Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:aliena0811
Title:Rivers of London
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Currently borrowed by others
Tags:2012

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    riverwillow: Both 'Neverwhere' and 'Rivers of London' (US title 'Midnight Riot') evoke a magical fairy tale London which sometimes feels more authentic then any real life guide to the city.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Same Location, similar themes. Both Capture the essence of London.
    The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: It's difficult to explain this recommendation without giving spoilers to one or other of the books. There were certain plot elements to Rivers of London/Midnight Riots which made me think of The Big Over Easy. And both books have a well-developed sense of humour.… (more)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (Rubbah)
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Mav.Weirdo)
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (fhprice)
    fhprice: Besides the urban setting and police procedural genre similarities, both have protagonists with a snarky "we're just cogs making witty observations about the machine" voices. Wicked humor.
    Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: The way that the river spirits are characterized is similar to the characters in Archer's Goon. Same feel/style.
    King Rat by China Miéville (mikewilliams64)
    mikewilliams64: London urban fantasy with malevolent magic in the wings. Sharp contemporary horror from the beginning of Mieville's career
    The New York Magician by Jacob Zimmerman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books have a similar way of portraying Gods and Powers and both are urban fantasy/mysteries
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books have a certain dark British humour to them.
    Stray Souls by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit quirky, set in London, and deal with the spirits of things, magic and murder.
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: Similar: British policeman fights against the supernatural
    Nightfall by Stephen Leather (agneson9)
    agneson9: features supernatural/paranormal side of London
    The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both series feature British police who deal with supernatural crime and both are more creative and well written than the average urban fantasy
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: Both books feature an apparent normal world where magic takes place behind the scenes.
    The Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.
    Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding (Alliebadger)
    Embers by Laura Bickle (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Both series have smart heroes who are more likely to use their brains than their powers to solve problem and both series make good use of mythology.

English (174)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (179)
Not great literature, but highly entertaining. ( )
  2wonderY | Jan 20, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I first came across this book in Aachen, Germany, and it drew my attention almost immediately. Normally I'm not really a fantasy reader, let alone the even more specific terms like urban fantasy. I liked the writing style from what I read in the bookshop, and made a mental note of it.
Still, in the Netherlands this book is nowhere to be found. (It isn't translated either, for as far as I know)
I did really want to read this book, so next time I bought it, even though I had decided not to buy any books for the time being.
I started reading, this time proper, not standing in a bookstore and I liked the book. Perhaps I thought there were things I didn't find as interesting - like for example all the stuff about the rivaling rivers (OK, what's in a name?) but I liked the setup with Scotland Yard and the Folly. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
DNF. One-word review: tedious.
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
Interesting premise, and our hero almost got over my first impression of him (three times in the first fifteen pages you mention wanting to sleep with your co-worker?) by the end of the book. Enjoyable- pretty sure I'll check out book two. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
A good start to a promising new series. Being a fan of the urban fantasy genre (a la Dresden Files), I enjoyed reading this take on London culture, history, and geography, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Fans of Dresden will enjoy it. The magic isn't so much in-your-face, or at least not as much as Dresden, but it does play an integral part in the story.
At first, I kept hearing Simon Pegg's voice as Peter, but when I read about what he looked like and his heritage, my view and voice changed to that of Mickey from Doctor Who. I think it added to the story quite a bit. I can see this being made into a miniseries for the BBC.
  ajohnson2371 | Nov 7, 2014 |
Sometimes There Are Men Who Get It Right This author is proof that men can actually grok the full humanity of le deuxième sexe, and write it into their fictional worlds. without having the female characters come across as either absent, ciphers, stereotypes, or sex-fantasies.

(Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, and Whispers Under Ground) are smart, sharp, fast, witty books with a real sense of place (the place being London, if you hadn’t guessed). They’re told from the point of view of PC Peter Grant, who gets himself mixed up in some deeply Weird Shit in the opening chapters of Rivers of London—and the icing on the cake is that Peter is surrounded by a variety of women who are more competent than he is in any number of ways. And he’s okay with that.

Don’t get me wrong. Peter is still a guy, and occasionally a right arse. But the women in these books are real and human—even when they’re not. Human, that is.
added by feeling.is.first | editTor.com, Liz Bourke (Sep 11, 2012)

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dürr, KarlheinzÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray
In memory of Colin Ravey, because some people are too large to be contained by just the one universe.
It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West Portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:38 -0400)

"As a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic"-- P. [4] of cover.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,105,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible