Big Sex Little Death: A Memoir by Susie…

Big Sex Little Death: A Memoir (2011)

by Susie Bright

I love her essays. I love her passion and chutzpah. I admired her during the Lesbian Sex Wars of the early 1990s.

I really didn't enjoy this memoir. It was disjointed and, more unforgivably, flat. If you are interested in the Socialist/Labor movement of the late 1970s or the sex radical movement of the 80s/90s or the history of On Our Backs, it's worth getting for an overview, but generally, I'm sad to report this just wasn't very enjoyable. ( )
  nancyewhite | Jun 9, 2011 |
As a person who came of age during the roaring '70's only to enter college and adulthood for the early years of HIV, I've always admired Susie Bright. She's been a sex-positive educator throughout her career - openly gay, an editor of annual collections of erotic stories. She founded On Our Backs, the first magazine for gay women. She was the first female critic of the X-Rated Critics Organization and wrote feminist reviews of erotic films for the Penthouse Forum. She sassy and funny and was a beacon during the Reagan-era for treating sex as a normal and extra fun part of life. I was really excited to get this memoir, but stopped reading about halfway in. It's not that it wasn't well-written or interesting (it is both), but for some reason it just didn't grab me. Maybe I already know as much as I want to know about Susie Bright? ( )
  kraaivrouw | May 21, 2011 |
Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
-W. B. Yeats
This book is dedicated to: Elizabeth Joanne Halloran Bright 1925-2004 & William Oliver Bright 1927-2006
[Preface]How does a woman, an American woman born in midcentury , write a memoir?
I couldn't sleep last night.

From a fearful Irish Catholic Girl Scout to gun-toting teenage revolutionary--and finally the "Avatar of American Erotica" (NY Times)--Bright's life story is shaped as much by America's sexual awakening as the national sexual landscape was altered by Bright herself. In Big sex little death, Bright introduces us to her influences and experiences, including her early involvement with notorious high school radicals, The Red Tide, as well as the magazine she cofounded in the 1980s, On our backs--the first-ever erotic magazine created by women, which turned the lesbian and bisexual community upside down before it took the "straight" world by storm. Big sex little death is an explosive yet intimate memoir that's pure Susie: bold, free-spirited, unpredictable--larger than life, yet utterly true to life.… (more)

Susie Bright is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

11 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,310,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible