The Linen Queen by Patricia Falvey

The Linen Queen (edition 2011)

by Patricia Falvey

Member:jo-jo
Title:The Linen Queen
Authors:Patricia Falvey
Info:Doubleday (2011), Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

The Linen Queen: A Novel by Patricia Falvey

After reading The Yellow House, I had no desire to read any more from Patricia Falvey. However, I'd already accepted the opportunity to review The Linen Queen and so I went ahead hoping for some improvement. While I liked it better than The Yellow House, I didn't like it very much.

The political history of Northern Ireland is interesting, but sad. It can be fascinating instead of depressing though. The Linen Queen is depressing. The characters aren't likeable. Sheila is annoying, the other characters are caricatures and shallow. Mildly compelling but ultimately disappointing. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Loved this book! Felt as if I was living the story as Sheila herself! Her previous book, The Yellow House,was just as engaging. ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
I have read many books about WWII but none that ever gave the Irish perspective. Sheila is awarded the title of Linen Queen and the prize money. This is her opportunity to flee her poor and miserable existence. But, Belfast is bombed and the American Soldiers come to her village.

It wasn’t the best book I ever read but it was interesting. One knows what to expect but is happy about reading on in spite of it. The story is fairly predictable but the writer has a way of engaging the reader.
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
I agree with a prior poster that this book did drag a bit for me; Sheila is not an entirely likeable person, although I am not sure if she is meant to be. It is interesting to hear about the role of the Linen Queen itself, but aside from that, there is nothing really new here in terms of WWII historical fiction set in Ireland. There is also nothing new in terms of plotlines regarding helpless females relying on men and such. ( )
  amandacb | Aug 24, 2013 |

Abandoned by her father and neglected by her self-centered, unstable mother, Sheila McGee cannot wait to escape the drudgery of her mill village life in Northern Ireland. Her classic Irish beauty helps her win the 1941 Linen Queen competition, and the prize money that goes with it finally gives her the opportunity she's been dreaming of. But Sheila does not count on the impact of the Belfast blitz which brings World War II to her doorstep. Now even her good looks are useless in the face of travel restrictions. When American troops set up base in her village, some see them as occupiers but Sheila sees them as saviors--one of them may be her ticket out.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,253,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible