Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2011)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

Member:Mumugrrl
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:ghosts, witches, young adult, ghost hunter, canada

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

What a creepy little book. Me likes. Truth be told, I've always had a fascination with ghosts and the paranormal, so this was right up my alley.

I particularly enjoyed that it was a male POV. In the genres that I frequently read, women rule, so this was a nice change. There was a lot less nonsense than usual. It's not that Blake is perpetuating a male stereotype, but rather that so many other authors perpetuate stereotypes about women. I like my MC's no-nonsense, regardless of gender.

A couple of times, I thought I had the book figured out and I felt a little resentment. I nearly posted a status commenting on a popular "plot ploy" that mediocre authors love to lean on, but I'm so glad I didn't, as I woulda had to eat my words. I didn't have jackshit figured out and Blake successfully threw me for a loop. It's an interesting premise with interesting characters and a solid plot. All good things.

If I had to mention a negative, it'd be the whole "Cas loves Anna" thing. Love? Really? I get that a couple of months supposedly went by, but it didn't feel like it for me. The few interactions between them involved a lot of scary shit and Anna threatening Cas. I can understand a sense of attraction and/or curiosity that could lead to more, but at no point was there enough relationship development as to merit the word "love" being tossed around. Lost some credibility and 1 star there.

As I mentioned, the book is creepy. Gory, too, so you're forewarned. I read in the dark and even I, self-proclaimed Ghost Connoisseur, had a few moments of "What was that noise?" and glancing around room in anticipation of imminent death. A couple of times I even saw a specter. It was a little smelly and wolf-like, except for its small stature and ever-wagging tail... I dunno if it was Death, but its breath was..

Anywho, thumbs up for this book. I would have read it pretty quickly were it not for the fact that I was vacationing. Extra points awarded for always staying in the back of my mind and beckoning me to pick it up, despite having other fun, vaca stuff to do. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
In the beginning of this book the author introduce the main male character by describing his job. He created the scene of the main character trying to kill a hitchhiker's ghost. This introduction is fantastic because it grabs the reader's attention and create a powerful background of Cas. The author introduce the female main character by sending her name written in blood on a piece of scratch paper to Cas asking to kill the ghost. This makes the reader feel creepy and build a anticipation for the appearance of Anna.

Once Cas got in town he meet Thomas a shy boy who got bullied in school by the popular jocks and he could read people's mind. Cas originally dislike Thomas because he thinks it make him more vulnerable when Thomas could hear his mind. However Cas grew to like Thomas after he saved him and they became best friends over time. Cas value this friendship over everything because Thomas is his first real friend since he always stay away from people. Cas hates to grew attach to a place, person or a thing since he know that he is going to chase after another ghost right after he kill this ghost.

Carmel is the queen bee of the north thorm high school. Unlike any other queen bee she know that people only talk to her and befriend her to get more popularly. When Cas first come to school she know exactly why he followed her around but she play along because she think that he is very interesting. Later in the book Carmel discover that she is stronger than she think and even though she said she will stay out of trouble she will always go in to save her friends.

Anna was killed when she was only a teenager she got her head decapitated and blood was spilled all across her white dress. Ever since then she wear her bloody white dress and she would brutally kill anyone who dares to walk into her front door. When Cas first walked into her front door she spared his life for some unknown reason even thought she could take his life in one blow. Cas was surprised by Anna's naiveness and her look of innocent so he decided to find out more about Anna. Later in the stories Cas, Thomas, and Carmel find out the reason Anna is bounded to the house and why she seems to have two personality, one innocent teenager and one horrifying murderer.

Although this book absolutely no literary masterpiece but it is certainly is a page turner. It grabs the reader's attention in the beginning and won't let go until the end. I constantly have nightmares several nights after I read the book it is absolutely a great Halloween reads. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants a good ghost story. ( )
  jennywulove | Jul 28, 2014 |
Amazingly, I managed to go into Anna Dressed in Blood knowing nothing whatsoever about the book, despite its immense popularity with my friends. All I knew was that it was a horror novel, but not even anything more than that. Oh, and that this series has badass covers. It’s so rare to get to read such a hyped book knowing nothing and I treasured the experience. Kendare Blake does horror and plot well. Anna Dressed in Blood isn’t the scariest thing I’ve ever read, but it did make me shudder at times.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jul 10, 2014 |
O, How I must gush forth my love of this book like big arterial vein spurts of hot red blood! Too melodramatic? So I liked it a lot cut me a little….slack.

Blake’s writing style drew me in immediately from page one – with our first ghost, a sweet yet vengeful hitchhiker. We learn that the ghosts Cas spends his time dispatching are more often than not the unfortunate victims of horrible murders. Knowing they were the victims in life makes you want to sympathize with them. There is some excellent skills here in the descriptive writing department that I feel give you just enough without being too much. Kudos to the Editor as well. I hate it when an author over does it; but Blake writes in such a way that I ate it all up. No, she’s grabs you by the eyelashes and forces you to see every little bit.

The character development was done well for the main character and supporting cast – though I wish there were more for Anna. I think the romance element could have been delved into a bit deeper. The latter half of the book went by so fast that I had some issues keeping straight just how much time had passed. So much so that when I finished I was already contemplating reading it over again. Though this is considered horror, I liked the open ending for the reason that it gave me that feeling like maybe there could be a “happy” ending to come. My favorite thing about this book was that it was serious yet still had plenty of humor. These moments helped keep the book from sinking into creep you out, horror.

Odd Thoughts while reading: The name Carmel kept making me want to eat a Twix, I had the urge to fill a mason jar with salt then stick it on my windowsill and I wondered what dried chicken feet looked like. Oh yes, and I felt like watching Hocus Pocus. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
From the first chapter, I was totally hooked. What a brilliant concept, a teenage ghost-killer, for a YA novel, or any novel for that matter. I really enjoyed the story especially the first half of the novel. However, by the time I got the end, my enthusiasm had waned a bit. It became almost too unrealistic, even for a supernatural story. Also, I think the romantic aspects were not quite…enthusiastic enough for my tastes. A good read overall, not scary (except for the first chapter) but graphic and well written. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible