Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2011)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

1,2221916,525 (3.93)54
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:ghosts, witches, young adult, ghost hunter, canada

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

Anna Dressed in Blood is a very very good horror story, one that will keep you turning the pages until the very end. It's tense, exhilarating and pretty dark.

Why on Earth then did you give this book lower rating? you might ask.

Truth is, I felt that with all the excellence of this novel, the love story was completely unnecessary. It's awkward at its best, developed under highly unlikely circumstances and it just doesn't stick.

Why would a boy who sees Anna as his target, who just witnessed the girl killing someone in the most gruesome fashion suddenly feel for this girl? I'm sorry, but no. Sympathy, pity, certain respect, fear... I can understand that. But love? That's pretty twisted.

Cas himself reminded me of Cassel Sharp from Holly Black's Curse Workers series. He likes to feel superior to his peers, detached from their worries, but in reality he is not that good at what he does. He manages to do it by sheer luck and perseverance, but not because of his skills and cunning. Hell, no. There are plenty of people around who really appreciate what he does and who help him all along the way.

The secondary characters though are really well done. I admire them for going against stereotypes. Carmel, especially. She is a beautiful blond cheerleader. Strong, not egocentric and very clever. She's got a really good heart and she falls not for Cas, the main character, but for his geeky mind-reading sidekick slash witch, Thomas. I thought it was awesome.

The scariest moment of this book? The cat dies. You do not kill the cat! *sobs* It's just so unbearably cruel. Kill humans instead. Pets are no-no, unless they are from The Pet Cemetery.

All in all, this is a fantastic read, full of suspense, and a very good murder mystery. Ditch the love story, and we'll have something truly great in the books to follow. I also hope to see more of Carmel and Thomas. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Anna Dressed in Blood is a YA paranormal horror book that reminds me of the episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer I’ve seen. Overall, it’s a solid piece of fun.

Cas Lowood kills ghosts. He’s traveled with his mother across the country, hunting down the haunting, monstrous spirits who kill the living humans around them with no self awareness. Then he finds a ghost called Anna Dressed in Blood, the spirit of a murdered girl who kills anyone who steps foot inside her old house. But Anna is different – she seems aware of what and where she is. And for some reason, she lets Cas live.

Looking at the synopsis for the book, I was worried that it would be a lot more romance focused than I like. As it turns out, while there is romance, there’s plenty of other stuff going on, and I never felt like the romance subplot overwhelmed the book as is the case with a lot of other YA paranormals.

I was also worried going in that I would find the book too scary. Horror isn’t really my genre, and I was hesitant to pick this up. Turns out that while there’s some gruesome parts, I actually didn’t find it that scary.

My favorite part of the story is Anna. She’s deliciously creepy, and I loved finding out about her backstory. I am wondering why she didn’t kill Cas, and I don’t think it was ever explained within the book. Also, the police and other authorities seem oddly relaxed when Anna kills someone? You’d think there’d be some more repercussions.

The pacing was generally good, and the book went by pretty quickly. I was able to predict some plot points, but there were others that I didn’t see coming.

I don’t find Anna Dressed in Blood particularly special, but it was enjoyable throughout and avoided the pitfalls many other paranormal YA books fall into. I would definitely recommend it, and I am planning on reading the sequel.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page ( )
  pwaites | Nov 19, 2015 |
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele

Die Kurzfassung: Ganz anders, als ich erwartet hätte, nichtsdestotrotz eine wirklich tolle Idee, bei der es aber eindeutig an der Umsetzung hapert.

Die Langfassung: Ich bin kein großer Fan von Geister-Geschichten, habe aber so viel Gutes über dieses Buch gehört, dass ich doch zu neugierig geworden bin, um die Finger vom Buch zu lassen. Und wurde von einer Geschichte überrascht, die so ganz anders ist, als ich es erwartet hätte.

Das erste Drittel des Buchs hat mich durchweg positiv überrascht. Ich fand die Geister-Mythologie, die die Autorin entworfen hat, einfach faszinierend und auch die Charaktere, allen voran Anna und Cas haben mich umgehend in ihren Bann gezogen. Selbst die blutigeren Szenen, mit denen ich oft Probleme habe, fand ich gut umgesetzt und für die Geschichte angemessen (was bedeutet, dass sie echt eklig waren ^^).

Leider hat mein Interesse am Buch danach rapide nachgelassen, weil mich die Autorin einfach nicht mehr fesseln konnte. Ich hatte ein wenig das Gefühl, dass die Autorin nicht ganz wusste, wie sie die für ein ganzes Buch benötigte Seitenzahl voll bekommen sollte. Denn nach dem ersten Drittel nimmt die Spannung im Buch rasant ab und nachdem Annas Geschichte erzählt und das Geheimnis um ihre Vergangenheit gelüftet ist, passiert mehr oder minder gar nichts mehr.

Dazu kommt, dass ich Cas irgendwann nicht mehr sympatisch fand, weil seine Handlungen immer weniger nachvollziehbar wurden. Außerdem wird die Geschichte selbst stellenweise etwas verwirrend, sodass es nicht ganz so einfach ist am Ball zu bleiben.

Allerdings fand ich Kendare Blakes Schreibstil sehr angenehm zu lesen, wenn auch sehr intensiv, sodass ich das Buch bis zum Ende durch gelesen habe, auch wenn es halt leider wirklich in der zweiten Hälfte stark schwächelt. Ob ich die Fortsetzung lesen werde oder das Buch weiterempfehlen würde, kann ich aber beim besten Willen nicht sagen. ( )
  FiliaLibri | Nov 10, 2015 |
Un libro che si legge benissimo, un horror moderno che richiama alla mente il telefilm supernatural. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
Anna kills, but you'll like her. You will be on her side. You will want to be on her side.

I am marking this a spoiler just in case.
What drove me furious is Will's self-righteousness. I don't understand why Cas felt he owed him anything in the beginning. EVERY one of them seemed to forget that tiny unimportant thing that freaking Mike (Will and Chase too, when you think about it) took Cas to Anna's house and hit him with a board. The way Mike died was horrible, and I might feel sorry for the guy if it weren't Will's attitude later or Cas's misplaced feeling of owing the guy. The way that was told you get the feeling that hitting someone with a board is nothing.

I liked how you don't get step-by-step explanation when Thomas and Morfram do their spells later. Since Cas is the one who is telling us and he doesn't know anything about it, it comes out more real. He gets an explanation only when he asks about stuff and they are usually short.

Supernatural is one of my favourite TV series and even though Anna Dressed in Blood is like a longer episode it is still a great story. Every time you think nothing new would happen or the author exhausted all the good ideas, you are proven wrong.
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible