Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Tempest Rising

by Tracy Deebs

2082784,176 (3.57)2

There was no one thing that I particularly DISLIKED in this book, but I was just reeeally bored while reading it, so I skipped to the end and read the last two chapters.

I don't think I missed out on anything. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Tempest Rising was oddly thrilling for a book about mermaids. I must confess that this is the first time i have read about a mermaid since the little mermaid picture book I had as a kid. it was bold, sassy and just the right amount of dark.
Which is why it gets four out of five emerald tails. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |
This book is just like every other mermaid/magic creature/paranormal book out there. Tempest has to make a choice between land and sea, hot boy and other hot boy. What I didn't see coming was the fact that sea hot boy is a seal. A seal prince, but a seal nonetheless. (okay, okay, technically he's a selkie) I hated how Kona kept Tempest in the dark, refusing to answer most of her questions. "You're not ready for the answers." He's known her for a few weeks, how would he know that she can't handle getting the answers? I also hate how every guy in these kinds of books talks down the the main character. "I know everything about magic-magic world and you don't get to know anything. You want answers? NO! You don't get any. But I'll make out with you to placate you and stop you from asking more questions." There are so many different takes on mermaids, but the author decides to go with: Lalalalalalala I have a magic fishy tail lalalalalalalalalala. Yes, there's a prophecy and a big fight scene and a big bad meany-pants enemy, but let's be clear: Tempest Rising is about Kona and Tempest's relationship. OMG you're so hot. OMG let's go to the magic seal kingdom. OMG big fight scene. OMG run away. OMG run back. Just like in every other book like this, Tempest is super in love with Kona but leaves him anyway: Boohoo, I love you so much. *jumps into the ocean with the intent of never seeing him again* Of course, she ends up running back to him. Just. Like. All. The other. Books. Not only is there no point to the runs-away/runs-back thing, Tempest abandons her family for a boy. The mom has already left, now they will have had two family member willingly leave them. What about Tempest's youngest brother? Who's going to stop Rio from picking on him? Who's going to help him with his spelling words? Who's going to make him pancakes and pack his lunch and read him bedtime stories? In the beginning, Tempest insists that she will choose to stay on land because she refuses to be like her mother. Her mother returned to the sea because she had to help save the people and the home she had known for over six hundred years from certain doom. Tempest is a cruel and heartless girl who abandons her already heartbroken family for a hot boy she's known for a little under a month. Also, she gets her mom killed. Great going there, Tempest. You didn't just totally beat your mom for the title of Worst Family Member Ever.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I actually liked this more than I thought I would. Sure, it includes all the paranormal romance tropes done in the usual ways, it lags in the middle, and it has a few annoying bits (for example, halfway through the book, I swore that if Tempest described her board-short-wearing surfer dad ONE MORE TIME as a surprisingly young-looking guy who dresses like her friends instead of a middle-aged dude, I was going to rip the book apart), but it's competently written and has an appealing protagonist with an actual hard choice to make. Okay, sure, she's a little typical of her genre, too, but she actually saves herself from being killed ON HER OWN, without using special powers, AND she also saves her (ridiculous, cliched) One True Love, Kai. (If you're reading this review and are mad because I just spoiled you about who she's going to end up with, I have this question for you: Have you ever read a paranormal romance before?) In fact, Tempest was just awesome enough that I even forgave her for being named Tempest. I even forgave her for being named Tempest in a book where it turns out she can control storms and is the subject of a prophecy that includes the words "Tempest rising".

That's a big deal, folks. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |

RATING: 3 stars.

I may or may not have mentioned before that I love mermaids. I love their mythology and I love "The Little Mermaid". So I must say I am pretty happy with this recent 'explosion' of mermaid 'heroines' in Urban Fantasy books. Too bad most of these books are targeted to younger crowds. That was actually my main problem with this particular book.

"Tempest Rising" is your typical Young Adult paranormal romance, complete with the whiny heroine, the inevitable love triangle and the insta-romance. Plus the story was a crossover between Harry Potter and... well, I suppose it reminded me a bit of "Goddess of the Sea" by P.C. Cast. Not too much though.

I actually really liked the author's descriptions of Tempests' gradual metamorphosis into mermaid. It seemed like it could actually happen that way and she mentioned details I haven't read in other mermaid related books (the breathing system, etc)... after all it's not only about the tail. I also thought the writing was very accessible and it pulled you into the book.

What I didn't like so much were all the flagrant stereotypes in the plot which were, as I referred before the love triangle, the insta-romance and the whiny heroine or the fact that I kept thinking it all looked like Harry Potter with mermaids and a sea witch instead of Voldemort. Come on, there was even a prophecy! :P

The characters weren't much better, as they were mostly stereotypes. I think the author tried some character development by having the characters talk and talk but unfortunately it didn't work as most of the dialogue 'sounded' kind of long-winded, circular and pointless. I really disliked Tempest sometimes, although overall I could stand her just fine. She just didn't have that much of a personality and the same happened with her love interests (one was jealous and the other was jealous and tortured/protective).

Overall, I enjoyed this book as a light, unoriginal read that features my favorite mythological creature. While Deebs did have moments of great world building, she failed at making this book something special... it's just another YA paranormal romance. A great, light and fun beach read.

slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her-and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:22 -0400)

On her seventeenth birthday, Tempest must decide whether to remain a human and live on land or submit to her mermaid half, like her mother before her, and enter into a long-running war under the sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,858,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible