Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Tempest Rising (edition 2011)

by Tracy Deebs

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Tempest Rising
Authors:Tracy Deebs
Info:Walker Childrens (2011), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I actually liked this more than I thought I would. Sure, it includes all the paranormal romance tropes done in the usual ways, it lags in the middle, and it has a few annoying bits (for example, halfway through the book, I swore that if Tempest described her board-short-wearing surfer dad ONE MORE TIME as a surprisingly young-looking guy who dresses like her friends instead of a middle-aged dude, I was going to rip the book apart), but it's competently written and has an appealing protagonist with an actual hard choice to make. Okay, sure, she's a little typical of her genre, too, but she actually saves herself from being killed ON HER OWN, without using special powers, AND she also saves her (ridiculous, cliched) One True Love, Kai. (If you're reading this review and are mad because I just spoiled you about who she's going to end up with, I have this question for you: Have you ever read a paranormal romance before?) In fact, Tempest was just awesome enough that I even forgave her for being named Tempest. I even forgave her for being named Tempest in a book where it turns out she can control storms and is the subject of a prophecy that includes the words "Tempest rising".

That's a big deal, folks. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |

RATING: 3 stars.

I may or may not have mentioned before that I love mermaids. I love their mythology and I love "The Little Mermaid". So I must say I am pretty happy with this recent 'explosion' of mermaid 'heroines' in Urban Fantasy books. Too bad most of these books are targeted to younger crowds. That was actually my main problem with this particular book.

"Tempest Rising" is your typical Young Adult paranormal romance, complete with the whiny heroine, the inevitable love triangle and the insta-romance. Plus the story was a crossover between Harry Potter and... well, I suppose it reminded me a bit of "Goddess of the Sea" by P.C. Cast. Not too much though.

I actually really liked the author's descriptions of Tempests' gradual metamorphosis into mermaid. It seemed like it could actually happen that way and she mentioned details I haven't read in other mermaid related books (the breathing system, etc)... after all it's not only about the tail. I also thought the writing was very accessible and it pulled you into the book.

What I didn't like so much were all the flagrant stereotypes in the plot which were, as I referred before the love triangle, the insta-romance and the whiny heroine or the fact that I kept thinking it all looked like Harry Potter with mermaids and a sea witch instead of Voldemort. Come on, there was even a prophecy! :P

The characters weren't much better, as they were mostly stereotypes. I think the author tried some character development by having the characters talk and talk but unfortunately it didn't work as most of the dialogue 'sounded' kind of long-winded, circular and pointless. I really disliked Tempest sometimes, although overall I could stand her just fine. She just didn't have that much of a personality and the same happened with her love interests (one was jealous and the other was jealous and tortured/protective).

Overall, I enjoyed this book as a light, unoriginal read that features my favorite mythological creature. While Deebs did have moments of great world building, she failed at making this book something special... it's just another YA paranormal romance. A great, light and fun beach read.

slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Tempest has a boyfriend who really adores her, a family that supports and loves and her and has the ability to spend her free time doing what she loves most - surfing. At almost 17 years of age the world should be filled with adventure for her but instead her seventeenth birthday represents a date with destiny that she would dearly love to avoid. On her 17th birthday Tempest will have the choice of becoming a mermaid and following in the footsteps of her mother, who abandoned her family six years ago, or stay on land and live out her life.

Though her father has told her repeatedly that there were complicated reasons why her mother left and that he bears her no ill will, Tempest is filled with feelings of extreme anger. She does not see becoming a mermaid as an incredible gift but an excuse to abandon one's family. No matter her desire to stay human, the sea constantly calls her and there are times when she is sure that the intent is nefarious. In the sea a selkie named Kona waits for her filled with nothing but love for her and on land there is the steady and every so human Mark. So not only is Tempest drawn between land and sea but to men who care for her.

Tempest Rising in not an inclusive story whatsoever or even remotely progressive. Tempest worries about how her brothers will be treated when the come of age as mermen because the mer society is matriarchal and apparently males of other species give mermen a hard time over that. The women are supposedly revered but from the conversation between Kony as his brothers it appears that their appeal is not their power or skill but the fact that they are attractive. The characters largely read as decidedly White with exception of Kona who could potentially be a of pacific Asian descent but this is a guess based loosely on his description. There are no GLBT characters and no disabled people. It always amazes me when authors prove they're imaginative enough to create a world different from our own, but somehow cannot take the leap far enough to make their stories inclusive.

The storyline was fairly simplistic even for a Y.A. paranormal story. Though Tempest had known Mark for years, in the end she cannot fight her attraction to Kona who she had only known for a few days. Of course, Deebs uses woo woo to justify the attraction and the all too soon declarations of love. I do however have a problem with Mark's character, though Deebs tried to frame the problems in Tempest's relationship with him around her inability to open up to him, his jealous and possessive behaviour is what Tempest really should have a problem with. There were times when Mark would touch her when it was clearly not a sign of affection but a declaration to others that Tempest was his property. Tempest was constantly on guard about not upsetting him, or giving him reason to be jealous. At one point Tempest even has to worry about Mark getting into a physical altercation with Kona because he is jealous. When Tempest disappears for two weeks, suddenly Mark is checking out cheerleaders. A man like that should not have been framed as a good boyfriend and in many ways he reminds me of Edward from Twilight.

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Tempest Rising- By Tracy Deebs
Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs was a pretty good book. I enjoyed it for the most part. I did have a bit of trouble with the pacing of the book at times. Towards the middle to end of the book I found myself getting a little bored and almost didn't finish reading it, but it did pick back up and ended on a good note.
I found the main character to be a little annoying, but she was still written well. She was selfish throughout most of the book. It was hard to relate to her whining when she was a something special and just needed to embrace it. She wasn’t a great girlfriend either. She did grow throughout the story, so I was able to like her a bit more towards the end.
The story isn't like most mermaid books, and I didn't expect what happened, to happen at all. The ending was surprising for me, I was kind of floored with the way it all went. A few things were predictable but the ending really was a shock for me.
I love the title and I absolutely love the cover, the tattoo looks awesome and I love the colors. The only thing I would change is the background, it seems a little bit plain to me. I think the cover was what drew me in for sure.
I would definitely read the second book. And tell my friends to read it too.
I would rate this a 3/5 stars. ( )
  ashyyrawrr | May 7, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A girl has to choose between a life as a mermaid and life as a human — which also means choosing which guy she wants to be with. Responsibility and desire battle inside Tempest but she can only choose one.

Opening Sentence: I was ten the first time I saw her.

The Review:

Tempest Maguire knows her mother was a mermaid. She also knows that someday, she too will have to choose between land and the ocean. She just didn’t think it would be such a hard choice. Since her mother left her father and her brothers six years ago, Tempest only blames her mother for the hardships her family experiences. The only bright spots are the early morning surfing sessions with the guys and her on again, off again boyfriend Mark. But even those comforts are waning as her seventeenth birthday approaches. According to the vague letter her mother left, after she turned seventeen she would have to choose water or land. But the signs are occurring before her birthday even passes. A slip-up on a surf board turns into a call from the ocean. A couple of cuts on her neck turns into gills when in water. This all happens before Tempest’s birthday. But even weirder (although a lot more appealing) thing turns up. Kona (also named Kia in the ARCs — agh ARCs,) a strange surfer she meets on the beach in the middle of a raging storm, seems to know more about her than he’s letting on. As her birthday comes and goes, her draw to the ocean increases — and the danger it houses grows stronger. Tempest is still doubtful she even wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps. But then an awful disaster quickly changes her mind. But Mark will always be above on land waiting for her — while Kona holds her close down in the depths of the ocean. A hard choice. But one that will decide the fate of an entire population.

I loved the guys in this story. The heroine isn’t really my cup of tea — she is very fickle and is too stubborn to see what’s right in front of her (but then again, who isn’t?) But the guys on the other hand, I love to pieces! Mark is the caring and patient boyfriend that will stay loyal even when Tempest is a jerk to him. But Kona is sweet and mysterious and oh so swoon-worthy. Kona is the only one outside her family that knows about her secret, but Mark knows her – her personality, likes, dislikes, etc. It’s so hard to choose between the two!

The characters were the highlight of the book. The plot on the other hand…snail-slow beginning with a NASCAR race at the end. It was so hard to get into this story. I had to put it down and come back to it multiple times. But once I got to the climax, events started rushing together into a huge crash. I felt that the beginning was too drawn out and the end had no breathing room. But now that I’ve read it, I’m glad I did. Now that the world-building is finished an the character arcs are set in place, this story has nowhere to go but up.

If you can overcome a dull opening and a high speed-paced ending (with a shocker that will leave you gaping,) then this story is perfect for you. Not exactly only predictable or only unpredictable, Tempest Rising tests your patience but the reward is worth it in the end. And the great news? The second book is already out! Cliffhanger? Not to worry! Just pick up Tempest Unleashed at the same time!

Notable Scene:

In that moment of indecision, I was more aware of the role fate played in my life than I had ever been before. As far as I could tell, I had two choices. I could turn around, try to retrace my path back home, and hope that everything would be all right. Or I could continue down after Kona, and hope that everything would be all right.

It was a fifty-fifty shot either way.

Through it all, there was a tug in my stomach. A pressure in my spine. A nearly irresistible urge to go deep, no matter what the consequences were.

I closed my eyes, counted to ten. And then dove straight down, telling myself as I did that I had finally and completely lost my mind.

FTC Advisory: Bloomsbury/Walker Childrens provided me with a copy of Tempest Rising. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Nov 25, 2012 |

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her-and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:16 -0400)

On her seventeenth birthday, Tempest must decide whether to remain a human and live on land or submit to her mermaid half, like her mother before her, and enter into a long-running war under the sea.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,319,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible