Brave New Worlds: Dystopian Stories by John…

Brave New Worlds: Dystopian Stories

by John Joseph Adams (Editor)

Other authors: Ray Bradbury (Contributor), Orson Scott Card (Contributor), Ursula K. Le Guin (Contributor)

A comprehensive compilation of dystopian fiction, from classic stories to brand-new ones.

Not only is this a great collection of dystopian short stories, it's a nice round-up of speculative fiction in general. It includes two of my all-time favorite stories: "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson and "Those Who Walk Away from Omelos" by Ursula K. Le Guin. There are several essential classics that I hadn't yet read, including "The Minority Report" by Philip K. Dick, "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut and "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" by Harlan Ellison, as well as stories by Ray Bradbury, J.G. Ballard, Kate Wilhelm, James Morrow, Kim Stanley Robinson, Robert Silverberg, Orson Scott Card, Paolo Bacigalupi and Cory Doctorow, plus a comic written by Neil Gaiman. As with any anthology, this one can be uneven; I'm not a fan of Geoff Ryman, for instance, so I'm not sure why he's the only author with two selections. Overall, though, the quality of the writing is very high, and the ideas presented are chilling and thought-provoking, which is what a good dystopian story should be. Adams has arranged the stories more or less by theme, which is interesting, especially since all the gender-based dystopias are together. However, it might have been interesting to read them chronologically, too, to see how our societal fears have changed over the years. I'm happy to include this anthology with my small collection of short stories on sub-genres that particularly engage me: gothic, apocalyptic and now dystopian.

Read in 2015 for the SFFCat. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 26, 2015 |
A few decent stories, but overall disappointing. ... And I love - LOVE - dystopian stories/ novels. Get it from the library and flip through it. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Early on when I was reading this collection I found I had to put it down because of the sheer weight of all the visions of human misery. Dystopias can be depressing! Who could have guessed. After a while, though, the sheer variety of dystopic invention would continue to provide excuses to keep pressing on, as if I were a tourist among places which were each beset with their own private version of Hell, but able to move on in fifteen pages or so. Some of the characters are crushed by the oppression and some are able to defeat it, and some are completely unaware that they have any choice in the matter. All of them have something to say to the sensitive citizen in Western society.

John Joseph Adams is a stickler for the proper use of terminology, carefully separating true dystopia stories which all have more-or-less intact governing structures from post-apocalyptic tales such as the ones in his other collections which speak to a very different set of preoccupations for modern people. He calls this out in his Introduction here. Few post-apocalyptic tales show those in charge attempting to paint their societies as utopias, for instance, as the Adam-Troy Castro story in this volume does. The great majority of the stories collected here are reprints, but with the current trend toward dystopia in Young Adult fiction, I think a second volume could be put together without undue fuss.

Worth a five-star rating just by including Shirley Jackson's The Lottery and Carrie Vaughn's The Amaryllis. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
Autología de relatos distopianos francamente interesante, con algunos cuentos sobresalientes (tanto clásicos como modernos). ( )
  cuentosalgernon | Oct 10, 2013 |

Adams, John JosephEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, RayContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Card, Orson ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Le Guin, Ursula K.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Christie
Shirley Jackson, best known for penning this classic story, was the author of several novels, such as We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Haunting of Hill House, the latter of which has been adapted to film twice (both times as The Haunting).
Nineteen Eighty-Four, Fahrenheit 451, and, of course, the book this anthology is named for--Brave New World--are the cornerstones of dystopian literature in novel form, but there has never, to my knowledge, been an anthology containing all the best, classic works of dystopian short fiction in one volume. (from the Introduction)
The book "Selections from Brave New Worlds: Dystopian Stories" is a subset of the book "Brave New Worlds: Dystopian Stories". Please do not combine these two volumes.

YOU ARE BEING WATCHED

When the government wields its power against its own people, every citizen becomes an enemy of the state. Will you fight the system, or be ground to dust beneath the boot of tyranny?

In his smash-hit anthologies Wastelands and The Living Dead, acclaimed editor John Joseph Adams showed you what happens when society is utterly wiped away. Now he brings you a glimpse into an equally terrifying future — what happens when civilization invades and dictates every aspect of your life?

From 1984 to The Handmaid’s Tale, from Children of Men to Bioshock, the dystopian imagination has been a vital and gripping cautionary force. Brave New Worlds collects twenty-eight of the best tales of dystopian menace by some of today’s most visionary writers.

SHORT STORIES. You are being watched. Your every movement is being tracked, your every word recorded. Your spouse may be an informer, your children may be listening at your door, your best friend may be a member of the secret police. You are alone among thousands, among great crowds of the brainwashed, the well-behaved, the loyal. Productivity has never been higher, the media blares, and the army is ever triumphant. One wrong move, one slip-up, and you may find yourself disappeared -- swallowed up by a monstrous bureaucracy, vanished into a shadowy labyrinth of interrogation chambers, show trials, and secret prisons from which no one ever escapes. Welcome to the world of the dystopia, a world of government and society gone horribly, nightmarishly wrong.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,867,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible