Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:aliena0811
Title:Rivers of London
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Currently borrowed by others
Tags:2012

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    riverwillow: Both 'Neverwhere' and 'Rivers of London' (US title 'Midnight Riot') evoke a magical fairy tale London which sometimes feels more authentic then any real life guide to the city.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Same Location, similar themes. Both Capture the essence of London.
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (fhprice)
    fhprice: Besides the urban setting and police procedural genre similarities, both have protagonists with a snarky "we're just cogs making witty observations about the machine" voices. Wicked humor.
    The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: It's difficult to explain this recommendation without giving spoilers to one or other of the books. There were certain plot elements to Rivers of London/Midnight Riots which made me think of The Big Over Easy. And both books have a well-developed sense of humour.… (more)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books have a certain dark British humour to them.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (Rubbah)
    Half-Resurrection Blues by Daniel José Older (rarm)
    King Rat by China Miéville (mikewilliams64)
    mikewilliams64: London urban fantasy with malevolent magic in the wings. Sharp contemporary horror from the beginning of Mieville's career
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Mav.Weirdo)
    Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: The way that the river spirits are characterized is similar to the characters in Archer's Goon. Same feel/style.
    The New York Magician by Jacob Zimmerman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books have a similar way of portraying Gods and Powers and both are urban fantasy/mysteries
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: Similar: British policeman fights against the supernatural
    Stray Souls by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit quirky, set in London, and deal with the spirits of things, magic and murder.
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    Nightfall by Stephen Leather (agneson9)
    agneson9: features supernatural/paranormal side of London
    Bryant & May and the Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.
    The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both series feature British police who deal with supernatural crime and both are more creative and well written than the average urban fantasy
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Both books feature an apparent normal world where magic takes place behind the scenes.
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Alliebadger)

English (211)  German (4)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (219)
This is a highly entertaining series with action, humour and disturbing references to Punch and Judy. The authors love of London in the sense of the historical as well as the urban mayhem is evident. ( )
  HeleneE | Jun 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is an urban fantasy police procedural with a lot of contemporary London detail. London is to some extent one of the characters. I found it engaging but not to the level of the best fantasy which can draw you in to full suspension of disbelief. The lead character starts out as a cheeky, young male copper on probation who is then assigned to a two-man unit specializing in supernatural crime. The narrative tone is wry, flippant and colloquially snarky. I definitely enjoyed that. Amusing similes abound. Magic and the supernatural are not the accepted norm in this reality so effort must be put in to hiding as well as resolving their impact. While the middle of the story line dragged for me during this re-read, I found the finale essentially satisfying if low key. I have read all the novels subsequent to this first in the series but it is not a favorite reread. I give it 3.5 stars. ( )
  NeverStopTrying | Jun 2, 2016 |
Magic, vampires and river spirits all in modern day London. A really good, gripping unputdownable read. Bring on book 2. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Review: Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch.

I had know idea what to expect when I started reading this book. I’m not much on magic but the story entailed something uniquely different and kept me interested with a positive attitude, humor, and a thrilling suspense of curiosity to keep reading and I somehow was taken over by the way the story unfolded. I think it was the police procedures, and mysteries combined with the magical reality that I liked and enticed me to read on.

The book was fast paced and off beat urban fantasy that featured a quirky, curious and altogether charming character name Peter Gordon. He was a biracial cop who just finished two years of street duty and was hoping to be assigned to the murder team but instead he was assigned as an assistant to the Chief Investigator Thomas Nightingale who just happens to be the last registered wizard in England. The only reason Peter was assigned to Nightingale was because he just happened to be at a crime scene of a vicious and baffling murder and discovered some new information in the investigation from a “ghost” who claimed to have witnessed the murder.

Peter soon discovers a world that he never knew existed. He encounters strange beings such as vampires, trolls, and ghost as well as familiar and mysterious enemies lurking in the shadows. Unbeknownst to Peter Gordon he has a gift for magic and a clever mind which Inspector Thomas Nightingale is sure to put to good use. Between the two of them they must try and solve a series of homicides in which the only clues are that the victim’s faces fall off after they are killed….

Peter Gordon is game for trying almost anything and his adventures are entertaining to read. Peter’s likable character and cunning ways summarizes that he’s bound to get into more trouble which makes the story more interesting and humorous.

There is a lot of funny paranormal police drama that also lurks in the shadows. However, the British police are aware of magic but just don’t want to talk about it or have it known to be used in their investigation of crimes but never fall short in calling in Nightingale and Gordon when all else fails…..
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I first came across this book in Aachen, Germany, and it drew my attention almost immediately. Normally I'm not really a fantasy reader, let alone the even more specific terms like urban fantasy. I liked the writing style from what I read in the bookshop, and made a mental note of it.
Still, in the Netherlands this book is nowhere to be found. (It isn't translated either, for as far as I know)
I did really want to read this book, so next time I bought it, even though I had decided not to buy any books for the time being.
I started reading, this time proper, not standing in a bookstore and I liked the book. Perhaps I thought there were things I didn't find as interesting - like for example all the stuff about the rivaling rivers (OK, what's in a name?) but I liked the setup with Scotland Yard and the Folly. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Sometimes There Are Men Who Get It Right This author is proof that men can actually grok the full humanity of le deuxième sexe, and write it into their fictional worlds. without having the female characters come across as either absent, ciphers, stereotypes, or sex-fantasies.

(Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, and Whispers Under Ground) are smart, sharp, fast, witty books with a real sense of place (the place being London, if you hadn’t guessed). They’re told from the point of view of PC Peter Grant, who gets himself mixed up in some deeply Weird Shit in the opening chapters of Rivers of London—and the icing on the cake is that Peter is surrounded by a variety of women who are more competent than he is in any number of ways. And he’s okay with that.

Don’t get me wrong. Peter is still a guy, and occasionally a right arse. But the women in these books are real and human—even when they’re not. Human, that is.
added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Sep 11, 2012)

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dürr, KarlheinzTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadrelli, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray
In memory of Colin Ravey, because some people are too large to be contained by just the one universe.
It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West Portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.
He sliced it in half to show us the interior. It looked like a diseased cauliflower.
”And this ,” said Dr. Walid, “is your brain on magic.”
I returned to the coach house with a packet of marigold gloves and my Uncle Tito’s Numatic vacuum cleaner. Let me tell you – a thousand watts of suckage makes a big difference
The chip that handled RF conversion was superficially intact, but had suffered microscopic pitting across its entire surface. The patterns reminded me of Mr. Coopertown’s brain. This was my phone on magic, I thought.
(Tyburn discounts Peter’s authority over the Folly) - “I am a sworn constable,” I said. “And that makes me an officer of the law. And I am an apprentice, which makes me a keeper of the sacred flame, but most of all I am a free man of London and that makes me a Prince of the City.”
Mr. Punch was running for his afterlife, but I was gaining.

The name's Peter Grant.
I'm a police constable
and trainee wizard.
(passion4reading)
Complex plot features
river gods and goddesses,
old magic and ghosts.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:02 -0400)

"As a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic"-- P. [4] of cover.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,750,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible