Sisterhood Everlasting

by Ann Brashares

Despite having jobs and men that they love, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget know something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn't take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can't seem to shed her old restlessness. When Tibby sends the others plane tickets for a reunion they all breathlessly await, it will change their lives forever, but in ways none of them ever expected. The traveling pants are gone, but the sisterhood lasts forever.… (more)
Recently added byArina40, rachelreading

When i first realized there was a 5th sisterhood book i went out to the shops and instantly bought it.
I was so excited and was ready for another fun loving summer with the girls then...

(careful spoilers ahead)

... Then Tibby dies. I was like oh my god this CAN NOT be happening!!
I slammed the book down and didnt read it for an hour. I just couldnt.
But i finally convinced myself to keep reading and i am glad i did.
Bridget gets pregnant with Eric's child and runs away, not telling Eric anything.
She runs to Australia ( my home country :D ) and visits Tibby's husband, and child, Bailey.
Bridget learns that Tibby died because of an illness she had.
Lena gets back with Kostos and there is a happy ending between the two.
After looking after Bailey for a few months, Bridget discovers she is glad she is having a child and she wants to keep it. She confesses to Eric about it and he says it is what he wants.

Overall i adored the book and even though i thought it was sad that Tibby died i think it worked wonderfully and it was important.
And besides, there was a happy ending in the end for everyone :D ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
This book was not what I expected. It was sad and happy at the same time. At one point I had to put it down for a while. I finally picked it up again and finished it. I loved revisiting the characters. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |
Sappy? Yes. Predictable? A bit. Incredibly satisfying chick-lit escapist sobfest? You bet! Eat Ann Brashares' dust, Nicholas Sparks. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
Recommended by Amy Richard. Another reason for me to finally finish the series!
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
Reading a book like this as a "conclusion" to a lighthearted young adult series was a heavy disappointment saddled with enough depressing moments (and characters), it makes you wonder why you even bothered. Ann Brashares seems to not have had any respect for the fans and readers of this series or even the characters she created, least of all Carmen who always seems to receive the short end of the stick.

The most important thing to remember is that ten years have passed since we last visited Lena, Bridget, Tibby, and Carmen. This is also the least important, because the characters have somehow reverted back to their former selves before they first receive those magical traveling pants. Except (spoiler!) the pants don't return in this book, much to my dismay. I would've liked to have known if they still fit.

Each character is now living her own life far away from the others: Tibby living with Brian in Australia, Bridget living with Eric in California, Lena teaching art courses in Rhode Island and Carmen a suddenly skinny but successful actress. They fail to keep in touch except by email and sometimes phone, with Tibby nearly off the grid and Bridget constantly losing her cell phone or forgetting to pay the bills. Carmen and Lena still chat but that's because Carmen apparently has become materialistic and does not know how to exist without an iPhone. Tibby reaches out to send them roundtrip tickets to a reunion they have all been waiting for but simply did not make the effort to somehow try before. And story moves along through this long awaited reunion.

Once again the girls have no self respect and spend much of their time acting like teenagers before "finding" themselves, also again. Yes it is still a YA novel, but it seems impossible to have a supposed 15 years since the first book and the characters have instead gotten weaker and incredibly immature. Having read all 5 books in succession, this last installment makes it feel like the first four never existed. When they lost the pants in book 4, they must've lost their memories too. Nothing from that ending or the lessons they learned in their teenage years seems to resonate with these nearly 30 year old women. The plot was contrived and so lengthy I had to force myself to keep reading to the end. And the end...it was an insult.

Do not recommend. ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
“Pants” fans who have grown up with the girls and love them will no doubt overlook the improbabilities, unrealized characters and plot manipulations to make this a bestseller.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 1, 2011)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Brashares's book Sisterhood Everlasting was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,568,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible