Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake

Series: Anna (1)

1,3461965,730 (3.91)58
Member:AaIshah
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood
Authors:Kendare Blake
Info:Tor Teen (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

This was surprisingly good. I honestly only picked it up because it had a cool title, but I stuck with it because the story was well-done.

(And the type was maroon, which was also cool.) ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Scary and romantic ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This was a nice little surprise. I was expecting a typical young adult novel, but got so much more. There were some very creepy parts in the book, which I did not expect but thoroughly enjoyed. The author really sucked me into the story. I am ready for book 2. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This was quite a suspenseful and creepy ghost story, but I didn't feel Cas's pain - either physically or emotionally. I just felt the resolution was too easy and I didn't feel that the characters were strong enough to give me a picture in my mind. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Oh yes, this was a pretty scary one, especially when I was reading it at 2am and had to go to the kitchen for a snack break. I turned on all the lights on my way there. Hheee.

Anna Dressed in Blood had magic, dark magic mostly I should say, voodoo, and obeah. Obeah? Color me surprised, never in my life have I read anything about Obeah. You see, I was born in the Caribbean, and I grew up hearing about Obeah, Obeahmen and Obeahwomen. I couldn't believe it, would never have expected to find such a familiar dark topic in a paranormal book. I actually laughed and had to do a double take when I saw the word. It's not something I would want to reminisce about but it brought back some memories. I was pretty young when I would hear stories about the dark craft growing up. I would hear some pretty scary stories and was also told that it only affects you if you believe in it. There was some contradiction to that advice, because I can remember some poor soul having a difficult time in their life and my Grandmother saying that someone put Obeah on them.

Okay, I should get back to the story. Haven't read much ghost stories and this is the best one I've read so far. I think it could also be described as an horror story as well as a story of friendship and living. After Cas' father died on a de-ghosting case, it was left up to him to continue the legacy of ridding the world of the evil feinds. All Cas knows is ghosts and more ghost, he's been a loner his entire life and wishes to keep it that way, he doesn't want to be responsible for the lives of others and he doesn't know how to be with the living anyway. When he was sent a tip about a ghost who needs vanquishing (Cas wouldn't like that term it being a ghostbuster one, lol) called Anna Dressed in Blood he can feel that this one is going to be different.

Everything on this job was different for Cas, first his barrier of not letting anyone in was broken through by new friends Thomas and Carmel. Inexperienced at ghost hunting but brave enough to fight side by side with Cas. And second, Cas doesn't hesitate to send the ghost he's hunting to wherever it belongs, but Anna was a different story. He can't find it in himself to send her away. Anyone who dares enters Anna's domain doesn't leave with their life, but when Cas unwittingly finds himself in her house unprepared, instead of ripping him to shreds she allows him to leave. Let's not forget the Obeahman. The Obeahman's existence brings up questions for Cas, mostly about his Athame. The same Athame his father and ancestors used to re-kill ghosts and send them away. Where do the ghosts actually go? Is the Athame good or bad?

Cas has never been in love, or was never drawn to a human girl. I think it was unfortunate that he was born into such a destiny and to be thrown into to it at such a young age. All Cas knows is ghosts, so no wonder the first time he feels drawn to a girl she turns out to be a ghosts. Anna and Cas's affection towards each other was a little strange for me but I accepted that his mostly secluded life from the living made it inevitable.

Cool and creepy story, really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see where it goes. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.… (more)

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,784,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible