Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One…

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, Iron Druid, WLS, RBU

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

English (193)  Piratical (1)  All languages (194)
As a fan of Dresden Files and a mythology buff, I was recommended this series more times than I can count. On top of that, my very noticeable Irish blood in my genes had my friends practically shoving this down my throat. "You'll LOVE it! It is right up your alley!" And I wish it was.

Let me start off with I didn't manage to finish the book. I have spent the past 2 months trying to finish this book. It wasn't that the book was hard to read or anything like that (on the contrary it is a light read), I was just so uninterested. Instead of slowly getting to know the characters and watching them develop, we get a massive dump of information and get reminded every few paragraphs how fantastic our protagonist is from the very beginning.

Since this series is so often compared to the Dresden Files (which I'm going to say now and state that I have a lot of issues with that series and it is far from perfect, but I still enjoy it despite this), let me just say why this fails compared to it on a protagonist level. Harry Dresden is a flawed character. He has a good amount of power, but he often has to rely on friends and he messes up a lot. He is relatable and we feel his struggles and ambitions with him. He grows and changes. Our Druid here instead is just Mr. I Am Perfect In Every Way. There is apparently nothing he can't handle. Now you'd think, "well yeah, of course he has to be. He is older than even Jesus!", but that doesn't make him an enjoyable POV to read from. Not only that, but he is a major ladies man that can even get goddesses in bed with him (not to say Harry doesn't get some ladies, but seriously. You'd think this guy was the last man on the planet. We know he is apparently the last Druid, but come on now). In a more comedic story, a protagonist like this can work, but here it is more annoying than anything else. It is a constant, "Let me remind you how awesome I am." flow through the book.

Now on to the info dumps, I understand that with a series that involves practically every mythological pantheon that you're going to have to explain some things in case your readers are unfamiliar with such topics. However, it goes beyond that and about every bit of backstory our Druid has is told by him to someone else and he talks for paragraphs. These aren't enjoyable to read and makes me feel the author is incapable of giving us his backstory in any other way, or any other back story for that matter. These scenes are boring and are a big no-no in writing. You might as well have him sitting at a cafe in the beginning and telling a stranger his life story.

Finally, the plot itself....shallow. Which is to be expected from a lighter novel. However, considering the lack of proper character development, it makes the plot's shallowness even more apparent and disappointing.

I wanted to like this so much. It has so many elements that I like and I would think I want together, but here it's just a bland read. Instead of reading about important events and back story and experiencing it, I'm being told it in massive quantities. I want to like the protagonist, and in many ways I do, but his lack of proper flaws (being easily seduced is not a proper character flaw, it's a quirk.) keep me from seeing him more than "Mr. Perfect and Overpowered".

Maybe one day I'll try to give this series a shot again, but for now, I just can't see why people find it so grand. ( )
  FairestEve | Aug 24, 2016 |
It's an interesting premise, but I distrust the power curve, and the protagonist comes across as...aware of his own greatness. ( )
  cjrecordvt | Aug 13, 2016 |
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Series is really a lot of fun to read.  Without putting in any spoilers, I think Oberon is hysterical!! ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
I know I keep saying this but I think I'm trapped/hooked/spiraling out-of-control! I have NEVER liked books that contain a blood'n'guts aspect . . . so WHY have I found myself focusing on vampire/witch/werewolf/sword/amulet/sorcery stuff?!?! Who knows. Regardless, Kevin Hearne's Hounded held my interest from start to finish . . blood, guts 'n' all. *sigh* FIVE STARS - for excitement, an adorable dog and an equally adorable Irishman who won my heart! Thanks, Patrick Rothfuss, for the review that turned me to the dark side! ;) ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
The only book in a very long time that had me up until the wee hours to finish. If I ever grow up, I want to be a druid when I do.
  Ricowan | May 4, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,362,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible