Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen

Title:Leverage
Authors:Joshua C. Cohen
Info:Speak (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:sports, sports fiction, YA, young adult, rape, football, high school, bullying

Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen

This visceral, emotionally traumatizing, hard-hitting book about bullying is extremely well written. It's surprising it's a first novel. The only false notes come at the end, with a contrived, pat "Hollywood" resolution. I did not enjoy sobbing like a baby while reading it, but I can't deny that it's an amazing book. Longer review later. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
"Without the cover of a football helmet, the stares fire on me nonstop" (9). Not a dangling participle but awkward to me. Also, football. I'm waiting for Freak the Mighty. I've already got "My Bodyguard." Do teenagers still listen to Bruce Springsteen? "Their breasts feel the exact opposite of pain" (92). Not a well-written book technically, but more realistic and with better characterization than I expected. A lot more about football than about gymnastics and no surprise that I would have preferred the reverse.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
It pertains to most high school issues and has an interesting story. I read this book because of the cover art.
  edspicer | May 19, 2013 |
It is about football and steroids. It is told form two different peoples point of view. I read this book because it was about football and steroids.
  edspicer | Apr 28, 2013 |
Look at that cover. Intense, right? Still, it doesn’t even begin to show how intense Leverage was. This is one of those books that is so well written and so involving that by the end the reader feels gutted.

I feel like I should point out that this is not your average sports rivalry book. It is dark and the issues escalate throughout the novel. There are consequences – big, awful consequences. It might almost be too much if it weren’t for the friendship of Danny (gymnast) and Kurt (football player).

I cannot express how much I loved this friendship. Or how much I loved both Danny and Kurt individually. The story alternates their POVs and both voices were unique and realistic. They both make awful choices and they both suffer those consequences. In a story that was filled with darkness and hate, they were the light needed to make it okay to continue on.

This is a novel about a lot of important things: bullying, assault, and drug use, among other things. But, to me, this was also a story of unlikely friendship and how important true friends are and the difference they make. ( )
  leftik | Apr 3, 2013 |

A Top Ten Best Fiction Book for Young Adults as Selected by the American Library Association

The football field is a battlefield

There's an extraordinary price for victory at Oregrove High. It is paid on-and off-the football field. And it claims its victims without mercy-including the most innocent bystanders.

When a violent, steroid-infused, ever-escalating prank war has devastating consequences, an unlikely friendship between a talented but emotionally damaged fullback and a promising gymnast might hold the key to a school's salvation.

Told in alternating voices and with unapologetic truth, Leverage illuminates the fierce loyalty, flawed justice, and hard-won optimism of two young athletes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

High school sophomore Danny excels at gymnastics but is bullied, like the rest of the gymnasts, by members of the football team, until an emotionally and physically scarred new student joins the football team and forms an unlikely friendship with Danny.… (more)

16 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible