Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake

Collections:Audiobook, Owned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

I really enjoyed this book. I've been reading horror for ages, and (likely because it's YA) the horror aspect of this book seemed tame compared to what I'm used to. That wasn't an issue for me, just an observation to pass along. The story was very well-written and the characters well-developed. I particularly liked how the core characters seemed like teenagers who were so different that were it not for the unique situation they faced they would never enter each others' atmosphere. The only pet peeve I have is the relationship between Cas and Anna. There was really no reasoning or explanation as to why it went the direction it did. I didn't sense any chemistry between these two, unlike with the other characters. Despite that, I still very much enjoyed this and look forward to the sequel. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
YA horror, so not nearly as gruesome or scary as it might have been, which is good since I have almost no tolerance for either. And probably closer to 3½ stars rather than 4, but it had that page-turning quality that leaves me willing to forgive some flaws. At first, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy the book, since I wasn't that fond of Cas, and when you aren't getting along with a first-person narrator, there's not much left to enjoy in a book. But I liked his mother and the people he was making friends with in Thunder Bay—and Anna—and after a while, I realized I'd gotten used to Cas as well.

I did have a few suspension of disbelief issues. Is it that easy to drop into a new school when you've been on the move most of your life? (Is it that easy for Americans to just move to Canada, or did I miss a key sentence that explained that Cas and his mother were Canadian?) On the other hand, I was glad to meet characters who weren't quite what I expected, starting with Anna herself, and a connection between the villain and Cas that took me by surprise. An interesting quick read. ( )
  Silvernfire | Oct 30, 2014 |
This is definitely not a genre that I typically read nor do I often read from a male's perspective. However I really enjoyed this book. Both the main characters, Anna and Cas and the secondary characters were realistic and likable. The only thing not so great was the underdeveloped and slightly awkward love story that was barely addressed and much was left to reader interpretation. Considering this isn't a standalone I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops in the second book. ( )
  MirandaR18 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Cas and his mom are nomadic, traveling North America to hunt ghosts. It is the family business and a legacy that he has taken on from his dead father. The two move to Canada to deal with Anna, a girl who was murdered and is rumored to be responsible for many deaths in the house that she haunts.
When Cas and Anna first meet, something strange happens Anna doesn't kill him and Cas wants to protect her. With the help of some friends, Cas gets to the bottom of the strange powers and dreams he is having that are a harbinger of evil beyond what he imagines. ( )
  ewyatt | Oct 13, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,483,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible