Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2011)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

1,3882015,480 (3.91)60
Member:Mumugrrl
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:ghosts, witches, young adult, ghost hunter, canada

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

This one took me a while to figure out how I felt about it. In the end I decided on a 3 or 3 1/2 stars. It wasn't the best book I've ever read but not the worst, and real middle of the road book for me.

I wasn't sure at fist whether or not I would even finish the book. Why? Because I HATED the main character. I felt he was the biggest douchebag asshole I had read about in a while. I felt he was needlessly mean to others and really to emo for me. However, after a while He calmed down and by the end I was rooting for him to succeed.

I did like the other side characters in the book, they were pretty fun to read about, if slightly 1-dimentional.

Overall, I liked it OK in the end. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Anna Dressed in Blood... This is one of those books that you definitely don't want to judge by its cover. I saw the cover and title and assumed that this would be one hell of a horror story. Unfortunately, that was not the case or at least I didn't think so. Don't get me wrong, the author throws some gore and paranormal elements in there but the way it was written just didn't scare me. I guess I expected more of an adult horror story but it's actually geared more toward high school teens. If you've ever read Rin Chupeco's Girl from the Well series, then you'll see the similarities. This story was a very watered down version of it. If you like mild paranormal ghost stories then this is a good pick but if you're looking for something that makes you want to leave the lights on then I would find something else to read. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Anna kills, but you'll like her. You will be on her side. You will want to be on her side.

I am marking this a spoiler just in case.
What drove me furious is Will's self-righteousness. I don't understand why Cas felt he owed him anything in the beginning. EVERY one of them seemed to forget that tiny unimportant thing that freaking Mike (Will and Chase too, when you think about it) took Cas to Anna's house and hit him with a board. The way Mike died was horrible, and I might feel sorry for the guy if it weren't Will's attitude later or Cas's misplaced feeling of owing the guy. The way that was told you get the feeling that hitting someone with a board is nothing.

I liked how you don't get step-by-step explanation when Thomas and Morfram do their spells later. Since Cas is the one who is telling us and he doesn't know anything about it, it comes out more real. He gets an explanation only when he asks about stuff and they are usually short.

Supernatural is one of my favourite TV series and even though Anna Dressed in Blood is like a longer episode it is still a great story. Every time you think nothing new would happen or the author exhausted all the good ideas, you are proven wrong.
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
i do believe i had enough reading books about blood and splattered guts and flesh
but i LOVED this story , but boy was this scary!

i definitely don't recommend reading this book at night if you are easily scared ( like me)
i enjoyed this so much that i kept reading it all day , and night ( big mistake) , that at some point i had to stop and keep it for when morning comes , because i just couldn't handle it anymore, my hearts was beating and all i kept thinking is

" what was that" "i think i saw someone"

so , the scenes where scary things happened were good, amazing!

but , i had a bit of a hard time getting into the story , the beginning was slow and not that interesting , it wasn't until Anna ( the ghost) showed her powers and made a mess with human flesh that i started focusing on the story.

The characters , i though they were good , not that intriguing but still nice to read about
Anna was my favorite , she is the queen of hell at first , then we get to see the real her , that sweet little girl who wouldn't hurt a fly . which was also good about her is that we got to look at her past and what made her who she is now , which created some depth into her character that i connected with and made me always curious about her next move.

Cas, even if we got to know a lot about him , i didn't like him very much , i didn't hate him either , but seeing things from his perspective and hearing his thoughts isn't what you call delightful .

however , i did love his relationship wish Anna , a ghost and a ghost killer.
they are both presented with this chance of happiness , yet they know it's too impossible

“You make me want things I can't have.”
—Anna

The ending wasn't happy , but i felt like it was great , perfect for this story and i enjoyed it even if it broke my heart a little.

The writing was also good, i finished this book in two sittings , maybe even faster if i had enough courage to read it at night , but oh well...

i would recommend this book to you if you're looking for a scary story , something to get your heart racing , yet with interesting elements ( i loved the stories of the ghosts and their pasts) ( )
1 vote Spymer | Aug 4, 2016 |
  MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,185,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible