Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

2,1952012,956 (3.91)437
Title:Rivers of London
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Currently borrowed by others

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Recently added bythemulhern, private library, SubrosaIlion, Wicker, Legacy88, deerberry, kara-karina, Mindslayer
    Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    riverwillow: Both 'Neverwhere' and 'Rivers of London' (US title 'Midnight Riot') evoke a magical fairy tale London which sometimes feels more authentic then any real life guide to the city.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: It's difficult to explain this recommendation without giving spoilers to one or other of the books. There were certain plot elements to Rivers of London/Midnight Riots which made me think of The Big Over Easy. And both books have a well-developed sense of humour.… (more)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Same Location, similar themes. Both Capture the essence of London.
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (fhprice)
    fhprice: Besides the urban setting and police procedural genre similarities, both have protagonists with a snarky "we're just cogs making witty observations about the machine" voices. Wicked humor.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (Rubbah)
    Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: The way that the river spirits are characterized is similar to the characters in Archer's Goon. Same feel/style.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Mav.Weirdo)
    King Rat by China Miéville (mikewilliams64)
    mikewilliams64: London urban fantasy with malevolent magic in the wings. Sharp contemporary horror from the beginning of Mieville's career
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books have a certain dark British humour to them.
    Stray Souls by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit quirky, set in London, and deal with the spirits of things, magic and murder.
    The New York Magician by Jacob Zimmerman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books have a similar way of portraying Gods and Powers and both are urban fantasy/mysteries
    Nightfall by Stephen Leather (agneson9)
    agneson9: features supernatural/paranormal side of London
    Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both series feature British police who deal with supernatural crime and both are more creative and well written than the average urban fantasy
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: Similar: British policeman fights against the supernatural
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Alliebadger)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Both books feature an apparent normal world where magic takes place behind the scenes.
    Embers by Laura Bickle (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Both series have smart heroes who are more likely to use their brains than their powers to solve problem and both series make good use of mythology.

English (193)  German (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (200)
I have one word to describe this book, and it's TERRIFIC. There is always a special place among the books I read for British authors.

The writing style, the language, the grittiness and feeling that this is real, the peculiar British humour - I absolutely love all that. Ben Aaronovitch has it in spades.

First of all, Peter is a klutz. Adorable, sarcastic as any Londoner, but a klutz. That's why he failed to get top marks for his chemistry to get into a university, and that's why his superiors think that the only place he will be good at is The Case Progression Unit where you basically play a role of a uniformed secretary.

But Peter has got "the touch". His father was a famous jazz musician until his heroin habit got under way, and his son has the same talent - he is attuned to magic. When he decides to interview the ghost on the scene of murder, his life irrevocably changes and he becomes an apprentice for an inspector/wizard Thomas Nightingale.

Now he is studying magic, trying to diplomatically solve the territorial conflict between Mother Thames and Father Thames - two warring gods of the London rivers, and investigate particularly gruesome string of murders around London.

This book has it all - wonderful plot, juicy secondary characters, numerous jokes about London Police and Harry Potter, and plenty of tension.

I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves urban fantasy. I promise you'll enjoy it!
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book enormously, but I doubt that I will hurry to read the next book on the series. The set-up is excellent, as are the main characters, PC Peter Grant and his boss or Master, DCI Nightingale, and the writing cleverly mixes police procedural, Potter-esque magic and witty observation on modern life. But, and it's a big but the plot gets terribly convoluted, and, a bit too silly. I will keep an eye on the reviews and may get lured back sometime.
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Read this book (although named Rivers of London) for The Book Vixen: http://www.thebookvixen.com/2015/01/book-review-rivers-of-london-by-ben.html?m=1 ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Diese und weitere Rezensionen findet ihr auf meinem Blog Anima Libri - Buchseele

Mit Krimis bin ich noch nie so wirklich warm geworden, die sind einfach so gar nicht mein Genre. Daher war ich echt skeptisch, was Aaronovitchs Erfolgsroman „Die Flüsse von London“ angeht, denn eine Mischung aus Fantasy und Kriminal Roman finde ich doch etwas gewagt.

Mit Peter Grant hat Aaronovitch allerdings einen echt sympathischen Protagonisten geschaffen, an dessen Seite ich mich gerne auf dieses Abenteuer eingelassen habe. Und das mit großem Erfolg, denn schon nach wenigen Seiten hat sich dieses Buch als ein wirkliches Highlight herausgestellt.

Zum einen bin ich ein riesengroßer London-Fan und der Autor versteht es wirklich gut die Szenerie seiner Geschichte, eben die britische Hauptstadt, zum Leben zu erwecken und einem die Handlungsorte bildhaft und atmosphärisch-dicht vor die Augen zu führen.

Zum anderen ist die Genre-Mischung einfach unglaublich gut gelungen und auch für mich als Fantasy-Fan, der so gar nichts mit Krimis anfangen kann (und vermutlich auch für Leute, denen es genau umgekehrt geht), spannend und fesselnd bis zur letzten Seite.

Da spielen natürlich auch die Charaktere eine sehr wichtige Rolle. Die sind, im Vergleich zur Gesamtgeschichte, erstaunlich ‚flach‘. Das soll nicht heißen, dass sie eindimensional sind, aber sie haben einfach nicht die Tiefe, die man in diesem Buch erwarten würde und es ‚fehlen‘ ein wenig die wirklich großen Gefühle, besonders zu Beginn der Geschichte, wo vor allem Peter Grant etwas distanziert zu sein scheint.

Das ist allerdings nur ein kleineres Problem des Buchs und eins, was sich im Laufe der Geschichte bessert, sodass es mich nicht wirklich gestört hat. Ich fand „Die Flüsse von London“ alles in allem wirklich sehr gut und faszinierend und ich freue mich wahnsinnig darauf die Fortsetzung „Schwarzer Mond über Soho“ zu lesen. ( )
  FiliaLibri | Nov 10, 2015 |
A good premise (about a magical division to London Met) handled in a workman like way, with plenty of humour and London geography and history thrown in. It was an easy and enjoyable read, but nothing special. ( )
  CarltonC | Nov 4, 2015 |
Sometimes There Are Men Who Get It Right This author is proof that men can actually grok the full humanity of le deuxième sexe, and write it into their fictional worlds. without having the female characters come across as either absent, ciphers, stereotypes, or sex-fantasies.

(Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, and Whispers Under Ground) are smart, sharp, fast, witty books with a real sense of place (the place being London, if you hadn’t guessed). They’re told from the point of view of PC Peter Grant, who gets himself mixed up in some deeply Weird Shit in the opening chapters of Rivers of London—and the icing on the cake is that Peter is surrounded by a variety of women who are more competent than he is in any number of ways. And he’s okay with that.

Don’t get me wrong. Peter is still a guy, and occasionally a right arse. But the women in these books are real and human—even when they’re not. Human, that is.
added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Sep 11, 2012)

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dürr, KarlheinzTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadrelli, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray
In memory of Colin Ravey, because some people are too large to be contained by just the one universe.
It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West Portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.
He sliced it in half to show us the interior. It looked like a diseased cauliflower.
”And this ,” said Dr. Walid, “is your brain on magic.”
I returned to the coach house with a packet of marigold gloves and my Uncle Tito’s Numatic vacuum cleaner. Let me tell you – a thousand watts of suckage makes a big difference
The chip that handled RF conversion was superficially intact, but had suffered microscopic pitting across its entire surface. The patterns reminded me of Mr. Coopertown’s brain. This was my phone on magic, I thought.
(Tyburn discounts Peter’s authority over the Folly) - “I am a sworn constable,” I said. “And that makes me an officer of the law. And I am an apprentice, which makes me a keeper of the sacred flame, but most of all I am a free man of London and that makes me a Prince of the City.”
Mr. Punch was running for his afterlife, but I was gaining.

The name's Peter Grant.
I'm a police constable
and trainee wizard.
Complex plot features
river gods and goddesses,
old magic and ghosts.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

"As a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic"-- P. [4] of cover.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible