Summer and the City: A Carrie Diaries Novel…

Summer and the City: A Carrie Diaries Novel (edition 2011)

by Candace Bushnell

Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, chick lit, television, New York City

Summer and the City: A Carrie Diaries Novel by Candace Bushnell

A fun summer read.

I read the first few pages one day, then read the rest of the book one afternoon. Picking up shortly where the first book left off, Carrie has arrived in New York and is heading off to her first party with Samantha.

As a Sex and the City fan it was a lot of fun seeing how the girls all come together and how different they are as teens from the icons they grow into. Samantha didn't disappoint, it was interesting to see her earlier years in a way I didn't really expect. Though I have to admit when Miranda first appeared she annoyed the hell out of me. She did grow on me more as the story developed. Carrie was pretty much just Carrie pretty much unchanged from the first book. Would have liked to see more of young Charlotte and how she came to fit into newly formed group of growing friendships.

She did grow up quite a lot throughout, and I had the idea she had a set plan on how everything in New York would work out, but nothing of course went as it was planned. People she knew from her home town made appearances and things changed in unexpected ways.

I loved the sense of New York in the book, so easy to picture, a real sense of place making you feel like you were really there. Nothing particularly dramatic or remarkable really seemed to happen plot wise. It was just a fun, enjoyable read. Perfect for an afternoon escape.

Also crosses off a square for my Summer Bingo reading challenge - A pink cover ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |
In this sequel to The Carrie Diaries, right after Carrie Bradshaw graduates high school (sometime in the early 1980s) and before she is expected to attend Brown University, she spends her first summer in New York City taking a writing course. Carrie encounters several minefields along the way, including a romance with a playwright 15 years her senior. She also encounters some gems as well: her first new friend Samantha Jones helps Carrie get out of several scrapes. Plus she also finds another good friend in Miranda Hobbes. Where's Charlotte? Carrie meets her at the very end of this book, hopefully making way for another installment. Enjoyable book especially if you are a Sex and the City fan: I was able to picture Carrie, Samantha, and Miranda just like on TV, only about 20 years earlier. Just like on the TV show, plenty of explicit scenes and innuendo, as well as drugs and booze. ( )
  WickedWoWestwood | Feb 20, 2014 |
I loved the TV series (much to the disbelief and horror of everyone I know), and was therefore disappointed with the first 'Sex and the City' book which the series was very loosely based on. The novel lacked the charm and humour of the programmes. I do think Bushnell however is improving with each novel, spot-on with the nuances of social interaction and satirically nailing the narrow strand of society she writes about.

In Summer and the City it appeared she had absorbed the characters from the TV series, and therefore gave a very believable and entertaining prequel, and left me wanting to read more. ( )
  LARA335 | Aug 15, 2012 |
You can also read my review here: http://bookbybookreview.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-summer-and-city.html

Again, I'll start by saying that I am an admitted Sex and the City virgin and have never watched a single episode, so what may be old news for some, was new for me!

Book two of this series was MUCH more enjoyable than the first. I felt like I was reading about 'grown-ups' rather than kids and that was much nicer... appealing to my adult self.

Carrie Bradshaw's Sex and the City character came to life in this book. I could actually see Sarah Jessica Parker playing her and started to realize why I haven't fallen head over heels in love with the show. She is an annoying person. Her constant need for reassurance, her over-inflated ego, and her horrible sense of style all irritated me throughout this book. Even though my love for Carrie didn't come full-bloom, I really did enjoy the story.

One of the parts of the story that I enjoyed, while finding extremely unbelievable, was Carrie's rise-to-fame. How awesome would it be to venture to the 'Big City' and become an instant 'in' at every big industry party; Falling in love with a play-write and having him return your affections; Meeting a famous literary agent who actually likes your work. If I had known that it would be THAT easy, I would have made the trip to the city a LOOOOOONG time ago.

Character development is definitely a strong suit for Candace Bushnell. It was fun to follow the beginnings of Samantha Jones and Miranda Hobbes... and eventually, I imagine Charlotte. Through her words, a 'posse' is born.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book. I would definitely read the follow up story, but am still undecided on whether I will ever really watch the series. Who knows, there may be a rainy day when I don't have a book on hand - ya, right - and I might JUST flip on an episode... MIGHT! ( )
  LindsayGentles | Dec 7, 2011 |
Summer and the City: A Carrie Diaries Novel is the sequel to 2010’s The Carrie Diaries, and a prequel to the beloved Sex and the City television series; as such, it has a large built-in fan base, and will likely be in demand by female library patrons ages 15 and up. Covering the summer after Carrie Bradshaw’s senior year in high school, the book traces Carrie’s evolution from a small-town “sparrow” to a near-native “pigeon” as she falls for an older man, acquaints herself with New York’s glitterati, and loses her virginity—all while she gets to know Miranda and Samantha, who will go on to be her lifelong friends. Carrie’s new sense of self-worth quickly blossoms into an intolerable level of ego, but just as readers begin to find her annoying, her friends begin to point it out as well, leading to some hope that she’ll redeem herself in later books. The story is set in the 1980’s, and is faithful to the details of that period; Carrie spends a lot of time waiting by the phone, making calls from pay phones, and dialing her crush every 30 minutes until he picks up—none of which will be familiar to readers who grew up with cell phones and caller ID, but which will elicit a rueful chuckle of recognition from older readers. Although there is quite a bit of sexual activity in the book, none of it is explicit, and on the whole this text is far less racy than other books written for a similar demographic. Recommended. ( )
  alexanan | Oct 30, 2011 |

Showcase
Barnes & Noble brings you peeks behind the scenes, personal essays, and short stories from bestselling and award-winning authors.

For millions of devoted watchers, it was a show that chronicled the quintessential New York: glamorous, entertaining, and, of course, always sexy. In this exclusive piece for Barnes & Noble readers, Sex and the City creator Candace Bushnell tells the story of that first glorious summer when she arrived in New York City - nineteen years old, determined to be a writer, and ready for anything.
(from B&N website)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061728934, Hardcover)

Product Description
Summer is a magical time in New York City and Carrie is in love with all of it—the crazy characters in her neighborhood, the vintage-clothing boutiques, the wild parties, and the glamorous man who has swept her off her feet. Best of all, she's finally in a real writing class, taking her first steps toward fulfilling her dream.

This sequel to The Carrie Diaries brings surprising revelations as Carrie learns to navigate her way around the Big Apple, going from being a country "sparrow"—as Samantha Jones dubs her—to the person she always wanted to be. But as it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile her past with her future, Carrie realizes that making it in New York is much more complicated than she ever imagined.

With her signature wit and sparkling humor, Candace Bushnell reveals the irresistible story of how Carrie met Samantha and Miranda, and what turned a small-town girl into one of New York City's most unforgettable icons, Carrie Bradshaw.

Carrie Bradshaw's 1980s Playlist

In honor of the publication of Summer and the City, author Candace Bushnell shares the tunes that Carrie skipped around town to in this exclusive playlist.

A Look Inside Summer and the City
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

Carrie Bradshaw’s Guide to the Real New York City. The Rules according to Miranda Hobbs. Samantha Jones’s Top Ten Tips for City Girls.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:17 -0400)

Brings surprising revelations as Carrie learns to navigate her way around Big Apple, going from being a country "sparrow" to the person she always wanted to be.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,355,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible