The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor…

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels -- a Love Story (2011)

by Ree Drummond

Nothing is more delicious than picking up the absolute best book to match your mood at the right moment! I was in a bit of a book funk, and it seemed like most of the books I’d recently read were either depressing or super gritty. Oddly enough, I wasn’t in the mood for something cheerful or light, though…just different. I pulled this off the shelf, read the first page and was instantly drawn in; it was nothing like I’d expected it to be!

When I initially picked up The Pioneer Woman in a used book haul a few months ago, I shelved it on my “To-Be-Read-Sooner-Than-Later” shelf thinking that it was a foodie memoir. It’s not at all! Essentially, it is a true love story—Ree chronicles meeting her cowboy husband in her mid-20s, and the whirlwind romance that ensues. He quite literally sweeps her off her feet. I like Drummond’s cooking show, and I even follow her blog, but I’m not a diehard fan. In the handful of episodes where Ree’s husband has made an appearance, he didn’t really do it for me. He seemed quiet, distant and “built Ford tough.” After reading this book however, I feel completely different about him! Maybe I need a sensitive cowboy in my life, too! Can I have one?

For someone that isn’t too big on the romance genre, I expected to be rolling my eyes and skipping pages due to redundancy and skepticism, but that never happened. Drummond’s easy writing style and self-deprecating tone ensured that I was never bored, and that I laughed a lot! I looked forward to picking up where I left off each day, and she always managed to end a chapter on a cliff hanger. Between issues with her family, deciding what career path to take, and this unexpected romance, her story was very believable, and far from story bookish, which I appreciated. Her descriptions of rural Oklahoma life were also awesome. All in all, this was a great read. It’s hard for me to dole out a 5 star rating, but in the end, if I’d happily reread this in 6 months’ time, then I definitely loved it. So 5 stars it is! ( )
  dreamydress48 | Apr 21, 2014 |
Requested this as a review copy, ages ago, because I was familiar with Ree Drummond's story from her blog. I like her recipes, and her photographs of a prairie life. Looks kind of alien to this city girl. So I was curious.

But reading about her going gaga with love at first sight and melting for the Marlboro Man, was a bit much for me. It felt smug and simpering to read.
I like reading recipes and seeing her photography better than being inside her head about her relationship.
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

American blogger and food writer Ree Drummond relates the real life story of how she met and married her "Marlboro Man." Her stories about her husband, family, and country living paint a warm and touching picture of life on an Oklahoma ranch.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible