Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

English (207)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (209)
Anna kills, but you'll like her. You will be on her side. You will want to be on her side.

I am marking this a spoiler just in case.
What drove me furious is Will's self-righteousness. I don't understand why Cas felt he owed him anything in the beginning. EVERY one of them seemed to forget that tiny unimportant thing that freaking Mike (Will and Chase too, when you think about it) took Cas to Anna's house and hit him with a board. The way Mike died was horrible, and I might feel sorry for the guy if it weren't Will's attitude later or Cas's misplaced feeling of owing the guy. The way that was told you get the feeling that hitting someone with a board is nothing.

I liked how you don't get step-by-step explanation when Thomas and Morfram do their spells later. Since Cas is the one who is telling us and he doesn't know anything about it, it comes out more real. He gets an explanation only when he asks about stuff and they are usually short.

Supernatural is one of my favourite TV series and even though Anna Dressed in Blood is like a longer episode it is still a great story. Every time you think nothing new would happen or the author exhausted all the good ideas, you are proven wrong.
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
This book is awesomely creepy, but isn't your average ghost story. I'm so excited there is a sequel!! ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
...I like that Blake uses aspects of real-life witchcraft and voodoo practices in tandem with her imagination to create the paranormal elements in Anna Dressed in Blood; Cas himself is skeptical about the realness and practicality of such practices, but I feel like he's one of the last people who should turn up his nose at such things...

...Quite frankly, I didn't much care for Cas in general. He's a broody, pretentious douchebag. His usual method of learning about ghosts from the locals is to go straight to the popular girls at whatever school he's enrolled in, because they know all the gossip and he's So Good-Looking they of course cannot resist his charms...But he has no time for girls (#sorrynotsorry for stringing you all along), or anyone else, for that matter, except his mom and the ghosts he's hunting down, so when we meet Cas, he's just a loner who fancies himself some kind of antihero, except he's really just kind of a self-important dick...

...The one main element to this book that I could have really done without was the Cas/Anna romance; I don't think it added anything at all to the story, apart from being the reason Blake uses for why Anna doesn't kill Cas outright, like she killed everyone else who went inside her house. There were other options that would have served much better: maybe she doesn't kill him because she can sense how he is different from typical humans. But no: again, these are high school characters, with all the angst and insta-love geometry that is so popular in books and movies featuring teenagers, so we get this shallow, thrown-together, star-crossed lovers trope.

I did appreciate how Blake doesn't shy away from getting graphic with the gory bits, and Anna herself was, appropriately, the most well-developed character in the book. Honestly, she is the only well-developed character in the book. I'll probably pick up the second book in this series eventually, but since it sounds like it's still Cas-centric but with even more brooding and star-crossed insta-love angst, I'm not expecting to like it much better. I wish the title character were the main character, but it is what it is...

(For the complete review, you can visit me at Here Be Bookwyrms on Blogger) ( )
  here.be.bookwyrms | Mar 20, 2017 |
Anna Dressed In Blood is written by Kendare Blake, an American author living in Washington state. She says she "writes dark" and this YA paranormal/horror is no exception. It can be read as a stand alone, but, gratefully, there is a sequel, Girl of Nightmares.

Published by Tor Teen (12 - 18), the premise is simple. Lone ghost hunter boy meets psychotic dead girl and sparks fly. It's a classic Romeo and Juliet, dagger and all, but the tone, voice and tempo of the story is so engaging, you don't think cliché all. Not once. The characters are true to life and they propel the story along with their humor, wit and fear. No jolting out of this narrative. It's tight, authentic and compelling.

Blake has the ability to take a classic star crossed lovers story and turn it into something completely fresh. It's done with sensitivity and the skill to write characters who grow and develop (forwards and back), allowing for a range of conflicting emotions, morals and drives. In other words, they ring true. The supernatural being, Anna, feels remarkably believable, at once repulsive and sympathetic, a true anti-hero/dark hero. Told in the third person from the POV of Cas, a 17 year old high school junior/ghost hunter, the language is at times raw, the imagery gory and the emotions elating to heartbreaking.

I was particularly impressed with Tor Teen's editing and liberal ruling on the tone of the story. There was no watering down, censoring of profanity (well, I didn't see the submitted draft so maybe . . .). The point is, Anna Dressed in Blood treats their readers as the savvy people they are. Well done.

Needless to say, I'm reading book 2 as we speak. ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
With a name like Anna Dressed in Blood, the expectation is that Kendare Blake's novel would be a spooky one; and I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint. Cas carries on his father's work - killing the already dead - and his latest case leads him to a town where a violent ghost with a tangled past resides; her name is Anna.

While the story itself is spooky, it wasn't scary to the point of frightening, that is, it didn't keep me up at night. The pace was a bit slow in the beginning, but picked up towards the middle of the book, becoming a late-night page turner (or book listener, as I was listening on tape!)

I enjoyed the layer and mystery that Kendare laid out in the story, there is the mystery of Anna and the mystery of Cas's father's death and Cas is in the middle trying to figure it all out. I also enjoyed the way she tied things up in the end and left it open for the next book.

One of the things that I didn't like much was how quickly Cas - a perpetual loner - seemed to gain friends and how soon they became involved in his life. Also, as I was listening to the audio book, while I liked the narrator's style, I wasn't a fan of the voices. However, overall it was an enjoyable experience, and I definitely won't shy away from listening to more books on tape.

Anna Dressed in Blood is definitely a great spooky read. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,879,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible