Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

I think this was the best of them all. Sad at points, but always in a perfect way. The only thing better would be for Carmen to end up with Roberto. Or at least contact him and be dating. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
So, a few weeks after finishing this, I'm mildly torn between 3 and 4 stars. Since I'm still a little angry about one of the final revelations of the book, my bitterness is going to lock it in at a three.

Yes, it's kind of predictable. Checking in on these women years later, you know that SOMETHING TERRIBLE is going to have to happen to justify looking in on their lives at this moment. If not, why this moment instead of 5 years either direction? That said, SOMETHING TERRIBLE rips me up. A half-hour or so after discovering ST, I made the mistake of generalizing it to my life and my long-term friendships and became a sobbing mess for over an hour. I don't cry often, and rarely cry this hard. You'll judge me for it (BRING IT!), but the last time I cried this hard was over Data dying in Star Trek: Nemesis.

So, ST happens, and it rocks the friendship to the core, and is a pretty realistic portrayal of how different people handle feelings of guilt and regret. I'd like to say that this would make this a good read even in you haven't read the previous books, but I don't think it would be the same if you don't know the characters from the previous stories.

One aspect of the Sisterhood books that I've always liked is that they aren't "balanced", each character doesn't face the same intensity of situation as each of her friends in each book. This is more realistic, and I feel it makes for a better read. That said, this was a fantastic Lena book, the best to date. Lena, the mature friend, the motherly one to all the others, having to find the strength to face her greatest fear, was an absolute gem of a story. Carmen's story wasn't nearly so great this time. Maybe this is just me subconsciously comparing this story to book 4, which was a fantastic Carmen story.

And then something TRULY TERRIBLE happens. STOP READING THIS REVIEW IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!

For a writer, there is a fine line between trying to convey your point with eloquence and power, and outright manipulation of your audience. A final revelation in the story meant to soften the pain of ST cheapened the whole story for me. I'm trying to mention this without spoilers, and it's hard. Basically, after ST happens, everyone makes assumptions, but these assumptions are strengthened by writings from one of the characters. In the light of the TT revelation, the wording of these writings doesn't make sense to me. It feels false, and it comes close to ruining the whole story for me.

drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I hate books that make me cry. Couldn't stop reading this. Cried several times. Spent the first half of the book feeling like Brashares had unfairly recycled her characters, but it came together in the second half.

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
“Pants” fans who have grown up with the girls and love them will no doubt overlook the improbabilities, unrealized characters and plot manipulations to make this a bestseller.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget know something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn't take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can't seem to shed her old restlessness. When Tibby sends the others plane tickets for a reunion they all breathlessly await, it will change their lives forever, but in ways none of them ever expected. The traveling pants are gone, but the sisterhood lasts forever.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,796,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible