A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington) by David…

A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington) (edition 2012)

by David Weber

4802030,937 (3.69)17
Member:alpacaherder
Title:A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Baen (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:*****

A Rising Thunder by David Weber

English (19)  French (1)  All languages (20)
Talk, talk, talk! A lot of people have commented on the fact that David Weber have turned the Honor Harrington series into a political soap opera where people talk, talk and talk some more. When I started to read these books they were really good and they were really about Honor Harrington. Now, I don’t think even one quarter of this book had Harrington in it.

That’s really a shame since the books are not at all that good any more. There are some redeeming and spectacular space battles in this book and I quite like how the Solarians get their butt kicked big time but it’s just not good enough when, in three quarters of the book you just turn pages in the hope that the boring politicians will shut up and Harrington will enter the scene.

I think the only reason I read this books now is that, so far, I’ve read them all and I want to know what happens the same way you want to see how a film ends even if you’re not that thrilled about the film itself when you’ve reached the half way mark.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
While this #13th Honor Harrington book wasn't quite as good as the preceding Mission of Honor, I still enjoyed it immensely. Even though it has a 4.05 out of 5 rating on Goodreads, a lot of people don't like it because it lacks sufficient action for them and is too talky. But, for me, if you like political intrigue and political maneuvering, this is the story for you. And I do. The Honorverse is getting much more complex and it's no longer just huge space battles with monstrous fleets blowing each other up. Now you have a growing conflict between the huge, arrogant Solarian League and Manticore and its new ally, The Republic of Haven, its old enemy. You also have the evil Mesan Alliance with all it's trying to do to destroy everyone. And now you have Beowulf, a long-time League member who has close financial and personal ties with Manticore, considering leaving the Solarian League to join forces with Manticore. It doesn't hurt that the Chairman of the Board of Directors, Beowulf's governing body, is Honor's uncle.

We see a lot of the Solarian League's top level bureaucrats making mistake after mistake in continually underestimating Manticore. We see them sending a huge fleet to Manticore to demolish it, only to have it totally annihilated. For the first time, they're actually told by naval analysts they have virtually no chance of winning the war and little chance of remaining in power. Indeed, the Solarian League might even collapse. So, they make contingency plans. We see Manticore start making economic war on the League and it starts to really hurt the League. And we see the League blame Beowulf as traitors and as the reason the invasion failed.

Apparently, this book is simply one half of a longer book that was cut in two by the publisher with the second half published a year or two later. I just bought this second book and got it in the mail yesterday. Started it last night. Don't know how it'll turn out, but hopefully it'll be good. So, yes, not as much action, though there's definitely some. And a lot of politics and political intrigue. Which I like. It sets the plot up more fully so you understand how and why things are transpiring as they are. I'm not certain this is actually a five star book, because it's not actually as good as other Honor books I've given five stars to, but I can't think of any reasons not to give it five stars, so I am. Recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Oct 30, 2015 |
My sole complaint about this book is that it took too long to bring Honor herself onto the stage. I understand that a lot of bridge work had to get lumped in at the beginning, but even so...

That said, this book represents a fundamental shift in the Honorverse, and I can't wait to see what happens next. I expect it will be a long, epic saga of the sort I've grown accustomed to from this series, and I look forward to it. ( )
1 vote RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
I enjoyed it but the overall plot is moving at a glacial pace. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
This series is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Firstly, it takes itself much too seriously considering that it prominently features a species of psychic six-legged cat. Secondly, many of the heroes are cartoonishly heroic and good. The pacing is often glacial, and the cast is bloated by interchangeable supporting characters. I often find myself rolling my eyes as yet another villain chews the scenery like an overexcited beaver.

So why do I read it? This series features the most gripping and exciting space combat in any fiction I've ever encountered. In the beginning of the series, the technologies of the space ships necessitated a sort of battle which strongly resembled 17th century naval engagement. This grounding in reality led to all sorts of elaborate combat scenes, which were nonetheless easy to follow. Over the course of the series, changes in tech and tactics have evolved the battles in a unique and utterly strange sort of space combat.

So onto this specific book. It was 90% political intrigue, 9% character development, and 1% space combat. As a result, I only thought it was okay. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bury, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
GenkisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"After a brutal attack on the Manticoran home system, Honor Harrington has rooted out a plan designed to enslave the entire human species. Behind that plans lies the shadowy organization known as the Mesan Alignment. Task #1 for Honor is to shut down and secure the wormhole network that is the source of the Star Kingdom's wealth and power--but also its greatest vulnerability. Yet this is an act that the ancient and corrupt Earth-based Solarian League inevitably takes as a declaration of war. Once again Honor Harrington is thrust into a desperate battle that she must win if she is to survive to take the fight to the real enemy of galactic freedom"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible