Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

Main Street (edition 1989)

by Sinclair Lewis

Member:jillmwo
Title:Main Street
Authors:Sinclair Lewis
Info:San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, [1989], c1948. v, 486 p. ; 22 cm.
Tags:fiction,

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

This is a well written story of life in a simpler time,but not simple life! A good,digestable read. A good choice if you never read Lewis before. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
'That's what I'll do after college! I'll get my hands on one of these prairie towns and make it beautiful.'
By sally tarbox on 27 April 2013
Format: Paperback
When idealistic young graduate Carol Milford - disenchanted with her career in a city library - consents to marry Dr Kennicott and move out to the small town of Gopher Prairie, she imagines she will be able to use her taste and education to 'improve' her dull and unattractive new home. Lobbying for better buildings; starting a drama group; mixing with the lower classes... But people don't always want to be patronised and improved; indeed many (including the Doctor) are perfectly content with life as it is.
The reader increasingly feels Carol 'champing at the bit' in her provincial home:
'Gopher Prairie with its celebrated eleven miles of cement walk...I wonder how much of the cement is made out of the tombstones of John Keatses?'
Whether Carol can accept smalltown life for what it is or continues to fight against it made for a highly readable novel. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
Main Street is the Lake Wobegon Garrison Keilor writes about minus the humor that masks the sarcasm. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I know it's a classic and everything, and I love the classics, but man, oh man... I couldn't even get the used bookstore to take it - they already had several dust-covered copies. I'm sorry Mr. Lewis (R.I.P.), this was the first book of yours I ever read and I'm thinking it is the last as well.

Garrison0550 | May 10, 2016 |
Makes me think of the lyric:

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's probably where they'll bury me
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Ninety years after publication, Sinclair Lewis’s Main Street still resonates with readers ... The book became an immediate sensation. Biographer Mark Schorer called its publication “the most sensational event in twentieth-century American publishing history.” ... Lewis found a way to appeal to both those who were nostalgic for small town America and those who were dissatisfied with it.

ToJames Branch CabellandJoseph Hergesheimer
Chapter 1: On a hill by the Mississippi where Chippewas camped two generations ago, a girl stood in relief against the cornflower blue of Northern sky.
She had her freedom, and it was empty.
Not a matter of heroism. Matter of endurance...There's one attack you can make on it, perhaps the only kind that accomplishes anything anywhere; you can keep on looking at one thing after another in your home and church and bank, and ask why it is, and who first laid down the law that it had to be that way. If enough of us do this impolitely enough, then we'll become civilized in merely twenty thousand years or so, instead of having to wait the two hundred thousand years that my cynical anthropologist friends allow...easy, pleasant, lucrative home-work for wives: asking people to define their jobs. That's the most dangerous doctrine I know!
The tragedy of old age, which is not that it is less vigorous than youth, but that it is not needed by youth; that its love and prosy sageness, so important a few years ago, so gladly offered now, are rejected with laughter.
Main Street was written by Sinclair Lewis, not Upton Sinclair, so you might want to correct the author on your book page.  Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451526821, Mass Market Paperback)

"Main Street" tells the tale of a big-city girl who marries a physician and settles in a small town in the Midwest, only to fall victim to the narrow-mindedness and unimaginative natures of the town's residents. Introduction by Thomas Mallon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

A young woman has difficulty adjusting to life in a small town in Minnesota.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,102,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible