dismiss

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:2012, Your library
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, horror, supernatural, ghosts, magic, romance, chosen one trope, series: anna dressed in blood

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)
Ghosts (194)

Honestly not a lot to say besides I enjoyed this one a lot. It was a nice break from the doom and gloom of Stephen King. This book reminds me of a hybrid of "Supernatural" with a little "Charmed" mixed in for good measure.

"Anna Dressed in Blood" follows teen Cas who has the ability to sense ghosts and also send them away if he manages to kill them (how do you kill something already dead?) with his father's enchanted athame. Ca's father was also a ghost hunter until he met a tragic end. Cas's sole mission is to get strong enough to go back one day and put to end the ghost that killed his father. When he and his mother are on the move again for him to track down and put down another ghost, Cas starts to realize that this trip is different.

Cas reminds me a bit of Dean and Sam from Supernatural. Cas would be the perfect hybrid of these two characters. Cas apparently is good at research, but can also protect himself when going up against ghosts. One wonders though after what is revealed in the end, was that all him though or something else?

Due to the nomadic life he has lived, Cas hasn't really thought about friends or girls. However, after coming to Thunder Bay, Ontario, he starts to develop friendships with Thomas and Carmel. Thomas has some telepathic ability and Carmel is the queen bee of the school. You don't see these friendships coming, but Blake does a good job of fleshing out this threesome. You have Cas's mom who is hoping for something more with Carmel and Thomas who is hoping for something more. I kind of wanted Carmel to pop up and say I am good and keep on keeping on. That was the only part of the book I didn't care for, Carmel was not a prize to be won by Thomas or Cas. Thank God though there is no dumb love triangle in this book. Cas sees Carmel as a really cool and strong friend and I was delighted with that.

We get some other characters who get a bad end. We do have some gruesome scenes here and there, but nothing too scary. We do find out eventually what happened to Anna and how she became an uber ghost. I think that the book could have easily been cut in half, but we continue on and we get some more to do with Cas's father and his legacy. I was worried there was too much going on int his book, but Blake manages to walk the line.

The flow works in this one though I did want to yell at Cas for being dumb sometimes. The action slows down a bit when Cas and Anna talk. I know why Blake set it up that way (for us and Cas to get to know her) but I had a hard time with her not being that scary really.

The ending leaves things with a slight cliffhanger. I know there's a second book in this series, but the reviews have been mixed. I may just leave things here since I really enjoyed Cas and his ghost hunting. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This was pretty good.

It's perfect for people who want a light and easy paranormal read that happens to be a teen urban fantasy, rather than a teen urban fantasy that has paranormal elements.

For me, that focus is key. I like ghost stories, and while this one isn't particularly scary, it does manage to be fun, full of magic, a bit of mystery, and interesting characters. It's pretty popcorn and a pleasant way to spend a morning. :)

Nothing deep, just ghost hunting with high schoolers. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
“It feels so separate, like I’ve touched something that’s taken the color out of me. Or maybe I’m in color now and they’re in black and white.”

Let me start off with a confession, I used to be a complete Supernatural fangirl. There :| However, I don’t usually read horror. This caught my attention though and boy am I glad it did…

It was a little slow in the beginning but around 50 pages in things started picking up. Then, around 100 pages in, things started REALLY picking up. I lost a whole night of sleep because I didn’t want to stop reading. The writing style was simple but it pulled you in.

Cas is serving us lone wolf, broody, self-destructive boi vibes but really he’s a sweetheart. A lonely sweetheart. Ok yes, he’s a badass that’s been killing ghosts since he was 14, but he’s only human. We see him be scared and panic because yes, shit's scary sometimes. We also see him start realizing that yes, he does want friends and normal teenage experiences. Thomas and Candice help him realize that. Candice is a popular girl and Thomas is “the weird kid” who didn’t really have friends before this himself. I honestly loved their little gang and I cant wait to see their adventures in the next book. And then there’s Anna, the girl who deserved better. There’s this one part where we see how she died and holy crap, I teared up a little. I don’t wanna spoil anything so I’ll just say that she’s honestly a bad bitch.

I will say, there was a bit of instalove but I think that’s a common theme in these kinds of books so it kind of worked actually. I was expecting this to be a little more scary though. While there were some very creepy moments, I guess this was just more focused on the romance.

(Also, it was written in red wich was pretty cool, hehe)
  Kat.Nova | Apr 27, 2020 |
Wow, it's been a while since I read a good ghost story. I guess the last one was The Woman in Black last fall. Guess fall is the time for ghost stories, isn't it? This was a good one. Cas is a good main character. Blake does an excellent job telling the story from a male point of view. I like the way that Cas ends up with a Scooby Doo type gang. I liked that Blake gave Cas a strong, honest relationship with his mother. And I loved the turn that things took with Anna.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
I wouldn't call it "spellbinding and romantic", but I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it would. The beginning ghost story sounded very much like an episode of Supernatural, but the plot was different enough to keep me interested. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,644,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible