Senseless by Mary Burton

couldn't get past the first few pages because of the animal cruelty ( )
  magentaflake | Aug 1, 2012 |
From the back cover:

"The vicious burns scarring the victims' flesh reveal the agony of their last moments. Each woman was branded with a star, then stabbed through the heart. With every death, a vengeful killer finds a brief, blissful moment of calm. But soon it's time for the bloodshed to start again..."

My Thoughts:

I'm always looking for a good thriller and Senseless didn't disappoint. This book was a page turner from the very beginning as the story starts with a brutal killing and then shortly after a fire and body. And with all of that I was instantly caught up within the story (I'm trying not to think about what that says about me...lol). The story is told from multiple viewpoints which can be a tricky thing at times but it worked for this book. There were a lot of characters to keep track of which was a bit confusing at first but once I had that squared away I was immersed within the book and its' storyline. Eva was one of the main characters and I really liked her. She had a dark past that she was trying to turn around from but it made her character more realistic and likeable for me. I understood the bitterness that was there at times and liked that the author didn't make everything easy for her. The mystery part of this book was well done and I didn't figure out who the killer was until the author wanted me to. And then it all made sense but I wouldn't have guessed it on my own. There was a little bit of romance thrown into the book but I felt that it only added to the storyline. This book was an enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to picking up the next book Merciless sometime soon! ( )
  samantha.1020 | Mar 13, 2011 |
From my book review blog Rundpinne..."Senseless is a wonderfully crafted and delightfully clever suspense novel with well-developed characters and a plot that is pieced together as one might piece a puzzle together."'....My full review may be read here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/01/book-review-senseless-by-mary-burton.html ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 18, 2011 |
I was pleased with this. It’s labeled as a romantic suspense, but the romance happens fairly late in the book. That being said, I think it made it more believable, because we get the time to know Eva and Garrison and root for them to get together. Burton gives us a plot that’s thorough without being overly complicated. She’s also able to make us wonder about the true motives of almost every character, even those that should be solidly on the good side of things. I actually was unable to guess the true culprit, and that’s a rarity for me. The only thing missing is a good sense of the setting. We know it’s in Alexandria, since a great deal is made of it, but I can’t say that I learned anything about Alexandria. It really could have happened anywhere. But overall, if you enjoy suspense this is a great read. ( )
  miyurose | Jan 2, 2011 |
The fourth of Mary Burton's books I've read, this is among her best. As always, the characters pulled me right alongside the subplot and the tense opening scenes. DISCLOSURE: I'm fortunate to work with Mary on some of her titles and so I'm possibly a bit biased. BUT I do know how much I enjoyed SENSELESS and the soon to be published MERCILESS and I hope other fans of romantic suspense and crime fiction will as well.
  jschulhafer | Dec 23, 2010 |
none
Prologue:
Saturday, April 1, Midnight

Duct tape muffled the woman's hoarse moans as a hooded figure stoked the glowing embers in the basement hearth.

Mary Burton's characters in SENSELESS include Detectives Deacon Garrison and Malcolm Kier, convicted felon Eva Rayburn, and her half-sister Angie Carlson, a high-profile, high-priced criminal attorney. They are a among the connections between SENSELESS and MERCILESS, which is published the next montn Also in both stories is King's, a no-nonsense neighborhood bar, that Eva calls home. As always, Burton's careful use of forensic detail is evident in each book, a result of her commitment to remain current with the science, as well as with law enforcement evidence collection procedures.

In SENSELESS, Eva Rayburn has cobbled together a living of sorts as a part-time waitress and bartender, process server, and night attendant at a homeless shelter. It is the latter that brings her to the attention of homicide detective Deacon Garrison when an explosion and fire destroy Hannah's House. Though everyone escapes the fire, the body of a woman who has been tortured and murdered is discovered in the yard. She has been branded. Four-pointed stars encircle her navel. That's what brings crime journalist Connor Donovan into the picture. An anonymous tip alerts him to the branding and the fire. Both are hallmarks of the Sorority House Murder, the case he covered a decade ago that put him on the journalistic map.

The killing and the subsequent fire ended Eva's life as she knew it. Josiah Cross had raped her, and she remembered struggling, but after that had no clear memory of what happened. Eva, portrayed as a heart-sick scholarship student who became enraged when her rich boyfriend broke up with her, was charged, convicted, and sentenced to ten years in prison. The single star burned into her shoulder is a memento of those lost hours. Thanks to Connor, Eva is back in the media spotlight, her life an open book. Meanwhile, Garrison is certain she has something to do with murder at the shelter.

As the killer's confidence grows, another death occurs. Garrison wants answers. He's determined to find the connection the victims share with a dead rich-kid-rapist and the girl convicted of killing him. Eva wants answers, too. She wants to remember every second of that fateful day. It's been ten years and now-finally-she's ready to fight for herself-even if it means dying.

Eva Rayburn, who is tormented by a tragic event in her past, tries to start over in her Virginia hometown, but people start being murdered, and every victim is linked to her and what happened ten years earlier at a sorority party.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,392,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible