The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor…

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels -- a Love Story (2011)

by Ree Drummond

Maybe it's because I'm from Kansas; maybe it's because I, too, could never see myself living on a ranch; maybe it's because I also recently moved home and felt aimless and found myself in a relationship I didn't see coming... but I got sucked into this book! I'm not typically a romance reader but I found this sweet (although sometimes cloyingly). At times, Ree's preoccupation with her vanity and self-deprecation became irksome. Overall, though, it was a cute story that I enjoyed. ( )
  emma_mc | Feb 28, 2017 |
I'm only in chapter 3 and already I've decided that this woman isn't a good person. So far, she's a wimp, a cheater and a dog killer (and as far as I can tell, she doesn't feel bad about any of it). And the way she writes for her stuttering, developmentally disabled brother is just uncool. (Not to mention she's the one reading the book on the CD - which means I get to listen to the stuttering voice she gives him) But maybe that's what real love does to you. I'm not sure. She'd better redeem herself. I'm rooting for her to be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

And for the love of god, name your freaking husband. You already said you fell in love with and married the man, stop calling him "Marlboro Man," the preciousness of it makes me want to vomit.

ETA Jan. 23: With her overly-grandiose wording and the section about how "Marlboro Man" saved her from a life without beef (Seriously?! Just shut the hell up), I've decided Drummond is beyond redemption. Now I'm just reading out of spite and irritation.

"I'd do anything for Marlboro Man, including forsake my longtime commitment to avoiding meat." This is her proof of their love. To me it seems to simply be proof that she is willing to give up her supposed ideals and change for a man.

ETA Jan. 24: Okay, I made it to chapter eight. I can't take this anymore. She's not a good writer at all. Things you'll never hear a writing teacher tell you: use your thesaurus so you sound smart; similes are fun, use as many as you can; make yourself sound amazing in every way possible; repeat names until your readers want to rip their eyes out; and try to be funny, people love that!

I hate to be mean, but stick to blogging and leave the writing to the authors. We're done here. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
(46) ( )
  activelearning | Apr 20, 2016 |
Download a sample onto my kindle just for kicks and -- I actually like it. Think I will buy and read, especially because I am struggling with some other books at the moment.
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Funny and charming memoir written by "The Pioneer Woman," Ree Drummond. Chronicles her city-girl courtship and early marriage to a cowboy from Oklahoma. ( )
  marcal | Jan 13, 2015 |

Drummond, a blogger and best-selling author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks, turns her popular blog chronicling her improbable city-girl-meets-rugged-cowboy saga into an affecting new memoir. Drummond deftly describes what happens when life takes a U-turn, taking readers from her chaste but steamy courtship with "Marlboro Man," to their subsequent wedding and Australian honeymoon, and into the first year of their marriage where the two decamped to Marlboro Man's isolated ranch (Drummond had been en route to a new life in Chicago when she met him). What emerges is a charming and romantic yet realistic tale of the forces that can test a new relationship—no matter how good it is. She presents a sometimes riotously funny, always strikingly real tale of love and life. Drummond is intensely likable and writes with the facile confidence of one who clearly knows herself well. Plenty of surprises lie along the way, such as her parents' divorce and an immediate pregnancy following the nuptials. She's sure to have readers in tears and in stitches as they share her adventure. In a word: delightful. Includes several recipes.
added by kthomp25 | editPW Annex Reviews

American blogger and food writer Ree Drummond relates the real life story of how she met and married her "Marlboro Man." Her stories about her husband, family, and country living paint a warm and touching picture of life on an Oklahoma ranch.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,194,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible