Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake

Collections:Audiobook, Owned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

English (206)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (208)
Anna kills, but you'll like her. You will be on her side. You will want to be on her side.

I am marking this a spoiler just in case.
What drove me furious is Will's self-righteousness. I don't understand why Cas felt he owed him anything in the beginning. EVERY one of them seemed to forget that tiny unimportant thing that freaking Mike (Will and Chase too, when you think about it) took Cas to Anna's house and hit him with a board. The way Mike died was horrible, and I might feel sorry for the guy if it weren't Will's attitude later or Cas's misplaced feeling of owing the guy. The way that was told you get the feeling that hitting someone with a board is nothing.

I liked how you don't get step-by-step explanation when Thomas and Morfram do their spells later. Since Cas is the one who is telling us and he doesn't know anything about it, it comes out more real. He gets an explanation only when he asks about stuff and they are usually short.

Supernatural is one of my favourite TV series and even though Anna Dressed in Blood is like a longer episode it is still a great story. Every time you think nothing new would happen or the author exhausted all the good ideas, you are proven wrong.
  Aneris | Dec 29, 2016 |
With a name like Anna Dressed in Blood, the expectation is that Kendare Blake's novel would be a spooky one; and I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint. Cas carries on his father's work - killing the already dead - and his latest case leads him to a town where a violent ghost with a tangled past resides; her name is Anna.

While the story itself is spooky, it wasn't scary to the point of frightening, that is, it didn't keep me up at night. The pace was a bit slow in the beginning, but picked up towards the middle of the book, becoming a late-night page turner (or book listener, as I was listening on tape!)

I enjoyed the layer and mystery that Kendare laid out in the story, there is the mystery of Anna and the mystery of Cas's father's death and Cas is in the middle trying to figure it all out. I also enjoyed the way she tied things up in the end and left it open for the next book.

One of the things that I didn't like much was how quickly Cas - a perpetual loner - seemed to gain friends and how soon they became involved in his life. Also, as I was listening to the audio book, while I liked the narrator's style, I wasn't a fan of the voices. However, overall it was an enjoyable experience, and I definitely won't shy away from listening to more books on tape.

Anna Dressed in Blood is definitely a great spooky read. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I hAd a hard time suspending disbelief in the story, but I adored the writing style!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I wasn't completely wowed by this book, but it's a good read if you're looking for: (a) blood, gore, and ghosts or (b) something akin to a YA version of Supernatural. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,680,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible