactive in it. Recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | Aug 18, 2015 |
Amazing narration, awesome secondary characters, real Celtic myths, omg I'm in love and downloading all five of the next books! Full review to come:
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Atticus O'Sullivan appears to be a twenty-one year old, tattooed Irish guy living in Arizona running his own occult bookshop. And that's what he wants you to think.

Actually the last of the Druids and tens of centuries old, Atticus is hiding from Aenghus Og. Depending on which of them you ask, Atticus either stole or relieved Aenghus Og of his magic sword. Aenghus Og, despite being the ancient god of love, doesn't have particularly loving ideas in mind when it comes to getting it back - or what to do to Atticus.

In the meantime, Atticus plans to spend his days running his bookshop, staying hunder Aenghus Og's radar, shapeshifting into a hound to hunt with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon . . . and the occasional dealings with witches, goddesses (including the Morrigan).

He's going to need the help of all of them - including the vampire and werewolves he's come to know through their legal expertise, a bartender, a Hindu witch in possession of someone, and maybe even the tough Irish widow down the street - when Aenghus finally tracks him down after centuries and comes for the sword.

Hounded is, I believe, the first book I've read where the character was a Druid - at least a real one. The secondary characters this introduces as well as the actions taken by Atticus because of this make Hounded different right from the beginning.

Having so many different supernatural characters - witches, werewolves, vampires - also a part of the story was a nice change of pace from most urban fantasies (at least that I've been reading) where there will be one or two beings and the others won't exist or won't be a part of the characters world.

One thing that I didn't know about until I started Hounded and worked for me in the audio version but may not for everyone (and may be different in print), Atticus can communicate telepathically with his dog. Oberon's not like Chet in the Chet and Bernie Mysteries, either. He doesn't lose his train of though or get distracted by sausages, have random word associations, ignore halves of conversations, etc. In other words, Oberon doesn't think the way you'd expect a dog to - or doesn't talk to Atticus the way you'd expect a dog to.

Their conversations are pretty human-like. Oberon's very easily excitable like a dog, has an interesting fascination with Genghis Khan and French Poodles but his sentence structure, etc is more human. On an audiobook, however, it's more than amusing.

The thing I'm still unsure about with Hounded is the female characters. The witches seemed to be looked at negatively and are trouble. The goddesses are naked, looking for sex, having it, etc. The Morrigan is supposed to be scary, intimidating. Naked women can be intimidating, but that wasn't the case in Hounded it felt like they were there to be sexy, be hot . . . and then maybe fulfill any other role. I'm hoping Hearne's portrayal of the opposite sex (at least the 'attractive' ones - he did very well with Widow MacDonagh - though she's not supposed to have sex appeal) improves as the series continues.

As an audiobook this was enjoyable. Later in the book a few of the characters did sound somewhat similar, but the action was enough that it was always possible to easily tell the characters apart. (And Oberon's voice was, of course, great fun.)

Rating: 6/10

You may also enjoy: Storm Front (Harry Dresden #1) - audio of this series is win!! by James Butcher and Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas #1) by Dean Koontz
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
This was fun, and a very imaginative mix of ancient and new. Although there is plenty of action, it didn't just feel crash, bang, wallop - our druid has lots of deep motivations for what he does. Recommended. Terrible cover though. ( )
  Matt_B | May 1, 2015 |
What I find most satisfying about Kevin Hearne's work is the way he treats his women characters. They are full-blown people. Not just wimmens to be gawked at. Hearne does not flinch from giving the pretty ones awful traits, nor does he keep the not-so-pretty ones from being beautiful people. He does not deny the deep sexual attraction Atticus can have to some of them (magically induced or not) but he gives reason for Atticus to act (or not) on those impulses. There's a lot of talking about baseball when Atticus is trying to concentrate on staying focused. This is not to imply that Atticus is a horn-dog or that there's a lot of sexual tension going on. There's not, but when it moves the plot forward, Hearne is not shy about allowing his characters to feel what would be natural. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 6, 2015 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,063,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible