The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor…

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels, a Love Story (2011)

by Ree Drummond

I'm very sad to have to put one star on this book, because I had never done it before. But honestly, an author Ree Drummond ain't! I started off liking it, with the anticipation of a beautiful, romantic rendezvous, which soon turned to a tiresome, somewhat boring monoplay of ooh, ah, kissing, hugging, he's so huggable, etc, all the time! So, I soon became fed up, and was glad to live it far behind. Please stick to writing about Charlie, or your wonderful cooking. ( )
  seascape | May 25, 2019 |
Okay, I'm a little embarrassed to be caught reading this book, but I was also pleasantly surprised at how well-written, entertaining and funny Ree's book is. She tells you in her introduction that it started out as kind of a lark, writing in her blog about how she met her husband following a 4-year dead-end (for HER) relationship, and the whirlwind, steamy, every day courtship that ensued with her "Marlboro Man" cowboy suitor who would soon become her husband. She's also pretty honest about how she patterned her writing after Harlequin-style romance novels. And that is indeed how her story reads. (Yes, I have peeked into a few Harlequins - BLUSH!)

I "know" Ree Drummond through her daily cooking shows on the Food Network, which my wife checks in on almost every day. I'm not a fan of the show, by the way. A bit too nasal, syrupy and cutesy for my taste - and who really cares about cooking anyway? (Not I.) But I bought Ree's memoir, PIONEER WOMAN: BLACK HEELS TO TRACTOR WHEELS, for my wife a few years ago, and just got around to trying it myself. And I made it through over 200 pages of it, before it finally got just a little too redundant - all that endless "Marlboro Man" stuff and how hot and sexy he was, etc. It was kinda surprising to find that she grew up very privileged and wealthy - the middle child of an Oklahoma physician, in a big suburban house on a golf course. And went to college and lived in California for a time, and had planned to go to law school in Chicago, until she met this guy, who quite literally swept her off her feet. And they are still married, twenty-some years and four children later. So I knew how their story ended - like a Harlequin romance, "happily ever after," I'm sure - so far so good, so to speak. Two-hundred plus pages was enough for me. I've got other books waiting.

But Ree Drummond is actually a pretty bright woman, who writes engagingly and well, and I'm not surprised her memoir was a bestseller - women would REALLY love her story, I'm sure. Well, obviously they DO, because there are several thousand reader reviews on the book's Amazon page and elsewhere online, and most of them are very positive. And I liked her writing, up to a point. Highly recommended - especially to women, even those who do not number in her legions of fans for her cooking show. Good job, Ree.

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Dec 24, 2018 |
UGH. I had been familiar with Drummond's work after reading parts of her blog years ago and occasionally reading it now and again. I knew some the story of her Marlboro Man, but thought it'd be worth buying the book instead of trying to sort it through the places on her blog.

What an awful load of tripe. It reads very much like a terrible romance novel, complete with trying to adjust to his world of working on a ranch, her parents divorcing, a perhaps unstable boyfriend, etc. At first it started off well, with her breaking things off with a boyfriend, however things start to go sour when she "disinvites" him from her older brother's wedding and he seems to be somewhat stalker-y. She meets her future husband and most of the book discusses their courtship and the beginning of the marriage.

I got bored when she described snuggling and cuddling with Marlboro Man (who is never named. I realize she used/uses this in her blog, that I find it really strange. It seems to indicate she has this idealized vision of him which is a little creepy) repeatedly. Yes, he's romantic and there's chemistry and it's great. But it got really repetitive after a while.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what MM sees in this woman. She comes across as narcissistic, selfish, immature and just downright annoying. It's not really clear if she was trying to make herself more sympathetic or feel she was not good enough or what by relating her anxieties and what seems like an inability to cope sometimes.

She doesn't appear to change throughout the book, despite her parents divorce and the marriage and pregnancy of her first child. I realize this was very much a memoir of her early part of her relationship to MM, but holy cow did she come across as irritating. I was also surprised to see she appears to be happy living on a ranch. I have family that did something similar, giving up relatively well-paying jobs in a major metropolitan area to work on a farm. But Drummond doesn't seem the type (to me, from the book) that would have adjusted to living on a ranch and the work that comes with it. But apparently they made it work and good for them.

Honestly, you're probably a lot better just reading her blog. Don't buy this book. Borrow it if you really want to read it, but it's my understanding that most of this material can be found on her blog anyway. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Fun, Lite, Quick... where's my beach??
The blogger Pioneer Woman wrote her meeting/courtship/marriage of Marlboro Man as a serial blog on her website. This is the collection plus more meat to the story.
I've enjoyed her website for some time (and the book was given to me) so a no-lose situation. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Maybe it's because I'm from Kansas; maybe it's because I, too, could never see myself living on a ranch; maybe it's because I also recently moved home and felt aimless and found myself in a relationship I didn't see coming... but I got sucked into this book! I'm not typically a romance reader but I found this sweet (although sometimes cloyingly). At times, Ree's preoccupation with her vanity and self-deprecation became irksome. Overall, though, it was a cute story that I enjoyed. ( )
  emma_mc | Feb 28, 2017 |

Drummond, a blogger and best-selling author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks, turns her popular blog chronicling her improbable city-girl-meets-rugged-cowboy saga into an affecting new memoir. Drummond deftly describes what happens when life takes a U-turn, taking readers from her chaste but steamy courtship with "Marlboro Man," to their subsequent wedding and Australian honeymoon, and into the first year of their marriage where the two decamped to Marlboro Man's isolated ranch (Drummond had been en route to a new life in Chicago when she met him). What emerges is a charming and romantic yet realistic tale of the forces that can test a new relationship—no matter how good it is. She presents a sometimes riotously funny, always strikingly real tale of love and life. Drummond is intensely likable and writes with the facile confidence of one who clearly knows herself well. Plenty of surprises lie along the way, such as her parents' divorce and an immediate pregnancy following the nuptials. She's sure to have readers in tears and in stitches as they share her adventure. In a word: delightful. Includes several recipes.
added by kthomp25 | editPW Annex Reviews

American blogger and food writer Ree Drummond relates the real life story of how she met and married her "Marlboro Man." Her stories about her husband, family, and country living paint a warm and touching picture of life on an Oklahoma ranch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,393,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible