Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
586None16,739 (3.81)20

I hate books that make me cry. Couldn't stop reading this. Cried several times. Spent the first half of the book feeling like Brashares had unfairly recycled her characters, but it came together in the second half.

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
This one's a tearjerker, folks.

As any one might have expected, the sisterhood didn't really stand the test of time. The pants had disappeared, and ten years later, life had taken it’s place. The four friends hadn’t really kept in touch over the years. Tibby had moved to the other side of the world (Australia) with Brian and away from the others. Over two years had gone by and Tibby could more or less be called a stranger to Lena, Bridget and Carmen.
Now:
Carmen is an actress in New York and engaged to Jones, all set out to be a success. Lena is in Rhode Island, teaching Art, and still hasn’t forgotten about Kostos and his promise of Someday. Bridget is living with Eric in San Francisco, and the bee in her is still buzzing from place to place. Of course, none of them are really happy with their lives. So, when Tibby suddenly sends them all plane tickets to
 Santorini
for a reunion, they are obviously thrilled. Impatient to be with each other again, they all head to Greece immediately.

So, this is where the book really starts.
And I get the shock of a lifetime.
And then I cry for an hour.

I'm not going to say anymore, because obviously I couldn't keep all the spoilers out even if I tried.

Ann Brashares once said, “I don’t really write with the idea of trying to teach any lessons. I want to tell a story as truthfully and engagingly as I can, and then let the chips fall where they may.” But this does teach lessons, about loss, and love, and how life has to go on. People’s lives inevitably go in different directions, but true friends will always find their way back to each other.

There are the one or three odd reviews about how this book was a disappointment, and some who were sheepish, reluctant fans of this series in the first place. And I get their point, this book takes some unexpected turns, but it wasn't as refreshing as Ann Brashares used to be. But I don't suppose it could have been any other way.
1) The girls haven't really grown up, they aren't what you would expect women nearing their thirties to be. 2) No matter how good her books are, it's still Young Adult.

But the majority seems to be five stars, and I am inclined to agree.
But, (isn't their always a but) I reserve my five stars for only the books that think out of the box of the box of the box. And this wasn't, it wasn't even meant to be.

Keeping that in mind, we all know that Ann Brashares is an incredibly good writer. This book is like all her other books, amusing and touching and poignant and lovely. And just a damn good read. So anyone who thinks that they aren't going to read it for fear that the girls are going to be all changed, don't worry. Ann Brashares hasn't lost her touch. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
“Pants” fans who have grown up with the girls and love them will no doubt overlook the improbabilities, unrealized characters and plot manipulations to make this a bestseller.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget know something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn't take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can't seem to shed her old restlessness. When Tibby sends the others plane tickets for a reunion they all breathlessly await, it will change their lives forever, but in ways none of them ever expected. The traveling pants are gone, but the sisterhood lasts forever.… (more)

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible