Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2011)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

Member:Mumugrrl
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:ghosts, witches, young adult, ghost hunter, canada

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Recently added bysamanthawarren, jennywulove, private library, sreeparna, cinfien1977, jenevolves
    The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

Amazingly, I managed to go into Anna Dressed in Blood knowing nothing whatsoever about the book, despite its immense popularity with my friends. All I knew was that it was a horror novel, but not even anything more than that. Oh, and that this series has badass covers. It’s so rare to get to read such a hyped book knowing nothing and I treasured the experience. Kendare Blake does horror and plot well. Anna Dressed in Blood isn’t the scariest thing I’ve ever read, but it did make me shudder at times.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jul 10, 2014 |
O, How I must gush forth my love of this book like big arterial vein spurts of hot red blood! Too melodramatic? So I liked it a lot cut me a little….slack.

Blake’s writing style drew me in immediately from page one – with our first ghost, a sweet yet vengeful hitchhiker. We learn that the ghosts Cas spends his time dispatching are more often than not the unfortunate victims of horrible murders. Knowing they were the victims in life makes you want to sympathize with them. There is some excellent skills here in the descriptive writing department that I feel give you just enough without being too much. Kudos to the Editor as well. I hate it when an author over does it; but Blake writes in such a way that I ate it all up. No, she’s grabs you by the eyelashes and forces you to see every little bit.

The character development was done well for the main character and supporting cast – though I wish there were more for Anna. I think the romance element could have been delved into a bit deeper. The latter half of the book went by so fast that I had some issues keeping straight just how much time had passed. So much so that when I finished I was already contemplating reading it over again. Though this is considered horror, I liked the open ending for the reason that it gave me that feeling like maybe there could be a “happy” ending to come. My favorite thing about this book was that it was serious yet still had plenty of humor. These moments helped keep the book from sinking into creep you out, horror.

Odd Thoughts while reading: The name Carmel kept making me want to eat a Twix, I had the urge to fill a mason jar with salt then stick it on my windowsill and I wondered what dried chicken feet looked like. Oh yes, and I felt like watching Hocus Pocus. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
From the first chapter, I was totally hooked. What a brilliant concept, a teenage ghost-killer, for a YA novel, or any novel for that matter. I really enjoyed the story especially the first half of the novel. However, by the time I got the end, my enthusiasm had waned a bit. It became almost too unrealistic, even for a supernatural story. Also, I think the romantic aspects were not quite…enthusiastic enough for my tastes. A good read overall, not scary (except for the first chapter) but graphic and well written. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
I gotta say that I don't read much young adult horror. A lot of times, things drag on and on for me and I lose interest really quickly. However, at the encouragement of the librarian, I checked this one out. And I have to admit that wow! I loved it! I mean really. The cover alone is gorgeous but it's what's between the covers that pulled me in.

My son and I love to watch Ghost Hunters, and basically anything ghost-y on TV. So, it was definitely interesting to read about Cas......a ghost killer. On the trails of the ghost that kills his father, he finds Anna Korlov. Wowza! What a ghost! She's the girl dressed in blood and terrorizes the town she lives in. She kills. But, when she crosses paths with Cas, the interesting twists begin.

This is definitely not your average ghost story! It's so much better! I definitely recommend this novel with high flying 5 stars and can't wait to read the next Anna book, Girl Of Nightmares! Great, fantastic job, Ms. Blake! ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Apr 16, 2014 |
This book is about a teen boy who is a ghost hunter and killer. When he travels to kill the infamous Anna Dressed in Blood, he gets more than he bargained for. I really enjoyed this book. It was a different read, I expected the book to be trait and it wasn't. The plot took unexpected twists. I loved the main character Cas, he was serious and funny. I recommend it. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Apr 8, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible