Yiddish with Dick and Jane by Ellis Weiner

Yiddish with Dick and Jane (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Ellis Weiner (Author)

What better (or funnier) language than Yiddish to express those shades of feeling and nuances of meaning that plain and old boring English just can't deliver? And who better than our old friends Dick and Jane, and their little sister, Sally, to teach us? The text uses familiar rhythms of the original Dick and Jane primers, along with 40 all-new illustrations, to tell a timeless and classic story that everyone can relate to: what it's like to grow up in a perfect world and then come to terms with reality.… (more)
Member:hanina2
Title:Yiddish with Dick and Jane
Authors:Ellis Weiner (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2004), Edition: 1st Edition, 112 pages

Yiddish with Dick and Jane by Ellis Weiner (2004)

Fun little novelty book for Jews who grew up with a bisl of Yiddish getting thrown into everyday conversation. Its a 15 minute read that will make you smile. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 10, 2018 |
Dick and Jane's wholesome little world becomes new, modern, and complicated while teaching the average Gentile a little useful Yiddish. Fun, funny, and just sarcastic enough.

2/7/11 Loaned this to someone and, just getting back, I had to read it again. Here's an excerpt that illustrates why I love this little book so much.

From the Glossary

rachmones (rahch-MUN-ness) -- compassion, fellow feeling, empathy, pity. "The Rachmones" would also make a very nice name for a sensitive Yiddish punk rock group. ( )
1 vote Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book right here reminds me of home more than any other book that I own. This isn't teaching Yiddish more than it is teaching Yinglish which brings back so many happy memories. The few happy memories of childhood. Yinglish was the language of safety. I never read any of the Dick & Jane stories when I was younger, but this really brings me home. ( )
  melsmarsh | Feb 12, 2013 |
A delicious parody of an early primer, Dick and Jane are a happy mother and father with two happy children, follow their happy adventures - and learn some Yiddish at the same time!
  Chris_V | Jun 7, 2009 |
A hilarious satire of Dick and Jane incorporating and teaching Yiddish phrases. ( )
2 vote brendajanefrank | Oct 22, 2007 |

Ellis Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davilman, BarbaraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Payn, GabiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible