Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge

Page by Paige (edition 2011)

by Laura Lee Gulledge

A nice story about finding yourself. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
“Page by Paige” by Laura Lee Gulledge tells the story of Paige, a 16-year old girl, who has just moved from Charlottesville, Virginia, to New York. She doesn’t know anybody in this big city, and she feels lonely and scared. She decides to buy a sketchbook and record her thoughts and emotions with drawings. In her musings, she remarks: “I think I was born with my eyes facing the wrong way. Because they’re always looking back into my head rather than looking out”. This sentiment rings true to all of us introverts, and I could certainly identify with the feeling of not fitting in. But what I loved the most in this graphic novel is the fact that the story is semi-autobiographical. Laura Lee Gulledge also moved from Virginia to New York, and art helped her handling stress and depression. This is the author’s first graphic novel.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Apr 2, 2014 |
Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge is included in 2012's YALSA top ten. Paige Turner, daughter of a pair of writers, is coming to terms with their move to New York City. She's lived her entire life in a small town and now she's floundering in a ginormous metropolis: new school and no friends.

To overcome the feelings of being a fish out of water, Paige gets herself a sketch book. Each month she follows her one of her grandmother's rules for being an artist. These rules are of the pep-talk variety, and not specifically artistic techniques. As Paige goes through the list, she makes a core set of friends, gains some self confidence and finds her place in NYC.

Artistically the graphic novel is solid. We see Paige through her artwork and through her experimentation. It's a bit like traveling through her id (see the "Journey to the Center of Candace" episode of Phineas and Ferb).

But that's not a unique thing in this type of graphic novel (kid with an artistic bent moves towns). A more credible example is Doodlebug by Karen Romano Young. Paige irks me in two ways: her complete self absorption and her amazing art skills for someone so new at drawing.

Recommended by Burnt Weiners ( )
  pussreboots | Mar 1, 2014 |
I really liked the story and the artwork, a great book to get into the hands of a teen who is doing a bit of soul searching and feeling out of place. I felt Paige's voice was very realistic. My only concern is that the bands mentioned on the t-shirts will date the comic a bit. Still, gorgeous artwork that is sure to inspire the reader to pursue their own forgotten passion. ( )
  orangerful | Aug 21, 2013 |
Beautiful little graphic novel that captures teen angst, friendships and learning to be true to your art/yourself. Lovely gift for quirky creatives that need a friendly book to make them realize they're not alone. ( )
  Micalhut | Aug 20, 2013 |

Paige Turner has just moved to New York with her family, and she's having some trouble adjusting to the big city. In the pages of her sketchbook, she tries to make sense of her new life, including trying out her secret identity: artist. As she makes friends and starts to explore the city, she slowly brings her secret identity out into the open, a process that is equal parts terrifying and rewarding.

Laura Lee Gulledge crafts stories and panels with images that are thought-provoking, funny, and emotionally resonant. Teens struggling to find their place can see themselves in Paige's honest, heartfelt story.

Praise for Page by Paige
“Gulledge's b&w illustrations are simple but well-suited to their subject matter; the work as a whole is a good-natured, optimistic portrait of a young woman evolving toward adulthood.” –Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:57 -0400)

When Paige Turner and her family move to New York City from rural Virginia, she tries to make sense of her new life through her sketchbook, and it helps bring her true personality into the open, a process that is equal parts terrifying and rewarding.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible