Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

2,3042032,755 (3.91)452
Member:aliena0811
Title:Rivers of London
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Currently borrowed by others
Tags:2012

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    riverwillow: Both 'Neverwhere' and 'Rivers of London' (US title 'Midnight Riot') evoke a magical fairy tale London which sometimes feels more authentic then any real life guide to the city.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Same Location, similar themes. Both Capture the essence of London.
    The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: It's difficult to explain this recommendation without giving spoilers to one or other of the books. There were certain plot elements to Rivers of London/Midnight Riots which made me think of The Big Over Easy. And both books have a well-developed sense of humour.… (more)
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (fhprice)
    fhprice: Besides the urban setting and police procedural genre similarities, both have protagonists with a snarky "we're just cogs making witty observations about the machine" voices. Wicked humor.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (Rubbah)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books have a certain dark British humour to them.
    King Rat by China Miéville (mikewilliams64)
    mikewilliams64: London urban fantasy with malevolent magic in the wings. Sharp contemporary horror from the beginning of Mieville's career
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Mav.Weirdo)
    Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: The way that the river spirits are characterized is similar to the characters in Archer's Goon. Same feel/style.
    Stray Souls by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit quirky, set in London, and deal with the spirits of things, magic and murder.
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: Similar: British policeman fights against the supernatural
    The New York Magician by Jacob Zimmerman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books have a similar way of portraying Gods and Powers and both are urban fantasy/mysteries
    Half-Resurrection Blues: A Bone Street Rumba Novel by Daniel José Older (rarm)
    Nightfall by Stephen Leather (agneson9)
    agneson9: features supernatural/paranormal side of London
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both series feature British police who deal with supernatural crime and both are more creative and well written than the average urban fantasy
    Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Alliebadger)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Both books feature an apparent normal world where magic takes place behind the scenes.

English (202)  German (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (209)
This was recommended to me and though enjoyable, it had its problems. The premise is great and he's good at characterisation, but the dramatic action lacked punch and often passed too quickly. I am intrigued enough to want to read the next book though... ( )
  ellohull | Feb 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed it; I’ll read more in the series. That said, I was bothered by the protagonist’s unrealistic speed of conversion from “there’s no such thing as ghosts” to phlegmatic acceptance of all things magical. At the very least there should have been some sense of marvel. It was actually the item I had the most trouble suspending disbelief about in story containing ghosts, vampires, wizards and their ilk. ( )
  TadAD | Jan 30, 2016 |
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch - Good

This was a happy find! Picked it up at a bookcrossing meetup purely because I liked the cover. I had no real idea what it was about until later. One reviewer suggested it was what would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Police. Fantasy crime.

The story centres around PC Peter Grant, newly qualified and about to be assigned to a unit. One night he is involved in a murder enquiry where he appears to have taken a witness statement from a dead man. He finds himself assigned to Inspector Nightingale, the last wizzard in England. Together they investigate a series of murders and come into contact with all sorts of wierd and wonderful beings that live amongst us.

Engaging story (although a little obvious in places), nice level of humour, first of a series. If I happen upon the second, I'll read it, but I might not rush to find it when there are so many other books to chose from.

(Hmm, I may be doing a dis-service to this as I read it three books ago, really should have written this while it was fresh in my mind as now that I re-read what I've written, I'm sure I enjoyed it more than it sounds) ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Very British, very creative and lots of fun.

Rivers of London is not your run of the mill mystery. The pacing, dialogue, characters make it ... magical.

Fun, fast read. ( )
  Bookish59 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I read this as an audible book.
The story was not quite as appealing as I thought it sounded in the description.
A young police constable sees a ghost at a murder scene and gets picked for training in a special secret government organisation. He becomes acquainted with various magical beings while slowly developing some ability himself and also while trying to solve a series of ghastly murders and attacks.
It all became a bit tedious after awhile.
About 2.5 stars. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Sometimes There Are Men Who Get It Right This author is proof that men can actually grok the full humanity of le deuxième sexe, and write it into their fictional worlds. without having the female characters come across as either absent, ciphers, stereotypes, or sex-fantasies.

(Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, and Whispers Under Ground) are smart, sharp, fast, witty books with a real sense of place (the place being London, if you hadn’t guessed). They’re told from the point of view of PC Peter Grant, who gets himself mixed up in some deeply Weird Shit in the opening chapters of Rivers of London—and the icing on the cake is that Peter is surrounded by a variety of women who are more competent than he is in any number of ways. And he’s okay with that.

Don’t get me wrong. Peter is still a guy, and occasionally a right arse. But the women in these books are real and human—even when they’re not. Human, that is.
added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Sep 11, 2012)

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dürr, KarlheinzTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadrelli, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray
In memory of Colin Ravey, because some people are too large to be contained by just the one universe.
It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West Portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.
He sliced it in half to show us the interior. It looked like a diseased cauliflower.
”And this ,” said Dr. Walid, “is your brain on magic.”
I returned to the coach house with a packet of marigold gloves and my Uncle Tito’s Numatic vacuum cleaner. Let me tell you – a thousand watts of suckage makes a big difference
The chip that handled RF conversion was superficially intact, but had suffered microscopic pitting across its entire surface. The patterns reminded me of Mr. Coopertown’s brain. This was my phone on magic, I thought.
(Tyburn discounts Peter’s authority over the Folly) - “I am a sworn constable,” I said. “And that makes me an officer of the law. And I am an apprentice, which makes me a keeper of the sacred flame, but most of all I am a free man of London and that makes me a Prince of the City.”
Mr. Punch was running for his afterlife, but I was gaining.

The name's Peter Grant.
I'm a police constable
and trainee wizard.
(passion4reading)
Complex plot features
river gods and goddesses,
old magic and ghosts.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

"As a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic"-- P. [4] of cover.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible