The Jaguar Stones, Book Two: The End of the…

The Jaguar Stones, Book Two: The End of the World Club

by J&P Voelkel

44None260,462 (3.5)3

To be honest when I first started this book I was annoyed. In the first book I was very happy to see the growth in Max - he matured so much. But when this book started it seemed like he had slid backwards. He was almost back to his self-centered annoying ways. When him and Lola join up again it became really clear. I wanted to shake him and remind him of all that he had learned! Thankfully as the story went along he gained by the mature growth I'd see before. If he hadn't I fear I might have given up on the book!

Ok beyond Max's behavior the story was really strong. Once again it took the reader on a roller coaster ride through action packed adventures. The action started strong, and it really pulled me through the story. I found myself on the edge of my seat a few times wondering how they were going to get out of their current situation. I also liked that this one didn't just follow the same pattern as the first book. It went off on it's own, going places I never saw coming. I liked that because it made the story fresh. So many times I read a sequel and it's just the same story pattern repeated. The End of the World Club had events that I would've never thought could happen. Seriously a few times I really did think "wow didn't see that coming!". How fun is that when reading a book!

I want to comment on Lola just because I love her character. She was just as great in this book but in new ways (see it really kept thing fresh!). I so loved how she was able to just keep calm in situations where Max was kinda freaking out or, at the beginning of the book, sulking. It's because of her character that I recommend this series to girls in my class. She's a fantastic role model.

Final thought: Once again action packed with great fresh twists
Best stick-with-you image: The wedding announcement "party".
Best for readers who: Like action mixed with ancient history
Best for ages: 10-14
  MrsBookOwl | Sep 14, 2013 |
Sequel to Middleworld with more of the same. Kids who like that book will enjoy the sequel. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Read my review at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog! ( )
  herebebooks | Dec 29, 2010 |
The End of the World Club is the second book in the Young Adult Jaguar Stones trilogy. Max is back in Boston living with his parents, but things are anything but normal. Boston is in the middle of the longest dry spell in years but the Murphy household has had non-stop pouring rain for weeks. A tropical jungle seems to be growing in their house with real flora and fauna from San Xavier (the location of his last adventure). Max’s mom has been reading books and is trying to be a ‘good’ parent and wallowing in self denial about everything she went through in San Xavier. Then Max gets a visit from the Mayan Death Lord's emissary, requiring Max to pay back his debt. Once more, Max is looking for the easy way out of his predicament when he gets duped AGAIN! Those Lords of Death are tricky!

I think the Voelkel’s have written a great addition to The Jaguar Stones. One of my favorite parts was the group going to a village in Spain where lying was forbidden (magically enforced). Lord 6-Dog and his mother Lady Coco, Max and Lola are back as a team trying to thwart the Mayan forces of evil. The story is funny and thought provoking, a teenage story of maturing, taking responsibility and making the right choices . I enjoyed reading it and I am eagerly awaiting the last installation. ( )
  readafew | Dec 16, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 160684072X, Hardcover)

With the end of the Mayan calendar fast approaching, fourteen-year-old Max Murphy and his new friend Lola, the modern Maya girl who saved his life in the perilous jungle, are racing against time to outwit the twelve Lords of Death.  Following the trail of the conquistadors, their quest takes them back to the wild heart of Spain - a forgotten land steeped in legend, superstition and ever more bizarre tourist festivals.  With a pack of hellhounds on their heels and the cape-twirling Count Antonio de Landa in hot pursuit, the teens must face madness and betrayal, bluff and double-bluff, to uncover the terrible secrets of the long-lost Yellow Jaguar.  But no matter where they run, all roads lead to Xibalba.  There, in the cold and watery Maya underworld, we finally discover why only Max Murphy can save the world from the villainous Lords of Death.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

With the end of the Mayan calendar fast approaching, fourteen-year-old Max Murphy and his friend Lola, the Maya girl who saved his life in the perilous jungle, race against time to outwit the twelve villainous Lords of Death, following the trail of the conquistadors into a forgotten land steeped in legend and superstition.… (more)

26 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible