Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake

Collections:Audiobook, Owned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

Cas and his mom are nomadic, traveling North America to hunt ghosts. It is the family business and a legacy that he has taken on from his dead father. The two move to Canada to deal with Anna, a girl who was murdered and is rumored to be responsible for many deaths in the house that she haunts.
When Cas and Anna first meet, something strange happens Anna doesn't kill him and Cas wants to protect her. With the help of some friends, Cas gets to the bottom of the strange powers and dreams he is having that are a harbinger of evil beyond what he imagines. ( )
  ewyatt | Oct 13, 2014 |
Anna kills, but you'll like her. You will be on her side. You will want to be on her side.

I am marking this a spoiler just in case.
What drove me furious is Will's self-righteousness. I don't understand why Cas felt he owed him anything in the beginning. EVERY one of them seemed to forget that tiny unimportant thing that freaking Mike (Will and Chase too, when you think about it) took Cas to Anna's house and hit him with a board. The way Mike died was horrible, and I might feel sorry for the guy if it weren't Will's attitude later or Cas's misplaced feeling of owing the guy. The way that was told you get the feeling that hitting someone with a board is nothing.

I liked how you don't get step-by-step explanation when Thomas and Morfram do their spells later. Since Cas is the one who is telling us and he doesn't know anything about it, it comes out more real. He gets an explanation only when he asks about stuff and they are usually short.

Supernatural is one of my favourite TV series and even though Anna Dressed in Blood is like a longer episode it is still a great story. Every time you think nothing new would happen or the author exhausted all the good ideas, you are proven wrong.
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
What a creepy little book. Me likes. Truth be told, I've always had a fascination with ghosts and the paranormal, so this was right up my alley.

I particularly enjoyed that it was a male POV. In the genres that I frequently read, women rule, so this was a nice change. There was a lot less nonsense than usual. It's not that Blake is perpetuating a male stereotype, but rather that so many other authors perpetuate stereotypes about women. I like my MC's no-nonsense, regardless of gender.

A couple of times, I thought I had the book figured out and I felt a little resentment. I nearly posted a status commenting on a popular "plot ploy" that mediocre authors love to lean on, but I'm so glad I didn't, as I woulda had to eat my words. I didn't have jackshit figured out and Blake successfully threw me for a loop. It's an interesting premise with interesting characters and a solid plot. All good things.

If I had to mention a negative, it'd be the whole "Cas loves Anna" thing. Love? Really? I get that a couple of months supposedly went by, but it didn't feel like it for me. The few interactions between them involved a lot of scary shit and Anna threatening Cas. I can understand a sense of attraction and/or curiosity that could lead to more, but at no point was there enough relationship development as to merit the word "love" being tossed around. Lost some credibility and 1 star there.

As I mentioned, the book is creepy. Gory, too, so you're forewarned. I read in the dark and even I, self-proclaimed Ghost Connoisseur, had a few moments of "What was that noise?" and glancing around room in anticipation of imminent death. A couple of times I even saw a specter. It was a little smelly and wolf-like, except for its small stature and ever-wagging tail... I dunno if it was Death, but its breath was..

Anywho, thumbs up for this book. I would have read it pretty quickly were it not for the fact that I was vacationing. Extra points awarded for always staying in the back of my mind and beckoning me to pick it up, despite having other fun, vaca stuff to do. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
In the beginning of this book the author introduce the main male character by describing his job. He created the scene of the main character trying to kill a hitchhiker's ghost. This introduction is fantastic because it grabs the reader's attention and create a powerful background of Cas. The author introduce the female main character by sending her name written in blood on a piece of scratch paper to Cas asking to kill the ghost. This makes the reader feel creepy and build a anticipation for the appearance of Anna.

Once Cas got in town he meet Thomas a shy boy who got bullied in school by the popular jocks and he could read people's mind. Cas originally dislike Thomas because he thinks it make him more vulnerable when Thomas could hear his mind. However Cas grew to like Thomas after he saved him and they became best friends over time. Cas value this friendship over everything because Thomas is his first real friend since he always stay away from people. Cas hates to grew attach to a place, person or a thing since he know that he is going to chase after another ghost right after he kill this ghost.

Carmel is the queen bee of the north thorm high school. Unlike any other queen bee she know that people only talk to her and befriend her to get more popularly. When Cas first come to school she know exactly why he followed her around but she play along because she think that he is very interesting. Later in the book Carmel discover that she is stronger than she think and even though she said she will stay out of trouble she will always go in to save her friends.

Anna was killed when she was only a teenager she got her head decapitated and blood was spilled all across her white dress. Ever since then she wear her bloody white dress and she would brutally kill anyone who dares to walk into her front door. When Cas first walked into her front door she spared his life for some unknown reason even thought she could take his life in one blow. Cas was surprised by Anna's naiveness and her look of innocent so he decided to find out more about Anna. Later in the stories Cas, Thomas, and Carmel find out the reason Anna is bounded to the house and why she seems to have two personality, one innocent teenager and one horrifying murderer.

Although this book absolutely no literary masterpiece but it is certainly is a page turner. It grabs the reader's attention in the beginning and won't let go until the end. I constantly have nightmares several nights after I read the book it is absolutely a great Halloween reads. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants a good ghost story. ( )
  jennywulove | Jul 28, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible