Siren's Storm by Lisa Papademetriou

Siren's Storm

by Lisa Papademetriou

This book in one word: Spooky.

It’s pretty obvious from the beginning that something is different about Asia and Gretchen, but what makes Gretchen different is unclear. In fact, although this story is told from Will’s point of view, it is mostly about Gretchen which makes it a great mystery. In fact, there are more unanswered questions about Gretchen’s role in things at the end of the book. She is certainly a driving force in the plot.

The characters were pretty good. There were several that you enjoyed and some that you despised. But most of all, Will and Gretchen are complete mysteries. I think there was a fair amount of depth and insight into Will and Gretchen’s character, but the others were a little lacking. I know they weren’t main attractions in the plot, but I still want an inkling into their motivations. I guess it was there for the most part, I just wanted a little more.

I did enjoy the allusions to The Odyssey. That was fun. I’m a big nerd like that, always looking for symbols, themes, and allusions to classic literature. Like I said, big ol’ dork. If you have forgotten the story of The Odyssey or Ulysses, then you need a refresher. Calypso makes a huge appearance in this book. In fact, she is the major antagonist.

The only thing that bugged me was how quickly the plot ended. There was a steady build throughout the whole book that really helped me connect with the characters, but then all of the sudden I was in the middle of the climax and resolution. It seemed too quick. There is no up and down climax that leads to some great cataclysmic event. It’s more like jumping off the edge of a cliff and being in the middle of the action, which ends as soon as you hit the surface again. It left me with many questions. But, since the second book, Fury’s Fire, is coming out next week, I won’t have to wait long for my answers—I hope.

This was a quick read full of beautiful descriptions and quirky characters. I enjoyed it, and I think if you enjoy mysteries featuring killer mermaids, you’ll enjoy this one too. ( )
  flashlight_reader | Jan 4, 2013 |
The premise of this novel was quite intriguing. Prior to reading this, I had never read anything dealing with the mythological siren. While Siren's Storm was a good read, I felt like it was missing something.

At times it seemed at though I was reading the same scene again and again throughout the book. I understand Gretchen sleepwalks and ends up closer and closer to the water's edge, but I didn't feel any big difference between these scenes. Then it seemed as though Will kept chasing Asia around the entire book without really receiving any answers... until the very end of the book.

The ending had a very large info dump. It was a little overwhelming. While the information wasn't useless, I felt it could have played a bigger part or made the story a little better if it had been pieced into the story from the beginning.

Will wasn't as outstanding a character as Gretchen and Asia were. I was perplexed by Gretchen's sleepwalking and finding herself close and closer to the water. I wanted to know what exactly was pulling her in. Asia was a very mystifying character. She wasn't at all how I expected her to be.

Asia's story and background was very intriguing but I was mostly interested in Gretchen's story. Unfortunately, not much is explained on that front. I'm not sure if there is going to be a sequel to this book but, the way Ms. Papademetriou left the story, I feel like there could be a continuation. I would be very interested in reading more about Gretchen and her interaction with the sirens.

Overall, a good and interesting read. I recommend Siren's Storm to fans of mythological creatures and stories. ( )
  MrsBoswellBooks | Aug 27, 2011 |
Greek mythology is something that never gets old for me. So needless to say, I was pretty excited to pick up a book surrounding the sirens (they're beautiful and badass... and they can sing). Siren's Storm was a quick, interesting read, but I can't help wishing there was a tad bit more to the story...

When the story started, I was a bit confused because of the narrator switched from one point of view to another. I feel like the transitions could have been somewhat smoother, but once I got used to it, it was okay. Between Will's (MC) brother's mysterious death, Gretchen's (MC2) sleep walking and Asia's creepy ability to change someone's emotions (so it seems), Siren's Storm holds a constant eery feeling. There was a real atmosphere to the story world and I really enjoyed that aspect.

I liked how there were bits and peaces of clues and information throughout the chapters that all came together in the end. I really liked how at the beginning of each chapter there would be a snippet from a local newspaper or song, etc. that would sort of be like a preface for the chapter. It made the book seem strangely real.

My only real problem was that I wished there was more to the story throughout. The last two chapters suddenly sped up super fast with thrilling action. It was a great ending, but I wish there was some of that action throughout.

Other than that, I was happy with the story. The sirens' story doesn't often get told, so this is definitely a great read if you are interested. ( )
  ilikethesebooks | Aug 1, 2011 |

Nothing has been the same for Will ever since what happened last summer. One day, on an ordinary sailing trip with his brother, there is a strange accident. When Will wakes up, he learns his brother has disappeared, presumed drowned. Worst of all, Will can't remember what happened—his family finds him unconscious, with no memory of the accident.

Now Will and his best friend and neighbor, Gretchen, are starting a new summer. Gretchen seems troubled—her sleepwalking habit is getting worse, and she keeps waking up closer and closer to the water. Will is drawn to Asia, the exotic new girl in town. Nobody knows where she's from—all Will knows is that her beauty and her mesmerizing voice have a powerful effect on people.

Then there is another mysterious drowning, and Will and Gretchen begin to wonder: Is Asia just another beautiful, wealthy summer resident? Or is she something entirely more sinister . . . and inhuman?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:04 -0400)

Strange things have been happening in seventeen-year-old Will's Long Island resort town, where his brother died last summer, but now their life-long summer friend, Gretchen, is in danger and the alluring, mysterious newcomer, Asia, may be involved.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,667,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible