Torn by Amanda Hocking

English (39)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
Not as good as the first in the trilogy, but very enjoyable all the same. ( )
  Urthwild | Nov 29, 2014 |
The second book in the Trylle Trilogy picks up right after the first leaves off, with Wendy and Rhys escaped from the Trylle palace in Forening and staying with Matt, Wendy's sort-of foster brother and Rhys's actual brother. But changeling Wendy isn't safe, as she's soon attacked and taken prisoner by a warring faction, the Vittra. What exactly do they want with her?

Though this book wasn't quite as action-packed as the first one, we start to learn more of the Trylle - trolls who practice leaving changelings with rich humans, of which Wendy is a Princess - and the Vittra, and if not why they're at war in the first place at least what their recent history has been. Wendy finds herself making tough choices that could impact the rest of her life and the troll peoples well into the future. ( )
  bell7 | Sep 28, 2014 |
Torn begins as Switched finishes. This is an apt title for this book, as it is all about Wendy being torn between the people she loves and her destiny. She struggles to decide what the right choices are, knowing that the wrong choice could destroy her world... both of her worlds.

She is conflicted, unsure of what she should believe and who she should trust in her new world. She is overwhelmed and confused and doesn't really understand what is happening around her. That drove me nuts. For most of the book, various people are pulling at her in different directions, telling her what she should be doing without telling her why. There are so many things going on under the radar in the kingdom, but no one will explain anything to her and she tends to rebel. Elora and Aurora continue to snark at her, trying to mold her into something, someone she just isn't.

I loved this book even more than the first. Her struggles were real and I felt her frustration. I wanted to jump into the book and slap those who treated her so badly, even as they wanted her to save them all. The caste system also drove me nuts in this book, how badly the trackers were treated. These are the people expected to sacrifice everything for the nobles and yet they were treated as though they were disposable. They were the soldiers of the society and I suppose that, as a former soldier myself, it bothered me that their lives were so worthless and unsupported, even as they were expected to risk themselves.

Willa, whom I really didn't like in the first book, begins to come into her own. She grows up and realizes that people are people, regardless of caste. I loved that change, and it made me love her. There are all kinds of new characters inn this book, Tove being one of my favorites. He is starting to have a big role in the series and there is a bit of mystery about him. Wendy, too, begins to change and I love that she still has that spark and bucks the traditions of the kingdom!

Bonus: There's a bonus short story in the newer editions of the book, One Day, Three Ways, set in the world of the Trylle!

My Recommendation: Love the cover, love the story! This is my favorite thus far and I definitely recommend it! I gave it 4.5 mugs! ( )
  Kiki870 | Aug 22, 2014 |
I loved this book just as much as the first one if not a little more.

For one I was glad that it wasn't so predictable this time! In fact it had two rather big plot twist in the beginning and the end. I personally kind of thought the first one miiight happen but it still surprised me that it actually did happen. And then the thing with Tove: I didn't see that coming. I don't know but I don't think that was so obvious.

And I was sooo glad that we got to read more about Loki! I really enjoy reading about him though I always just ignore that he's got blond hair because for me this Loki is the Loki from the Marvel movies. And in a way he fits in my picture! I love his sarcasm even though sometimes he's close to using too much of it. But I do think that the way he acts towards Wendy is a bit crazy especially when he finds out about Tove.

While I really liked Finn in the first book I started to hate him in this one! Damn, he's such an ass! The way he acts around Wendy just makes me want to punch him!

And Wendy: I still don't like her but she's bearable.
Other than that I think the training is really interesting and I like the way it's described how they handle them.
But a thing that made me like Wendy a little more was when she started to care for the kingdom and thought about what would happen to the people if she did this or that (which is maybe more in the next book; I don't really know because I started the next book right away cause it was soo good!)

The short story was great though! It was really interesting to read from the boy's P.O.V.s. Finn's story didn't make me like him again, but I did enjoy reading about Loki's thought and Tove's as well because I'm excited to see if it goes where I hope it does. ( )
  JustSitAndWooui | Mar 1, 2014 |
Mi sta piacendo molto questa saga e devo dire che col tempo mi sono affezionata a tutti i personaggi!Corro a leggere Ascend! ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
We walked toward the ballroom to become the leaders the Trylle needed.

Wendy, a changeling troll princess, returns to her rightful home, a frightening, beautiful world where she discovers her new powers, fights enemies who want to use her abilities for evil, and struggles with romantic decisions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,429,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible