Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

1,1891906,747 (3.93)53
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Audiobook, Owned

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

Anna Dressed in Blood, was a surprisingly good read.
This book is about Cas and Anna. Cas always moves from place to place, killing dangerous ghosts with his athame, never staying long enough to make any friends, but when it comes to Anna, he can't kill her and move on to the next ghost, she's too strong. When he's with her though, Anna doesn't have the urge to kill him for some reason. So Cas tries to learn more about Anna and what makes her different from other ghosts. While doing so, he gains friends, Carmel and Thomas, to help him. When they finally figure out Anna's story, another problem arrives that threatens his life. But with the help of his friends, and Anna, he manages to survive the day.
I don't usually read horror novels, partly because I'm such a scaredy cat, but this book wasn't as scary as I thought. At times, I cringed a little, but it was nothing compared to how I scream my head off when watching horror films. Anyways, this book was great, and I'll definitely be reading the next one.
  elizabeth1929 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I’ve been putting off reading this book because, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m such a scaredy-cat when it comes to thrillers. But after reading this, I questioned why I ever prolonged doing so. Yep, I liked it so much that I actually called our local bookstore to ask if they have the sequel – Girl of Nightmares. Luckily, they still have 3 copies left and I’m picking up mine tomorrow – yay!

The book has a good opening, immediately giving you an idea of what the story is about. We first meet the main protagonist – Thesius Cassio Lowood, or Cas for short. He’s sort of a cross between the Ghostbusters (minus the proton pack, PKE mater and ghost trap) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (except he slays ghosts instead of vampires). Cas is a strong protagonist, albeit he tends to be brash and at times careless, but you will emphasize with the motivation behind his actions.

Aside from Cas there are several likeable characters in the story: Cas’ mom is a cool witch and it’s amusing the length she goes to in order to protect her son. I also like Carmel because she’s not your typical most-popular-girl-in-school character. She’s actually nice, smart and brave. Thomas is the nerdy guy who can read minds and dabbles in witchcraft. He’s in love with Carmel and is a loyal friend to Cas. Other characters I liked are Gideon, the mentor of Cas’ father who also looks after Cas even though he lives far away, and Morfran, Thomas’ witch uncle who helps them out with spells, among other things. I even like Tybalt, the black cat of Cas’ mom, who speaking of I feel bad for, but I’m not going to tell you why. Did I mention I don’t like spoilers?

However, the most surprising character that I ended up liking is the girl on the cover – the ghost of Anna. She kills anyone who sets foot in her old, abandoned house, and by killing I mean really violent and gruesome. Her backstory is a sad and cruel tale and sheds light on why she ended up that way. There are also several antagonists in the story – both ghosts and living, but the main antagonist is revealed towards the end of the book. The story is well-written, and although it is indeed creepy, there are touches of humor and romance too.

At first Cas comes off as a lone wolf, but by the end of the book he eventually opens up and lets other people in. The scene where they were doing the spirit circle inside Anna’s house is exciting as well as the confrontation between Cas and the main antagonist towards the end. I find the romance between Cas and Anna weird, I just can’t wrap my mind around it. But the author was able to write those scenes in such a way that, for a moment, you forget the improbability of such a romance.

I’m really looking forward to reading the sequel to see what happened to Anna, and whether there is a future between her and Cas. I bought my copy of Anna Dressed in Blood and give it 4 stars. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 31, 2015 |
It was good, but still not as good as i have expected. I guess sometimes with novels whose ratings are trough the roof, your bar of expectations gets set really high.

I went into this novel without reading anything but the blurb beforehand. I only knew that a lot of people loved it.

The writing was good, i have to say. The characters had their own uniqueness, and they were not one dimensional.

The plot was different to be sure, but still somehow wound up being a frilly teen romance, despite all the darker elements presented.

Solid, but no more then that. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |

You can also find this review on my book blog: thatgirlbookworm

This book was truly amazing. It was a one of a kind book with a unique plot. While reading this book, I couldn’t help thinking of Dean and Sam from Supernatural. Cas is a ghost killer who goes all over North America to kill harmful ghosts. When he seeks out Anna Korlov or “Anna Dressed In blood,” Cas encounters something different than he is used to.

The characters featured in this book are unique, well written, and are nothing typical. Blake was not afraid to break out of the norm having both tough and weak male characters, as well as female characters who are equally tough and weak. There are no minor characters. Everyone is equally important and none are more developed than others.

Another really good feature of this book was that there was almost no focus on a love interest, and no weird drama. Most books now have some sort of drama between main characters that creates some sort of tension, however Anna Dressed In Blood was entirely focused on the plot and not on the useless side stories.

Overall, I really loved the plot and concept of this book. A ghost, a tragic backstory, a haunted house and Canada as the main setting really sealed the deal on my love for this book. I definitely recommend it. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
-If you picking this book because you want to read a horror book, that leave you scare for a couple of days then be aware, it's not scary at all. It is actually funny, but that is not bad thing because the book is an awesome read.
-The main character Cas, A ghosts hunter who kills ghosts with his inherited blade. For me Cas didn't come out like a bad-ass which make him more real and fun to read about.Anna (the ghost) i like her she is sweetheart >.-i like all the characters but by the end of the book.i discovered my favorite is CARMEL.That girl is awesome,she got my stamp of approval.

In conclusion, if you are looking for quick, fun and adorable book to read then this is your choice. but if you are looking for a true horror book then you will probably be disappointed.

hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible