Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds
Member:randalhoctor
Title:Chasm City
Authors:Alastair Reynolds
Info:Gollancz (2008), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 640 pages

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds (2001)

Recently added bykevbry, eatpie75, daviddonnelly, DGD, ConalO, private library

English (26)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
The book opened with a letter explaining, to the newly arrived visitor, why the planet was nothing like the brochure. It was a corny way to begin a book, it was easy, it was a shortcut.

Having said that it was actually an interesting read. If the author had stopped there and published it as a short-story I would have really enjoyed it. However the book began and the tone, not surprisingly, was completely different to the letter. For the first time in my life I flicked to the back to see if I liked the ending. For the first time in my life I decided I was not willing to invest my time in a tedious book that could possibly end leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth.

From the ending I can surmise that the hero was not a very nice guy. He did a fair bit of killing, some of it was not necessary, and changed his identity a few times, before finally taking over a planet and trying to pretend he did not do anything that presumably happened in the middle part of the book (the bit that I did not read). I more than likely have that all wrong as I really did not understand any of this book. What I did get was that I did not not like the ending, let's blame the lack of kissing, I always like there to be a bit of kissing in the end of the book. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
An excellent, densely-layered, noir-flavoured sci-fi novel. The multiple plot threads were masterfully wound around each other, the setting was intense and deeply atmospheric, and clever revelations abounded (some of which I guessed in advance, but many were a great and delightful surprise. Of course, I probably would have benefitted from reading it in a more compressed timeframe, as I forgot too many details!). I will definitely be looking up more books by this author. ( )
  salimbol | Oct 10, 2013 |
I enjoyed all the stuff set around Chasm City: it's a very interesting backdrop for a story. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Nice idea book. Kept me going on to the end. Resolution left me cold though but eager enough o read more Reynolds. ( )
  ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |
*note to self. Copy from A.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carr, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness was falling as Dieterling and I arrived at the base of the bridge.

Tanner Mirabel was a security specialist who never made a mistake - until the day a woman in his care was blown away by Argent Reivich, a vengeful young postmortal. Tanner's pursuit of Reivich takes him across light-years of space to Chasm City, the domed human settlement on the otherwise inhospitable planet of Yellowstone. But Chasm City is not what it was. The one-time high-tech utopia has become a Gothic nightmare: a nanotechnological virus has corrupted the city's inhabitants as thoroughly as it has the buildings and machines. Before the chase is done, Tanner will have to confront truths which reach back centuries, towards deep space and an atrocity history barely remembers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010644, Mass Market Paperback)

In a city overrun by a virus that attacks both man and machine, an agent pursues a lowlife postmortal-and uncovers a centuries-old atrocity that history would rather forget...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:35 -0400)

Tanner Mirabel was a security specialist who never made a mistake, until the day a woman in his care was blown away during an attack by a vengeful young postmortal named Argent Reivich.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible