Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One…

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne

1,8111973,860 (3.96)256
Member:jamespurcell
Title:Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Kevin Hearne
Info:Del Rey (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Science Fiction, Iron Druid, WLS, RBU

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

English (203)  German (1)  All (204)
Hounded is the first book about Atticus O´Sullivan, the last surviving druid. He lives in Arizona and runs an occult bookshop. And when he doesn’t do that, he tries to stay alive since he has been for hunted for centuries by an angry Celtic god that wants a sword he happened to take from a battlefield a long time ago.

Druids, gods and goddesses, werewolves and vampire and, of course, throw it some witches in the story and you have Hounded. And of course, we can’t forget Oberon, Atticus Irish wolfhound. This book is nonstop action from the first page to the last. It was a great read and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

I found the book refreshing to read. Nice to follow a druids adventures in an urban fantasy instead of a werewolf, vampire or a witch. Of course, all of those are in the book, but I don’t mind. A druid Is something new. And I like Atticus, I like his humor; “Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” This book has some great lines! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 20, 2017 |
A fun, fast read that intrigues you with its magic and then makes you laugh out loud. Great first book, and definitely recommended for fans of Dresden Files. ( )
  Alliebadger | Feb 13, 2017 |
I classified this as Urban Fantasy", but after thinking about it, I think it really comes down more in the "Para-normal" camp.

I hate & despise paranormal.

But a couple of my guy friends here on GR had given it high scores, so I had to try it.

It was ok. Atticus came across as a 200 year old badass, not some 2100 year old. I don't know if having the hormones and body of a 21 year old for 2000 years does that to one, or what, but he did NOT seem that old.
Someone that old is going to have scars, emotional and mental, that can't just be shrugged off and ignored. Maybe it came from his usually running away? But if that were the case, he wouldn't have fought like he did in this book.

So a pretty good story. I definitely would have given it 4 stars, but for all the beautiful women who just can't seem to ignore him. It was completely ridiculous. Utterly gratuitous descriptions of goddesses & boink-worthy barmaids added nothing to the story and in fact detracted from the seriousness of the situation.

We'll see how the rest of the trilogy turns out." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Edit Jan. 24, 2016:
On re-reading with an idea of what to expect, I like it better. You just have to accept that 2,100 year old druids have god-like powers and will be able to take care of anything that comes at them. Easily.

Several of my friends really love this series, but I just couldn't get into it. I've blocked most of the details from my mind in order to maintain my sanity, but I remember thinking the plot was rather ridiculous and just got worse. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
A fun, supernatural adventure, "Hounded" was a good, light read when I needed a break from some of the meatier books I often consume. There were some genuinely funny moments that made me chuckle aloud and Kevin Hearne included enough tidbits from various mythologies to make me interested in his world. I did roll my eyes a bit at how pretty all the female characters were and how easily some of them fell into bed with Atticus, but the action and magic helped make up for that. I will definitely be continuing with the series after this. ( )
  AdrienneHood | Oct 31, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hounded by Kevin Hearne was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,509,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible