Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2011)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

944None9,190 (3.96)50
Member:Mumugrrl
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:ghosts, witches, young adult, ghost hunter, canada

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

2012 (15) Canada (8) ebook (14) fantasy (50) fiction (39) friendship (7) ghost stories (8) ghosts (98) horror (96) Kindle (9) library (6) love (8) murder (11) mystery (16) own (7) paranormal (50) paranormal romance (11) read (8) read in 2011 (7) read in 2012 (7) romance (29) series (13) supernatural (27) teen (15) to-read (93) urban fantasy (15) voodoo (13) witches (12) YA (68) young adult (83)
    The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

This book is about a teen boy who is a ghost hunter and killer. When he travels to kill the infamous Anna Dressed in Blood, he gets more than he bargained for. I really enjoyed this book. It was a different read, I expected the book to be trait and it wasn't. The plot took unexpected twists. I loved the main character Cas, he was serious and funny. I recommend it. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Apr 8, 2014 |
Awesome! I wanted to read it last october - but my library had not gotten it yet, so i had to read it during the summer - it still freaked me out though.

For one there is witches and wizards (Potterhead here), there is ghosts (im a total believer), Cassio is a reader! He falls IN LOVE with a ghosts. His dad was killed by a ghosts. There is a kid who can read minds! -- AND he is a wizard.

OH! and HARRY freakin POTTER GETS MENTIONED!

The end was in a way, perfect. It is not a happy ending - but at the same time, it is. Weird.

There are so many reasons to why this book is epic! I love it!
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
This book just didn't do it for me. The writing was dumbed down and the story was just OK. I listened to the audio version and it fell below expectations. ( )
  dinelson | Mar 22, 2014 |
EVERYONE seems to love that book! And I thought I would like it too but I really didn't. I just couldn't really get into it and I didn't get to like the 'horror' part of the story. Maybe I was just trying to hard to love it because everyone loved it or because I got it for my birthday and didn't want to disappoint anyone. But it just didn't work out so I didn't plan on reading the next book that's why I gave it away via bookmooch. ( )
  JustSitAndWooui | Mar 1, 2014 |
Cas is a teenage boy who has inherited his father's job as a ghost killer, hoping to avenge his death at the hands of a powerful ghost. When he meets his match with his latest target, Anna Dressed in Blood, he has to put aside his loner ways and bring in the help of his new friends to take her down.

This felt a lot like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, only with ghosts (a reference someone actually did make in the book, which made me laugh.) At first Cas is standoffish to all who try to befriend him in the town he moves to to hunt Anna, but he slowly grows to appreciate them as things get more difficult. His tendency for wisecracks in the middle of battle felt a little unrealistic even for a seasoned hunter, and some of the end twists also felt a little too neat and convenient, as if the author was trying to wrap up everything in one book. Still, descriptions of Anna and other ghosts were suitably scary and fun to read about, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book. ( )
  DeweyEver | Feb 20, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible