SantaThing sign up ends in 7:24 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

Cashelmara (original 1974; edition 2004)

by Susan Howatch

Member:NanaCC
Title:Cashelmara
Authors:Susan Howatch
Info:Little Brown P/B (2004), Paperback, 720 pages
Tags:Kindle, Read 2013

Cashelmara by Susan Howatch (1974)

I read this as a teenager & was absolutely captured by this romantic saga. In addition to Mary Roberts Rinehart, Susan Howatch was my favorite author :-) ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
Read -- or rather didn't read -- on Kindle. I've enjoyed Susan Howatch's books, particularly the Church of England books. She is a talented & readable writer. However, this story was going nowhere good and the fatal flaws of the characters were clear from the beginning. I just didn't want to read the book as the story worked itself out.
  franoscar | Jul 14, 2016 |
A 3 generation family saga set in Ireland in the 1860's beginning with the patriarch Edward de Salis and ending with his grandson, Patrick. The story follows the changes in fortune of the family's estate, Cashelmara. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
One of Susan Howatch's earlier books, written in her distinctive style with each section written from a different viewpoint, gradually revealing more of the story. The story takes places in the UK and USA, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the Starbridge series, but it's still extremely well-written and quite gripping. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
When his wife dies, Lord de Salis travels to America hoping to ease his grief. What he doesn't expect to find is love. Marguerite is young enough to be Edward’s daughter but there is something about her that makes Edward feel happy again. After they marry he takes Marguerite back to Ireland and Cashelmara, where tragic events begin to unfold.

Cashelmara chronicles three generations of the de Salis family and uses six different POVs. It’s a novel full of gothic romance, tragedy, passion, drama and covers everything from adultery, financial ruin, alcoholism, sexual desires to murder. Each new narrator shows us a bit of the story we've seen before from a completely different viewpoint, and then carries the story on to a new point of crisis before handing the story off to another character. Through the multiple points of view, across three generations and a background of world events, we fully see the story of a troubled family.

The first half of the book was fairly slow moving but I was intrigued by the story enough to continue. One I got about 25% into the book I found the characters much more interesting. This book was written in the early seventies when soap opera elements were fairly popular in this style of book. Although the book is long, it is not a difficult book to read and was a fun re-read on a long weekend. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
There were two subjects I never discussed: my dead wife and Cashelmara. So when I first met a woman with whom I could discuss both subjects with ease, it was hardly surprising that I should once again flirt with the idea of marriage.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449206238, Mass Market Paperback)

The rich and mighty saga of a wealthy and titled English family in Ireland during the 19th century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

The dynastic history of three generations of an English/Irish family and the great house that obsesses them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible