Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

The Sisterhood series was one that I loved in college. The girls’ ages corresponded with my own in most of the books. I loved that they faced big issues, like divorce, suicide, self-doubt, death, but they also dealt with the joys of growing up and falling in love for the first time.

This is the fifth book in the series and I wasn’t really drawn to it when it came out. When I finally read it I realized that the girls’ ages still almost corresponded with my own. They are all about to turn 30 and the issues they’re faced with are big ones that I recognize.

The book takes an unexpected turn right from the beginning, but it’s a rewarding story by the end. Brashares has never shied away from tough subjects in this book and I loved the way she handled the situations each girl went through.

BOTTOM LINE: I loved returning to their lives and I was so glad I got to see how they were all doing. I don’t think the series needs another sequel, but this installment provided a wonderful conclusion to their journey. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I was really in the mood to read something that would make me feel nostalgic and Sisterhood Everlasting was a great choice for me. I really enjoyed the Sisterhood series— I read the other four books years ago, but somehow I didn’t know there was a fifth book until a year or so ago. Luckily, I found it at the thrift store fairly recently.

I was so excited to read about the girls as adults, but I was totally blindsided by the tragedy. I was so angry and felt so cheated. How could the author do this? I almost wanted to stop reading right then and there, but Tibby had always been my favorite character and I needed to know why. I’m glad I kept reading; I ended up loving it. Lena, Bee, Carmen, and Tibby were still the girls I loved from the previous books. I was so emotional by the end. I’m definitely a sucker for the Sisterhood series ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Jun 21, 2015 |
3.5 stars

The “girls” are all now 29 years old and have spread out. In fact, Tibby and Brian are now in Australia. When the other three get plane tickets to Greece from Tibby to meet up for a reunion, they are all excited. However, tragedy strikes and the girls are each left dealing with things in their own ways.

I enjoyed this. I'm not sure that they really seemed much more grown up, but I still enjoyed the story. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 18, 2015 |
You are going to hate the first few chapters. Stay with it. It gets good. I promise. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
“Pants” fans who have grown up with the girls and love them will no doubt overlook the improbabilities, unrealized characters and plot manipulations to make this a bestseller.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget know something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn't take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can't seem to shed her old restlessness. When Tibby sends the others plane tickets for a reunion they all breathlessly await, it will change their lives forever, but in ways none of them ever expected. The traveling pants are gone, but the sisterhood lasts forever.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

122 wanted3 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,921,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible