Classified as Murder by Miranda James

Classified as Murder (2011)

by Miranda James

Recently added byrena70, MsSomeday, kittytm, gentcat, private library, UWPKarrmann

A nice second installment in the "Cat in the Stacks" series that manages to be fresh and natural-feeling continuation of Charlie's and Diesel's life without falling into a rut. Obviously there is still a murder involved, but the manner, focus, approach, and result are different. Charlie the Librarian's personal life and his involvement with the murder all twine together nicely. My only complaint is that the dialogue between Charlie and his broody son Sean is a little too on-the-nose when they have an argument and the resolution wraps it up a little too neat. Also, the wealthy and eccentric Delacorte family is a little TOO weird...in the sense that they aren't quite believable as characters, feeling more one-dimensional than the others. But it's a minor complaint in an otherwise quite enjoyable cozy mystery. It's also nice that, while you really should read the first book beforehand, I could see someone picking up the second book first and not getting lost. I look forward to continuing the series. ( )
  Starsister12 | Dec 25, 2013 |
I'm really liking this cozy series. Charlie is a likable protagonist, the rare book info in this one was interesting and Diesel continues to be a great companion. Charlie's grown son, Sean, shows up and although they initially have a strain on their relationship it's nice to see another angle of Charlie in his relationship with his family. I'm looking forward to Book 3. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Classified is the second book in this series by Miranda James(also writes as Dean James). This has joined my list of Favorites Series.

Libarian, Charlie Harris, has returned to Athena, MS where he volunteers at the local library and works at Athena College as cataloger and archivist. In this book Charlie comes to find that his son, who lives in Texas has come for a visit. But Sean doesn't seem to want to share why he has showed up with out warning. Then at the library the next day, aging and eccentric James Delacotte engages Charlie to do an inventory of his his extensive rare book collection. Delacotte feels that one of his relatives that lives with him is stealing some of his books. The family is about as disfuntional as they come. Then Monday Charlie starts his first day on the inventory. He breaks for lunch with his son and upon returning an hour later finds that Mr. Delacotte is dead and more than likely murdered. An unlikely request comes from deputy sheriff, as she askes for him to keep his ears and eyes open wide while he is working on the inventory.

The books are just straight forward great stories. Not a lot of twists and turns, just good plotting and enjoyable reading. And just maybe in future books maybe a little romantic interest for Charlie and his son.

I'm not famliar with Maine Coon cats, but if ther is one negative thing I will say and or ask, do they chirp and warble? Diesel, a Maine coon cat in the book does and I shake my head when I read that. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |
This second book in the series is a whole lot better than the first. Diesel the Maine coon cat is still the best character. The dialog has improved and is less like robo-speak.

The cover illustration on the first book looks only vaguely like a Maine coon cat. The second one isn't much better but someone must have told the artist that Maine coon cats have tufted ears because the same vaguely-coon cat on the second cover has grown teeny tiny ear tufts. I guess they didn't want to change the cat too much when they had already committed to the vaguely-coon on the first book. It doesn't do Diesel justice. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
In loving memory of my cousin, Terry James (1955-2009), who left us far too soon.
When I was a boy growing up in Athena, Mississippi, forty-odd years ago, the public library occupied a large one-story house built in 1842.

Aging eccentric James Delacorte asks Charlie the librarian to do an inventory of his rare book collection-but the job goes from tedious to terrifying when James turns up dead. Relying on his Maine Coon cat Diesel to paw around for clues, Charlie has to catch the killer before another victim checks out.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible