Daughters of the Revolution by Carolyn Cooke

Daughters of the Revolution

by Carolyn Cooke

Recently added byprivate library, ConnieCovLee, diana.n, dms02, gaeta1, snoosh, ange82ns, missbutternut

I was drawn to this novel because of the book's good reviews and its purported story of the first female student at a New England prep school. While I greatly enjoyed reading some of the paragraphs in this novel, I agree that the chapters each seem more like short stories. The "plot",as it were, is unsatisfying and the pleasure of reading Carolyn Cooke's words and phrases can't make up for the lack of good story well-told. I look forward to the author's growth as a writer because, although this novel failed me, the intelligent and evocative prose paired with a well-conceived and paced plot could be a wonder to read. I have my fingers crossed.
  ToReadToNap | Jul 3, 2011 |
More a disjointed collection of short stories than a novel. Overabundance of descriptions of sexual acts. Last story/chapter finally ties the stories/chapters in the book together. ( )
1 vote sallylou61 | Jun 30, 2011 |
It reminds me of a corny Saturday night drama on NBC that's on for 10 years because it gets the nostalgia crowd, even if it is insipid trash. .. But there are good flashes scattered here and there. Sometimes it’s beautiful.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Oct 13, 2011)

It's 1968. The prestigious but cash-strapped Goode School in the town of Cape Wilde is run by its aging, philandering headmaster, Goddard Byrd, known to both his friends and his enemies as God. With Cape Wilde engulfed by the social and political storms of integration, coeducation and the sexual revolution, Byrd has confidently promised coeducation "over my dead body." And then, through a clerical error, the Goode School admits its first female student: Carole Faust, a brilliant, intractable fifteen-year-old black girl.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,487,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible