Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

Fuzzy Nation (edition 2012)

by John Scalzi

Member:JudithProctor
Title:Fuzzy Nation
Authors:John Scalzi
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, SF, owned, alien

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

Fuzzy Nation is an enjoyable, often hilarious, quick read. Following Jack Halloway, a surveyor searching for natural resources on a distant planet, the novel begins as Jack has his dog detonate explosives along a cliff, finding the largest sunstone seam discovered on the planet to date. As well as dealing with irritating company officials, company thugs, and his ex-- a biologist on planet, Jack’s home has become home to ‘fuzzys’, a new species that he has discovered… or rather, that have discovered him. The family of small, cat-like creatures are remarkably intelligent (Papa fuzzy succeeds in wandering into the kitchen and making sandwiches after watching Jack do the same once before), and may in fact be sentient life-- a fact that the company will do anything to prevent being discovered, as it would halt planetary exploitation. Jack is a fun protagonist. He clearly has bags full of issues and is not always a nice person, his motives are murky to say the least and it is impossible for the reader to know what he will do next (let alone anyone around him). At the same time, he truly cares for (and anthropomorphizes) his dog Carl, he genuinely likes the Fuzzies, and despite the fact that he is working hundreds of miles from civilization, he is incredibly smart (having previously worked as a lawyer in one of the largest corporations and on both remarkable and controversial cases).

A genuinely fun, somewhat heart-warming, fast read. I highly recommend this to fans of science fiction. In some ways this is the most basic premise of the movie Avatar (company on foreign planet getting materials) but done very well. ( )
  Ailinel | May 2, 2015 |
Jack Holloway is a contractor with the large company which exploits other planets for their resources, so long as the planet is unoccupied by a sentient species.

One day Jack returns to his cabin only to find a cute fuzzy critter visiting. After a few days, cute fuzzy critters brings his family to hang out.

Now the question becomes whether the Fuzzies are sentient or merely smart animals. The reader has Jack's dog Carl to compare and contrast.

Of course, the corporation will brook no shenanigans in its endeavor to strip the planet and and become even richer. But they are outmaneuvered by both Holloway and the Fuzzies.

Written with his usual charming snark, Scalzi writes an adventure story featuring angry lawyers, angry CEO's, helpful lawyers, and cute fuzzy creatures (including Carl) while taking down greed, bureaucracy and stupidity. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jan 24, 2015 |
the bad "good-guy" in great form. Good world development - good character development (maybe some personal development). Good pacing - good dramatic presentation
overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 2, 2015 |
2014-11-12/48%: Was enjoying this and then... wasn't. I think I'm disliking the involvement of the evil pseudo-CEO. There was happy stuff and now we're about to have unhappy stuff and I don't want to read the unhappy stuff. I also think I've burnt out on reading at the moment which is why I've been flailing around looking for something enjoyable to read.

2014-11-15/100%: Woohoo! I finished a book! Scalzi's stuff is generally light enough that they don't bog down too much. This was a very well done homage/update of Little Fuzzy. The original, which I re-read in January, feels a bit dated and has very Heinleinesque libertarian overtones what with the macho men all wearing guns and what not. I didn't remember that from reading it in high school but then I'd have enjoyed that sort of thing back then, you know, before I grew up. Back to Fuzzy Nation though; I think Scalzi may be the only writer whose book I might be able to identify blind. That is, if I didn't know he was author I'd figure it out while reading. Maybe it's because I read his blog but most of his books definitely have a certain voice. It wasn't very heavy in Fuzzy Nation but I noticed it at least once. The story was good though I was hoping Carl was going blow up the skimmer with Aubrey and DeLise at the end.

Speaking of Aubrey and DeLise; I understand DeLise, he's weak and insecure and has bought into bullshit machismo about being a "man" so he's a bully in order to make himself feel better. I don't get men like Aubrey. They have a ton of cash (and it's attendant power) but they still want more. They never do anything with it, they just accumulate it so their lives are basically meaningless. I'm sure that's not the story they tell themselves but maybe what I don't understand is what they are telling themselves. How do they justify all the damage they do to accumulate money when they've already got much more than they need? Anybody got a rich dude I can psychoanalyze?

This was an interesting review of Fuzzy Nation. I agree that the change to Holloway made it necessary to make Aubrey/DeLise more evil and that probably hurt the story rather than helped it. I think I'd rather have two morally ambiguous characters face off as it would be much more interesting. They might end making a deal or, each motivated by different things, they might not. Either way I think it would more interesting than having one side be a one dimensional stand-in instead of a character. ( )
  Awfki | Nov 16, 2014 |
Fast-paced and fun -- a rollicking good read. ( )
  vnesting | Oct 26, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

Jack Holloway set the simmer to HOVER, swiveled his seat around, and looked at Carl.

Jack Holloway, prospecting on Zara XXIII for ZaraCorp, finds an immensely valuable stream of sunstone. But when he forwards footage of the planet's catlike, native "fuzzies" to a biologist friend --who believes the "fuzzies" are sentient--hired company thugs, murder, and arson soon follow to protect ZaraCorp's mining interests.… (more)

122 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible