Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds
Title:Chasm City
Authors:Alastair Reynolds
Info:Gollancz (2008), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 640 pages

Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds (2001)

English (28)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
Tanner Mirabel, who I would deem an assassin by trade, is after the man who killed his boss. As he zooms in on his target, events begin to unfold which include memories induced by a virus which cause him to doubt his mission, as well as his own existence. Plunging into the storyline, one is reminded of events of Blade Runner, as well as the weirdness of a Gilliam's Brazil. The story raps up nicely, but not before the reader is taken on a journey where he/she wonders why they read the novel, or where the hell it's going to end up. I am honored to have finished this book, but I have to admit that I was taken on a journey of wonder, self-doubt, and satisfaction at the end. Perhaps I have experienced the genius of Alastair Reynolds without being fully aware of it. I would advise future readers to keep a WIDE open mind when tackling this adventure. ( )
  utbw42 | Jul 10, 2015 |
I objectively recognize that Chasm City is a very well-written and structured novel, and I enjoyed it, but it honestly never grabbed my attention with the kind of intensity where I could not put it down.
1 vote JLHeim | Jan 25, 2015 |
An enjoyable space opera of the modern door-stopper variety of a la Reynolds, Peter Hamilton, and M John Harrison . The narrator is on a mission of revenge which takes him (eventually) to the city of title. Fairly early on he begins to have dreams that tell a completely different story of the colonists coming to settle the planetary system. All eventually weaves together.

I recall only one scene, involving a space elevator, that went in for the out-scaled theatrics typical for this subgenre. That's fine by me, since I found such scenes irritating when E E Smith did them 80 years ago, and I find them even more annoying given the improved quality of writing found today. For the most part the action in this novel stays in one relatively small spatial region for extended periods of time, split over the two interwoven narratives. Characterization is minimal but sufficient. Recommended for modern space opera fans. ( )
2 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Oct 22, 2014 |
The book opened with a letter explaining, to the newly arrived visitor, why the planet was nothing like the brochure. It was a corny way to begin a book, it was easy, it was a shortcut.

Having said that it was actually an interesting read. If the author had stopped there and published it as a short-story I would have really enjoyed it. However the book began and the tone, not surprisingly, was completely different to the letter. For the first time in my life I flicked to the back to see if I liked the ending. For the first time in my life I decided I was not willing to invest my time in a tedious book that could possibly end leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth.

From the ending I can surmise that the hero was not a very nice guy. He did a fair bit of killing, some of it was not necessary, and changed his identity a few times, before finally taking over a planet and trying to pretend he did not do anything that presumably happened in the middle part of the book (the bit that I did not read). I more than likely have that all wrong as I really did not understand any of this book. What I did get was that I did not not like the ending, let's blame the lack of kissing, I always like there to be a bit of kissing in the end of the book. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
An excellent, densely-layered, noir-flavoured sci-fi novel. The multiple plot threads were masterfully wound around each other, the setting was intense and deeply atmospheric, and clever revelations abounded (some of which I guessed in advance, but many were a great and delightful surprise. Of course, I probably would have benefitted from reading it in a more compressed timeframe, as I forgot too many details!). I will definitely be looking up more books by this author. ( )
  salimbol | Oct 10, 2013 |

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carr, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness was falling as Dieterling and I arrived at the base of the bridge.

Tanner Mirabel was a security specialist who never made a mistake - until the day a woman in his care was blown away by Argent Reivich, a vengeful young postmortal. Tanner's pursuit of Reivich takes him across light-years of space to Chasm City, the domed human settlement on the otherwise inhospitable planet of Yellowstone. But Chasm City is not what it was. The one-time high-tech utopia has become a Gothic nightmare: a nanotechnological virus has corrupted the city's inhabitants as thoroughly as it has the buildings and machines. Before the chase is done, Tanner will have to confront truths which reach back centuries, towards deep space and an atrocity history barely remembers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441010644, Mass Market Paperback)

In a city overrun by a virus that attacks both man and machine, an agent pursues a lowlife postmortal-and uncovers a centuries-old atrocity that history would rather forget...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

Tanner Mirabel was a security specialist who never made a mistake, until the day a woman in his care was blown away during an attack by a vengeful young postmortal named Argent Reivich.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,802,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible