Carolinda Clatter! by Mordicai Gerstein

Carolinda Clatter!

by Mordicai Gerstein

This was not one of my favorite reads. I do not quite understand the message as fully as I have understood the messages in the other books. This book entails a fantasy a sleeping giant has of being in love with the moon. Throughout the years, the Sleeping Giant becomes a small town in which everyone remains absolutely quiet in order to prevent from waking the giant. When a teacher is reading this book to first grade class, they may interpret the book differently than reading to a group of third graders. This book takes you on a journey of overcoming ones fear without interruption of people around you. It is about being different no matter how people perceive you. ( )
  mbabst | Apr 6, 2015 |
Carolinda Clatter is an original fairy tale by Gerstein that explores the importance of communication and an individual's perceptions. Carolinda is the first loud person born into a town that was scared it might accidentally wake the giant that sleeps beneath the earth. The book focuses on individuality and expression as more important than the status quo.
  pbrent | Jul 16, 2012 |
The town is very quiet so that they don't wake the giant that the people live on. However, Carolinda is very loud. She loves to make all types of noise. She wakes the giant, but sings to the giant to soothe him until he fell asleep. She encouraged others in the town to sing and had visitors from all over the world come to hear their music. ( )
  mmontet | Oct 19, 2011 |
Carolinda is born into a town that has been quiet for centuries so that it does not wake the giant upon whom the town is built. However, Carolinda is anything but quiet, so she ends up waking the giant, and then has to save the town. ( )
  Jenpark | Apr 17, 2011 |
Summary: A giant who is alone in the world without anyone to love him. So he falls in love with the moon. The moon is cold to him so he gets sad and cries himself to sleep. He sleeps for thousands of years and a town is built on him. One day Carolinda is born and she is very very noisy. She wakes the giant with her singing. The giant wants to get up, but that would destroy the town. Carolinda convinces the giant to stay asleep.
Review:I can see how Mordicai Gerstein won the Caldecott Medal because the artwork in this book is great. Excellent use of color really expresses the mood. I like how it was written as a mini folk tale.
School Use: The students could develop a story about their home town and how it was saved by a young person. Maybe a cartoon strip could be made out of their stories.
  trevordyett | Dec 6, 2009 |
For Risa Faye Amelia Harris-Gerstein With al my love
Once there was a lonely giant who fell in love with the moon.

"Shhhh!" whisper the people of Pupickton to Carolinda. "You'll wake the giant!" "I can't help it," declares Carolinda. " I love NOISE!" But when the giant stirs and Carolinda is sent to put him back to sleep-it turns out to be noise-the special kind of noise that Carolinda makes-that soothes the giant and unites him with the moon who once wouldn't have him. Carolinda Clatter! is an ebullient and touching story about love, self-expression, and the mysterious power of music, illustrated with gloriously spirited paintings. (1-59643-063-X)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 159643063X, Hardcover)

Amazon.com's Significant Seven
Mordicai Gerstein graciously agreed to answer the questions we like to ask every author: the Amazon.com Significant Seven.

Q: What book has had the most significant impact on your life?
A: Alice in Wonderland. I read it as a child, and then read it to each of my three children, and it always knocked me out.
Q: You are stranded on a desert island with only one book, one CD, and one DVD--what are they?
A: The book: The most complete anthology of poetry in English from earliest to now. The music: Bach's Well Tempered Clavier, books one and two. The movie: Beat the Devil.

Q: What is the worst lie you've ever told?
A: I never tell lies.

Q: Describe the perfect writing environment.
A: Early summer morning in the Adirondacks in an attic room looking out over a meadow at the high peaks.

Q: If you could write your own epitaph, what would it say?
A: "The world is an endlessly beautiful place, and the food is spectacular. Please don't screw it up."

Q: Who is the one person living or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
A: My mother, who died in 1970.

Q: If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
A: Flight!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:36 -0400)

The excessively quiet town of Pupickton and the sleeping lovesick giant upon which it was built, are both awakened by the joyful noise of a little girl's songs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,597,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible