Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

This is the fifth book in the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" books. We find the girls now women on the verge of their 30th birthdays. Carmen is a semi-successful working actress on a TV show and engaged to Jones, a network exec 10 years her senior. Bee is being her typical flower child self with Eric (now a lawyer) in San Francisco. Lena is living in Providence and teaching art at RSID. Tibby has apparently run off to Australia with Brian for his software job and not been heard from much in the last two years -- until she sends each woman a text saying to expect something in the mail. Turns out, she has bought plane tickets for all of them to go back to Santorini. She needs to talk to them and get them all back together. The trip in Santorini starts off all wrong from the moment they get there, and the rest of the book is how each of them deals with the results.

I read the book in a day. I just could not put it down. I knew where it was going in some ways, but in others, I just wanted to find out so badly that I lost sleep. I'd forgotten how much I related to almost all these girls (except Bee, really), and my heart ached as each of them tried to find their way through the pain. There were so many heart-breaking, gut-wrenching moments, and I kept rooting for all of them to figure themselves and each other back out and regroup. Of course they so, but I will not spoil it by telling you how. Trust me, it was worth the journey they each took.

I'm glad I took the time to read this book. I doubt there will be a sixth novel. This one really felt like an ending -- for the readers at least. For the women, though? It was a beginning. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
I didn't even know about this book until it suddenly appeared on the shelf at the only place I can buy books here. I was surprised and intrigued but didn't want to spend 26$ on a book if I wasn't sure it would be ok. I went home and walked around on twitter to get an opinion and everyone seemed so torn by this book. Needless to say, I went back and bought the book, took it home, and read it. I both loved and hated it, as I have heard many people did.

There are a lot of things going on in this book, I can't give much detail except that one crucial thing happens at the almost very beginning of the book that changes the complete mood for the rest of the story. I had such a sunny and positive outlook for this book but once that happened...it was just about the recovery of the story. I really can't say more without spoilers.

I love the women that the girls have become and I loved learning their inner workings in this book even better than I did before and I have to say one event in particular made me say...freaking finally. So...I don't think you will disappointed if you read this book but...be prepared for a shock. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I think this was the best of them all. Sad at points, but always in a perfect way. The only thing better would be for Carmen to end up with Roberto. Or at least contact him and be dating. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
So, a few weeks after finishing this, I'm mildly torn between 3 and 4 stars. Since I'm still a little angry about one of the final revelations of the book, my bitterness is going to lock it in at a three.

Yes, it's kind of predictable. Checking in on these women years later, you know that SOMETHING TERRIBLE is going to have to happen to justify looking in on their lives at this moment. If not, why this moment instead of 5 years either direction? That said, SOMETHING TERRIBLE rips me up. A half-hour or so after discovering ST, I made the mistake of generalizing it to my life and my long-term friendships and became a sobbing mess for over an hour. I don't cry often, and rarely cry this hard. You'll judge me for it (BRING IT!), but the last time I cried this hard was over Data dying in Star Trek: Nemesis.

So, ST happens, and it rocks the friendship to the core, and is a pretty realistic portrayal of how different people handle feelings of guilt and regret. I'd like to say that this would make this a good read even in you haven't read the previous books, but I don't think it would be the same if you don't know the characters from the previous stories.

One aspect of the Sisterhood books that I've always liked is that they aren't "balanced", each character doesn't face the same intensity of situation as each of her friends in each book. This is more realistic, and I feel it makes for a better read. That said, this was a fantastic Lena book, the best to date. Lena, the mature friend, the motherly one to all the others, having to find the strength to face her greatest fear, was an absolute gem of a story. Carmen's story wasn't nearly so great this time. Maybe this is just me subconsciously comparing this story to book 4, which was a fantastic Carmen story.

And then something TRULY TERRIBLE happens. STOP READING THIS REVIEW IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!

For a writer, there is a fine line between trying to convey your point with eloquence and power, and outright manipulation of your audience. A final revelation in the story meant to soften the pain of ST cheapened the whole story for me. I'm trying to mention this without spoilers, and it's hard. Basically, after ST happens, everyone makes assumptions, but these assumptions are strengthened by writings from one of the characters. In the light of the TT revelation, the wording of these writings doesn't make sense to me. It feels false, and it comes close to ruining the whole story for me.

drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
I hate books that make me cry. Couldn't stop reading this. Cried several times. Spent the first half of the book feeling like Brashares had unfairly recycled her characters, but it came together in the second half.

Now I have to go blow my nose. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
“Pants” fans who have grown up with the girls and love them will no doubt overlook the improbabilities, unrealized characters and plot manipulations to make this a bestseller.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget know something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn't take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can't seem to shed her old restlessness. When Tibby sends the others plane tickets for a reunion they all breathlessly await, it will change their lives forever, but in ways none of them ever expected. The traveling pants are gone, but the sisterhood lasts forever.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,995,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible