Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2011)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

Member:Mumugrrl
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:ghosts, witches, young adult, ghost hunter, canada

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

I had a really hard time buying into this one. I loved the idea of a ghost hunter falling in love with one of the ghosts he's supposed to kill. Unfortunately, I found the writing kind of amateurish, and the "romance" feels as unlikely as it is. The deaths and disappearances that litter the book seem to go by almost without notice and only the shallowest of reactions from the characters who, often, are supposed to have been their friends. There's not enough back story to generate the necessary sympathy for the narrator, ghost hunter Cas, to overcome the rest of the book's requirement to suspend a great deal of disbelief. ( )
  yourotherleft | May 2, 2015 |
Lets start off with saying this is one of my favorite books.Anna Dressed in blood is supposed to be horror, but to me it wasn't all that scary. Don't get me wrong, there were some very scary moments, but it wasn't overly terrifying!

While this book may have lacked in horror, it scored in every other category. The plot line was almost genius, the characters (mainly Cas) were so developed, and Anna is, to this day, one of my favorite characters of all time!

Cas is a ghost hunter. He tracks down a gets rid of restless ghosts, and naturally we get led to Anna, a lovely ghost who tears apart anyone who enters her abandoned house.When Cas arrives, he expects Anna just to be another ghost, but he was oh-so wrong. Anna is like nothing Cas has ever seen before. She could gut Cas just as easily as a fish if she so desired,but for whatever reason she lets him get away. Thats all for the summary because this book is just so unexplainably awesome, you just have to read it yourself!!

But I will let you in on this: The ending is so amazing! I'm pretty sure I looked a lot like this....

And I either screamed a little or cried when i finished this book....I don't remember, regardless this book is pretty mind-blowing!

This review is also on my blog Bonjour Books http://www.bonjour2books.blogspot.com ( )

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
I highly enjoyed this book. All I got to say was I stunned by the ending. Totally unsuspected. ( )
  mamelotti | Apr 24, 2015 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible