Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

*** Spoilers Ahead *** Proceed with caution ***

I started the book with great anticipation. After all I had loved the previous books from the series, and as any sane person would do, (ahem) I found myself wondering about the characters from time to time – where the Septembers might have ended up, and such. Then the fifth book came out a few years back, and I was excited till I came cross the spoiler – our cynical princess dies! Yes. I was annoyed (she was my favourite character after Bridget) and I read a few reviews (something I never do). Anyway, I returned the book to its place in the shelf and it had been gathering dust since then. Looking back, that was a good choice.

This year I started a reading challenge, and in there was this category – a book written by a author with the same initials as you. Ann Brashares – A.B., well, that was my incentive to read the book. And so I took it up and read it.

As you start reading the book, there is an ominous sense of foreboding. Tibby had moved to Australia with her boyfriend, Brian, and they the Septembers haven’t been able to feel complete since then. And gradually they have all lost contact with Tibby. So when Tibby reaches out for a reunion, they are all on cloud nine. They all reach Greece and that’s when things turn to look shady. They keep waiting for Tibby in the airport, she never turns up. So they go to Lena’s grandparents’ home, where they were supposed to bunk, Tibby isn’t present there either. But she was there. The night goes by and no sign of her. You can’t help but feel the dread. So when the police come to knock at the door the next morning, you know it has happened, but don’t really want to acknowledge it. So is it with the Septembers… With growing dread, they go to the morgue and identify the body – yes, it’s her. They inform Tibby’s parents and they fly in, collect the body and the luggage It turns out Tibby had left letters for each one of them, each to be opened at a particular date (where had I heard of that before?).

So now that your friend is dead and you have unopened letters from her, what do you do? You grieve. Well, that’s what sane people do. The characters are all about to turn 30, so one would expect them to handle it the way adults do. Maybe, grab a drink and grieve and cry about it. Instead, they seem to have regressed to their teen selves. Instead of hugging each other tightly and crying their eyes out, they go into themselves, ignore the others and try to forget what has happened. I would have understood if that was the grieving method of one of them, but no. Lena becomes more boring, Carmen immerses herself into her iphone and Bridget takes off. I am nothing but annoyed by them. Not to mention how Bee runs away and her boyfriend takes it all, no questions asked. Lena has become more pathetic (why hasn’t that girl moved on?) and Carmen is no longer a human (because she has an iphone). Then there’s the absolute lack of ambition, and the need to be defined by a man. I mean seriously, the characters have turned pathetic with age.

By the end all problems seem to have solved by itself, all wounds magically healed, everyone transformed. But the process seems to be lacking and unrealistic. Is it Sisterhood Everlasting? Well, I guess you can say that.

You can read the review on my blog at https://beingzingy.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/book-review-sisterhood-everlasting/ ( )
  ananyabha | Jan 25, 2016 |
I love these books!! ( )
  kosana | Jan 21, 2016 |
I love these books!! ( )
  kosana | Jan 21, 2016 |
I didn't even know about this book until it suddenly appeared on the shelf at the only place I can buy books here. I was surprised and intrigued but didn't want to spend 26$ on a book if I wasn't sure it would be ok. I went home and walked around on twitter to get an opinion and everyone seemed so torn by this book. Needless to say, I went back and bought the book, took it home, and read it. I both loved and hated it, as I have heard many people did.

There are a lot of things going on in this book, I can't give much detail except that one crucial thing happens at the almost very beginning of the book that changes the complete mood for the rest of the story. I had such a sunny and positive outlook for this book but once that happened...it was just about the recovery of the story. I really can't say more without spoilers.

I love the women that the girls have become and I loved learning their inner workings in this book even better than I did before and I have to say one event in particular made me say...freaking finally. So...I don't think you will disappointed if you read this book but...be prepared for a shock. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
The Sisterhood series was one that I loved in college. The girls’ ages corresponded with my own in most of the books. I loved that they faced big issues, like divorce, suicide, self-doubt, death, but they also dealt with the joys of growing up and falling in love for the first time.

This is the fifth book in the series and I wasn’t really drawn to it when it came out. When I finally read it I realized that the girls’ ages still almost corresponded with my own. They are all about to turn 30 and the issues they’re faced with are big ones that I recognize.

The book takes an unexpected turn right from the beginning, but it’s a rewarding story by the end. Brashares has never shied away from tough subjects in this book and I loved the way she handled the situations each girl went through.

BOTTOM LINE: I loved returning to their lives and I was so glad I got to see how they were all doing. I don’t think the series needs another sequel, but this installment provided a wonderful conclusion to their journey. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 23, 2015 |
“Pants” fans who have grown up with the girls and love them will no doubt overlook the improbabilities, unrealized characters and plot manipulations to make this a bestseller.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget know something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn't take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can't seem to shed her old restlessness. When Tibby sends the others plane tickets for a reunion they all breathlessly await, it will change their lives forever, but in ways none of them ever expected. The traveling pants are gone, but the sisterhood lasts forever.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

111 wanted3 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible