Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One…

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, Iron Druid, WLS, RBU

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

English (180)  Piratical (1)  All languages (181)
Hounded is the first book about Atticus O´Sullivan, the last surviving druid. He lives in Arizona and runs an occult bookshop. And when he doesn’t do that, he tries to stay alive since he has been for hunted for centuries by an angry Celtic god that wants a sword he happened to take from a battlefield a long time ago.

Druids, gods and goddesses, werewolves and vampire and, of course, throw it some witches in the story and you have Hounded. And of course, we can’t forget Oberon, Atticus Irish wolfhound. This book is nonstop action from the first page to the last. It was a great read and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

I found the book refreshing to read. Nice to follow a druids adventures in an urban fantasy instead of a werewolf, vampire or a witch. Of course, all of those are in the book, but I don’t mind. A druid Is something new. And I like Atticus, I like his humor; “Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” This book has some great lines! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
Well, this was a lot better than I expected! The cover makes this look like a paranormal romance. It’s not. It’s a humorous urban-fantasy adventure. Think: a much more light-hearted, slightly less PC Charles de Lint.

Atticus O’Sullivan is a two-thousand-year-old Druid. He’s developed awesome powers over the centuries, but maintains the appearances of a handsome 22-year-old, and keeps up with his pop culture, in order to blend in. Lately, he’s been living quietly in Arizona, running a New Age book-and-herbal shop (used by the author as an excuse for a couple of outdated and unnecessary complaints about marijuana users, oh well). However, the Tuatha Dé Danann have tracked him down, and soon Atticus (and his faithful dog, Oberon) will find himself facing his ancient enemy, Aengus Óg. A variety of figures from the Celtic pantheon turn up, as well as assorted vampires, werewolves, witches, demons, giants, and what have you. Bear in mind, the whole convoluted scenario is tongue-in-cheek – if you’re looking for high drama, look elsewhere. But I found the book to be fun, light reading.

I’d say the main target audience for the book is geek guys – but there’ll be some general crossover for many Pratchett and Gaiman fans, as well.

I received a copy of this book through Goodreads' First Reads giveaway. Thanks! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
2000 year old Druid with a vampire and a werewolf for lawyers currently living in Arizonia...what's not to love; and who wouldn't love a talking Irish wolfhound as your loyal companion; I read the first three of this series in order and can hardly wait for book 4, Tricked ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
Cool new start to a new series/world building. Atticus is a 2000 year old Druid living with his Irish Wolfhound Oberon. They have the ability to mind talk and the dog has a sense of humor. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This was such a fun read. I can't remember the last time I sat down to read a book that I couldn't put down. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,188,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible