Bridge in the rain by Bianca Lakoseljac

Collections:E-book, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:stories, Netgalley

Bridge in the Rain (Prose Series) by Bianca Lakoseljac

Bianca Lakoseljac has written one of the best collections of short stories I have read in a long time. Each story has different characters and different settings yet all are connected through love of paintings andor an inscription on a park bench.
The forward starts it all when the writer meets Gordon "Gordie" Munro on a park bench and he asks her if she has noticed the inscription dedicated to Claire. This starts a friendship as both parties discuss their lives, past and present.
"The Legend of the Cherry Blossom Fairy" begins this collection of six as a writer must catch the sight of a fairy in a painting by Jimmy MacDonald. If she sees it and makes a wish it will be granted. In most of the stories someone has a certain shade of blue which corresponds to the picture they gravitate toward. In "The Legend..." Gladys has china blue eyes which makes the reader think of foreign places. This is where the writer finds herself.
Every story has vivid imagery and, sometimes, shocking endings coupled with true-to-life characters. "The Perfect Woman" has a blow-up doll as a major, though mute, personality who makes you laugh while you're crying for the people. The title story, "Bridge in the Rain" not only brings to life Vincent van Gogh's bedroom painting but creates slightly quirky misfits bound for disaster. "Heads or Tails" is also a sad story but this one gives the reader hope...maybe.
"Years of Silence" and "Night Walk" refer back to Claire in the beginning and the hints throughout this book and demonstrates the bittersweet cohesive talent of this wonderful author. I will definitely look for more by this writer and urge everyone who wants meaningful, complete characters come to life right out of the book into your favorite painting, and, more importantly, your memory. ( )
  elliezann | Feb 3, 2011 |
This book is a collection of short stories, losely connected by a bench in a park somewhere in Toronto. All the main characters have memories about it or get live inspiration.

The stories are short and a little depressing. All the women, all the main characters are women, are at a difficult time in their live. Does this relation hold? Should I finally visit my old friend? To move or not to move?

The stories read easily and are written well and are all totally different. That makes it an interesting book to read, but not necessarily totally my taste. I enjoyed the book, but that's it. ( )
  boekenwijs | Jan 11, 2011 |
I made this choice from my good friends at NetGalley, not realizing it was a series of short pieces. However, the collection contains well over its share of striking and memorable characters in the throes of epochal moments. Such is the stuff of fine short fiction.

Ms. Lakoseljac presents in the title piece a man who in the present day lets his jealousy of the relationship between his wife and Vincent van Gogh lead to cruel negligence and disastrous – life and death – consequences. “The Perfect Woman” follows the marriage-ruining self-absorption of a woman who learns through fantasy and brinksmanship that she may not measure up to the perfections of an inflatable doll. Is the doll real? The efficacy of this question leaves us in no doubt of the author’s haunting strength. “Years of Silence” chronicles the sad and, again, self-absorbed, saga of two friends who have been out of touch for years. The stirring and captivating use of the long letter from long ago ranks as one of the finest effects in this collection. In “Heads or Tails” Ms. Lakoseljac reduces the stay-married-or-not issue to the flip of a coin. Very nearly.

Just as certain themes and personality traits dominate the majority of these pieces, I think it no mistake that the author leads off and finishes with uplifting, hopeful stories, and even presents a foreword that establishes the recurring talisman: a park bench in Toronto. We read through a confusing, unsettling fairy tale after the foreword, and it reinforces the writer’s mission, although for me, it isn’t needed. It seems a true, if charming, piece of self-absorption for the author herself. However, “Night Walk” portrays a true-feeling change of heart in a young woman who opts to stay with a position she loves in a children’s library, rather than take the grand opportunity in an adults-only office in another city.

It’s been some years since I devoted any energy to short fiction. These pieces, though, have refreshed me in this area; they are consistently excellent. We witness the doubting, troubled internal dialogues of people at crossroads or crises. Seldom do characters behave in any sympathetic way, and if we’re lucky, we might get a hint of some trouble that led the character to do what he or she does. For those who enjoy short stories, these belong in the very first rank. Trust me.

I was a little befuddled as to how to rate these pieces. On the whole there is somewhat of a sameness to the characters, but individually, the pieces shine. They're clear, direct pieces, and very enjoyable.

http://bassoprofundo1.blogspot.com/2010/11/bridge-in-rain-by-bianca-lakoseljac.h... ( )
  LukeS | Nov 30, 2010 |

Bianca Lakoseljac is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,654,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible