Dreams of Joy: A Novel by Lisa See

Dreams of Joy: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Lisa See

Title:Dreams of Joy: A Novel
Authors:Lisa See
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

Dreams of Joy by Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Another novel of fascinating cultural detail by Lisa See.
    Daughter of China: A True Story of Love and Betrayal by Meihong Xu (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: More about the Cultural revolution in China. This is nonfiction.

English (113)  Dutch (1)  All languages (114)
This book starts out right where Shanghai Girls left off (I won't say too much about that since it would give away the ending of Shanghai Girls). I was reeled right in from the get go and I was kept interested and involved throughout. See provides great atmospheric language and I felt like I was in the middle of China during the late 1950's. The story unfolds with tension but also with well deserved admiration for the strength of these wonderful female characters. Just when I was convinced all was lost and doom was inevitable, the characters' resilience would once again lift them from despair and unbelievably dire circumstances. I love the examination of the mother-daughter relationship that is a central theme in both Shanghai Girls and Dreams of Joy- this is one of the most complicated relationships in human nature and See expertly relates the pitfalls but more importantly the joys that are integral and obvious to anyone engaged in this dynamic - either as a mother or a daughter. There is a great deal of very interesting and educational historical information in this book as well. Definitely recommend! ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
I couldn't put this down and enjoyed it much more than Shanghai Girls (and that was good, too!). ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
Started off a little slow, but I was really invested in the second half of the book. This was really the first time I'd read any description of what life was like for Chinese citizens (either native or repatriated) during Mao's Great Leap Forward. I realized how much I really don't know about that period of history from a non-U.S. perspective, and the historical background was incredibly fascinating (sad, but fascinating). Lisa See clearly did a lot of research to write this book, and it paid off. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
This is my fifth of Lisa See's books, and my favorite so far. The story is incredible; my stomach was in knots for almost the entire last third of the book. I can't wait for whatever she writes next!
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I LOVED the first book, Shanghai Girls. While this book was good, it definitely was not as good as Shanghai Girls. On the plus side, it did give a lot of interesting views of China during the Great Leap Forward. The characters were interesting and the relationships were so multi-faceted and well developed. However, there were just too many far fetched scenes especially at the end where people are saved a minute before something horrible would happen to them or too many far fetched coincidences. (Trying not to give away any of the plot so I'm not writing specifics) Overall it was a good book, but definitely not as great as Shanghai Girls. ( )
  KamGeb | Jan 25, 2016 |
Although the ending betrays See’s roots in genre fiction, this is a riveting, meticulously researched depiction of one of the world’s worst human-engineered catastrophes.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 15, 2011)
With each new novel, Lisa See gets better and better. Each work is more tightly woven, richer with information, its characters more memorable than the last....And so it is with "Dreams of Joy," which picks up where "Shanghai Girls" left off, giving us the story of a young Chinese American woman's search for her father and her three-year odyssey in the People's Republic during Mao Tse-tung's Great Leap Forward. The scope of the novel is astonishing — including the ingenious ways Chinese women handled their menstrual periods and the carefully concealed and shocking stories of starvation in the communes, the suffocating collectives into which the country was divided...The novel is front-loaded with all of these revelations, and continues to move extremely quickly until the very end — one of those hard-to-put-down-until-four-in-the-morning books — but happily, the action is not all external
Crowd-pleaser See continues the story she began in Shanghai Girls with this compelling account of life inside the People's Republic of China during Mao's disastrous "Great Leap Forward." ...See writes vividly about China's people, places and customs; her descriptions of various state banquets will bring on hunger pangs. That such feasts were served while millions starved is a sobering history lesson in the midst of this engrossing saga about two tiger mothers of an earlier day.

Lisa Seeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Song, JanetNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father, Richard See
The wail of a police siren in the distance tears through my body. Crickets whirr in a never-ending chorus of blame.

A continuation of "Shanghai Girls" finds a devastated Joy fleeing to China to search for her real father while her mother, Pearl, desperately pursues her, a dual quest marked by their encounters with the nation's intolerant Communist culture.

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dreams of Joy by Lisa See was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,695,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible