Naked City by Ellen Datlow

Naked City

by Ellen Datlow (Editor)

Other authors: Nathan Ballingrud (Contributor), Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Holly Black (Contributor), Richard Bowes (Contributor)15 more, Patricia Briggs (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Pat Cadigan (Contributor), John Crowley (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor), Christopher Fowler (Contributor), Caitlin R. Kiernan (Contributor), Matthew Kressel (Contributor), Ellen Kushner (Contributor), Melissa Marr (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Kit Reed (Contributor), Lucius Shepard (Contributor), Delia Sherman (Contributor), Lavie Tidhar (Contributor)

Series: Riverside (Short story "The Duke Of Riverside", 1.2), Graveminder (Short Story "Guns for the Dead", 1.5), The Dresden Files (Short Story "Curses", 10.6)

3773428,622 (3.37)1 / 17

"Curses" by Jim Butcher: This is my first (and so far, only) Jim Butcher and somehow I expected more. It was interesting, and everything pulled together in a clever way, but "clever" is about the strongest word I can use. 3/5
"How the Pooka Came to New York City" by Delia Sherman: I love immigration stories, so add some Irish fae to it and a likeable protag and I'm sold. 5/5
"On The Slide" by Richard Bowes: I felt like this was the prologue to a much more interesting story. But the way the main story overlapped with the movie-making was kinda cool. 3/5
"The Duke of Riverside" by Ellen Kushner: Pretty much everything I want from a Riverside story, but I am hugely biased. It was really fun seeing how Alec and St Vier first meet. 5/5
"Oblivion by Calvin Klein": Shopping is sex. Also sex is sex and somehow the Green Man is here. I just...really personally disliked this story. 2/5.
"Fairy Gifts" by Patricia Briggs: If you like Patricia Briggs, you will like this. If you like vampires, you will like this. If you like Patricia Briggs AND vampires, you will REALLY like this. 4/5.
"Underbridge" by Peter S. Beagle: COMPLETELY BELIEVABLE AND COMPLETELY TERRIFYING. 4/5.
"Priced To Sell" by Naomi Novik: At first I was all "an urban fantasy about REAL ESTATE? REALLY? But then it seduced me and was pretty clever and funny. 4/5.
"Guns for the Dead" by Melissa Marr: I'm not really a fan of Marr but this story had a lot of what I like about her (fascinating characters and world-building) and was too short for any of the stuff I dislike about her to bother me for long (hah). It's set in the land of the dead and...yeah it's really interesting, go read it. 3/5.
"And Go Like This" by John Crowley: Hngggggggg I have a lot of negative things to say about this story so I'm just going to hush. Watch me hush. Totally hushed right here. i-just-didn't-like-it-i'm-sorry
"Noble Rot" by Holly Black: I read this right after lunch and WOW WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Pretty gross but a good Holly Black story. 4/5.
"King Pole, Gallows Pole, Bottle Tree" by Elizabeth Bear: A mystery/thriller with ghosts and memory in Las Vegas.
*currently reading* ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
*currently reading* ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
A mixed bag of urban fantasy stories, not all of which are actually fantasy, and not all of which are really all that urban. A number are magical realism, and if I liked that genre better (or at all) I would have enjoyed this collection better. My favorite stories were Delia Sherman's "How the Pooka came to New York City", Patricia Briggs's "Fairy Gifts", and Peter S Beagle's "Underbridge." Each of them provide a good deal of characterization in a short amount of space amid an interesting plot. My very favorite was Ellen Kushner's "The Duke of Riverside" because I am desperate for any little scrap of Riverside I can get. Kushner is so good at writing characters that every time I read about Alec and Richard I feel like I'm hearing about an old friend I haven't seen in a long time, but know well. They feel very real.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A Harry Dresden supernatural investigation. One for the baseball fans; but mildly amusing for anyone.Harry is hired to investigate the legendary Curse of the Chicago Cubs - and ends up negotiating with a Faerie Goat. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Only read the Jim Butcher and Pat Briggs stories. Both well done! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This anthology of short fiction affords a superb sampling of urban fantasy, that popular sf/fantasy subgenre defined in the book’s introduction (which, in all of three pages, is a welcome and helpful, to say nothing of articulate, definition of this subgenre) as a combination of the "often-dark edge of city living with enticing worlds of magic"—with an urban landscape being absolutely crucial to the story. To put it another way (as also expressed in the introduction, that is), "where the story takes place should matter, in some way, to the story."
added by nsblumenfeld | editBooklist

Shepard, LuciusContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherman, DeliaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tidhar, LavieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Doris and Nathan Datlow, whom I love dearly and who infected me with their love for reading.
The term urban fantasy was originally applied to fantasy written in reaction to the works most popular up to the early 1980's -- high-fantasy, imaginary worlds with medieval trappings.

An anthology of gritty supernatural tales of magic and mischief by leading genre authors includes an original "Harry Dresden" by Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs' story about a vampire who must save the Fae who lifted his curse, and Holly Black's short pieceabout a rock star who discovers a young woman's unnatural appetites.… (more)

165 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Naked City by Ellen Datlow was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,721,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible