Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch

Midnight Riot (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:devi
Title:Midnight Riot
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Del Rey (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2011, urban fantasy, series, nook

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    riverwillow: Both 'Neverwhere' and 'Rivers of London' (US title 'Midnight Riot') evoke a magical fairy tale London which sometimes feels more authentic then any real life guide to the city.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: It's difficult to explain this recommendation without giving spoilers to one or other of the books. There were certain plot elements to Rivers of London/Midnight Riots which made me think of The Big Over Easy. And both books have a well-developed sense of humour.… (more)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (Rubbah)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Same Location, similar themes. Both Capture the essence of London.
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books have a certain dark British humour to them.
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (fhprice)
    fhprice: Besides the urban setting and police procedural genre similarities, both have protagonists with a snarky "we're just cogs making witty observations about the machine" voices. Wicked humor.
    Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: The way that the river spirits are characterized is similar to the characters in Archer's Goon. Same feel/style.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Mav.Weirdo)
    King Rat by China Miéville (mikewilliams64)
    mikewilliams64: London urban fantasy with malevolent magic in the wings. Sharp contemporary horror from the beginning of Mieville's career
    Half-Resurrection Blues by Daniel José Older (rarm)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: Similar: British policeman fights against the supernatural
    The New York Magician by Jacob Zimmerman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books have a similar way of portraying Gods and Powers and both are urban fantasy/mysteries
    Stray Souls by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit quirky, set in London, and deal with the spirits of things, magic and murder.
    Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman (LongDogMom)
    Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw (andreas.wpv)
    andreas.wpv: Different type of protagonist and friends, but dealing with the un- or supernatural, solving crimes and preventing disasters. This is very similar though in style and tone, mood of the story. It is tense, yes, but holds no horror or exceeding brutality. The protagonist is human, and like a human, and the story has an undercurrent of kindness that many novels miss. And it is funny at times, from gentle humor to laugh out loud.… (more)
    The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both series feature British police who deal with supernatural crime and both are more creative and well written than the average urban fantasy
    Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.
    Nightfall by Stephen Leather (agneson9)
    agneson9: features supernatural/paranormal side of London
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)

English (254)  German (5)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (263)
Brilliant book, terrific fun - can't quite believe it's taken me so long to read it (I've owned it for nearly four years, as I got it signed by Ben at Redemption 2011). Great piece of urban fantasy, lots of humour, great descriptive prose style, lovely characterisation. I look forward eagerly to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  davidbrider | Jan 24, 2019 |
Peter Grant is a newly minted policeman who accidentally ends up working in the supernatural crime unit (consisting of one other person, a posh older dude who agrees to teach him magic, but sadly doesn't get his Harry Potter jokes). A suspenseful and atmospheric love letter to London that blends myth and history with a gleeful irreverence. Great start to a really addictive series. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
This is well better than average, but a little light to be great. The author creates a lively, multi-cultural cast of characters, who are fun to hang around with. I suspect that a better grasp of "Punch and Judy" would have made it even better. As it is, it was fun, and I will read the next in the series. ( )
  teckelvik | Dec 9, 2018 |
The start of an urban fantasy police procedural series. It's funny, fast-paced, intriguing, and set in London by an author who knows London. Highly recommended. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
MIDNIGHT RIOT is a London police procedural with magic. Newly minted Police Constable Peter Grant finds himself working with Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale when he stumbles on a murder and meets a ghost who is an eye witness to the crime. Nightingale happens to be the only wizard working for the London Police.

Peter becomes his apprentice and begins to learn magic. He is also busy investigating a series of very odd crimes and meeting many of the supernatural residents of London. While investigating, he finds himself drafted to settle a dispute between Father Thames and Mother Thames and crushing on one of Mother Thames daughters while still wanting to have a romance with fellow constable Leslie.

The story is nicely complex with various ghosts and the Punch and Judy show playing a role.

Peter tells the story and has a very distinct and snarky voice. I loved the combination police practices and magic. I liked Peter's curiosity and the way he accepts that magic is real. I liked what we learned about Peter's background as the son of a jazz-playing addict and an African mother.

This was a great beginning to a different sort of paranormal mystery series. I can't wait to read more. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 29, 2018 |
Sometimes There Are Men Who Get It Right This author is proof that men can actually grok the full humanity of le deuxième sexe, and write it into their fictional worlds. without having the female characters come across as either absent, ciphers, stereotypes, or sex-fantasies.

(Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, and Whispers Under Ground) are smart, sharp, fast, witty books with a real sense of place (the place being London, if you hadn’t guessed). They’re told from the point of view of PC Peter Grant, who gets himself mixed up in some deeply Weird Shit in the opening chapters of Rivers of London—and the icing on the cake is that Peter is surrounded by a variety of women who are more competent than he is in any number of ways. And he’s okay with that.

Don’t get me wrong. Peter is still a guy, and occasionally a right arse. But the women in these books are real and human—even when they’re not. Human, that is.
added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Sep 11, 2012)

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mussarra, Joan JosepTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadrelli, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray
In memory of Colin Ravey, because some people are too large to be contained by just the one universe.
It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West Portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.
He sliced it in half to show us the interior. It looked like a diseased cauliflower.
”And this ,” said Dr. Walid, “is your brain on magic.”
I returned to the coach house with a packet of marigold gloves and my Uncle Tito’s Numatic vacuum cleaner. Let me tell you – a thousand watts of suckage makes a big difference
The chip that handled RF conversion was superficially intact, but had suffered microscopic pitting across its entire surface. The patterns reminded me of Mr. Coopertown’s brain. This was my phone on magic, I thought.
(Tyburn discounts Peter’s authority over the Folly) - “I am a sworn constable,” I said. “And that makes me an officer of the law. And I am an apprentice, which makes me a keeper of the sacred flame, but most of all I am a free man of London and that makes me a Prince of the City.”
Mr. Punch was running for his afterlife, but I was gaining.

The name's Peter Grant.
river gods and goddesses,
old magic and ghosts.
(passion4reading)
Down by the river:

“Get yer trousers on, you're nicked…

Despite being dead.”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

"As a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic"-- P. [4] of cover.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ben Aaronovitch's book Midnight Riot was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,356,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible