Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One…

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne

Member:jamespurcell
Title:Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, Iron Druid, WLS, RBU

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

I absolutely loved this book from start to finish. Atticus, a 2,100 year old druid, took a sword that a Celtic god thinks belongs to him. And so, he chases Atticus around the world for thousands of years. Meanwhile, Atticus becomes very good at staying alive...

Hearne was able to mix mythology and ancient concepts with the modern era in a quirky and very enjoyable way. He brought in werewolves, vampires, and witches without becoming all "Twilight-y", the depictions of the various creatures were gritty and pretty scary.

I loved Hearne's depiction of the druid religion. Atticus isn't just some dude in a robe. He's an earth-bound warrior priest who can change his shape and do all sorts of other awesome earth magic type things. He can also converse with his dog, which provided some great comic relief and some of my favorite exchanges.

Hearne introduces multiple pantheons of gods into this world so the possibilities that this series can explore are very broad, which is exciting. He also made the followers of the different gods totally unique so, for example, Atticus doesn't understand how the witches do magic, he just knows that they can. Not knowing what the enemy can do makes the action so much more tense!

The pace of this novel was gripping. There wasn't really a down moment. It was action all the way, which was great fun to read and made it hard to put the book down. I lost some sleep time to this amazing page turner.

I am definitely reading more of this series. It's a lot of fun! If you love urban fantasy, this is a must read. ( )
  HeidiWiechert | Sep 10, 2014 |
I hope the next book will be better. I've heard rave reviews of this series & read a short story prelude to it. Not bad, although this one spent a lot of time on the back story. It wasn't terrible, but certainly not elegantly done. It was fun & I'm going to read the next book, so that says a lot.

It's pretty typical urban fantasy, but with different critters than are normal. Lots of Celtic stuff in this one & the next, [b:Hexed|9595650|Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)|Kevin Hearne|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320539847s/9595650.jpg|14482685], should have Norse gods in it if the broad hints in the first one mean anything. Norse gods are fun, too. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Atticus O'Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old--when in actuality, he's twenty-one "centuries" old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he's hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power--plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish--to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil. ( )
1 vote cay250 | Aug 17, 2014 |
This was something fresh and new. I liked Atticus and loved Polish witches. It was a funny read. I will definitely read the other books in the series. ( )
  rienna | Aug 10, 2014 |
HOUNDED is a great start to an urban fantasy series. Atticus O'Sullivan is trying to live peacefully in Tempe, Arizona, with his wolfhound Oberon. But since he is the last Druid and is holding a magic sword that a very angry Celtic god wants back, a peaceful life is not in his near future.

Atticus has to call on all his 2100 hundred years to juggle Celtic gods, Polish witches, and demons. I liked the world that was created by Hearne. I liked the idea that Atticus is using 21st Century tactics including lawyers and lawsuits in his defense. I especially liked that his lawyers were werewolves and vampires.

Atticus' relationship with his wolfhound Oberon and his elderly neighbor Mrs. MacDonagh help to humanize this very powerful magic user. I enjoyed the way he kept up with current pop culture while maintaining his heritage.

I can't wait to read more books in this series and have lots to go. Book 7 was just released on June 17. This book had a similar feel to the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. Fans of that series should also enjoy this one. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 14, 2014 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,796,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible