Another Kind of Dead by Kelly Meding

Another Kind of Dead

by Kelly Meding

Series: Dreg City (3)

I have very few authors I have on my "go to" list, but Kelly Meding just joined my group. Evy is a well rounded character, as are her co-characters. The story lines are interesting enough that I have spent more than one night into the wee hours reading (and suffering for it the next morning --- yawn ---) but every minute is worth it. Plotting is smooth, the story line is fast paced and interesting. I am reading every one of Kelly's 'Evy' books, and will be watching for more from this writer.
  soireadthisbooktoday | May 4, 2014 |
Disappointed. This didn't really have much new and the old was redundant in spades.

So crazed bad guy makes Evy's life a living nightmare. Sound familiar, well yeah, the first two books. So, Wyatt and Evy's position or plans are tracked down and thwarted at least 4 times in this book. surveillance at the first trade off, following the goblin hybred, the cabin's position, the capture of the changeling, the apartment (with the investigator) and then finally the tracking plan Thackery, the bad guy, seems to be omniscient and they play into his hands over and over. He seems to know that they will negociate with the terrorists, twice, even though he one ups them both times. He seems to be all powerful taking down one of the most badass changeling in front of everyone. Evy's "team" just doesn't seem to have any ability to do anything.

Most of this book is the bad guy manipulating everything, torturing Evy over and over and hurting her friends. Sound familiar? First time Evy gets attacked suffers horribly, which shouldn't have happened in the first place because she shouldn't have been the one to answer the phone. She shouldn't have been the one at the trade. She should have never become involved there. Second time. She gets attacked again, while been under protection, way out of any range of tracking abilities and suffers horribly and then over reacts emotionally. The bad guy screws their plans again They then make a plan that again goes wrong, and Thackery ends up with a "friend". How? who knows because the shapeshifter is a badass. He tortures him terribly, more torture Oh now another negotiation with a terrorist or his terms. More torture, and her "team" doesn't even find her. It is just by coincidence that she is saved by a dreg friend trying to save his own person.

And in the end, you don't get a conclusion, it is all left in the air. Thackery doesn't get caught, no spy is found and nothing is explained as how he has so much power and omniscience. There is another big conflict/war scene which drags on, is very bloody violent, and actually kind of boring. We never understand why the attack happened or the purpose. More questions are left than answered.

So why the 2 stars, because I actually liked the romance and there was a little furthering of the Evy character and her abilities. I never liked the triads and think they are an evil organization. From the first book you learn how bad they are - they kill of 1/2 of the applicants by making them fight one another to the death. and they repeat it here. This organizations bottom rung is made up of criminals that will fight for their lives but in no way do I see a connection to each other. She keeps on saying how connected she was but the camaraderie is never shown, only the discord.

I keep hoping that the Triads and upper echelon will be over turned and a more just and integrated policing of the dregs starts happening. Instead each book is about Evy fighting some bad guy with the upper hand and the triads always having some bad part to play in it. Evy and her friends getting hurt and/or tortured multiple times. And then we are left thinking, this is really not a world I would like to live in.

It was OK because of the furthering of Evy and Wyatt but the redundancy of the plot and torture and violence leaves it flat. Then the non-ending... just made it so/so. This was hard for me to get through. I put it down frequently and was rolling my eyes and just out right mad, a lot of the time.

Get some new material. Fix the triads and bosses. Do something else. I'll read the next but if it is the same, I'll quit. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
  Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |
This stuff is like Crack to me. This is pure ID-satisfying non-stop entertainment: action, aching, grief, pain, excitement, searching, loss, vengeance, loneliness, magic, intimacy, science, deep friendship, agony, intensity, fear, violence, rage, lust, power, greed, battle, passion, showdown, torture, love and an ending having me logging in to the library to request the next one ASAP.

Yes there were a couple of problems with the story--why is she the one to make the calls/see the proof, how could anyone just check blood for any abnormality-- and those of my friends who don't like the deep-love-like-no-other would gag at this relationship, but it's exactly what I am looking for when I want a good can't-put-down emotionally intense read. And this time she's added a gay male couple (well it isn't quite spelled out yet but the protagonist has figured it out) which just makes me feel all squiggly inside which bumps Meding up to Rob Thurman status in my book of 5 star Urban Fantasy Writers.

I think I need a cold shower. ;) ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

I think I need a cold shower. ;) ( )
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

Kelly Medingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

No longer able to trust her former allies or even the highest echelons of the Triads, Evy Stone, gifted with extraordinary powers, discovers that she is the key to a brilliant vampire-obsessed scientist's ultimate experiment in mad science.

105 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,894,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible