The Stand: Hardcases by Roberto…

This is a pivotal volume in the series. Everywhere people are arriving whether to be with Mother Abigail or to be with Randall Flagg. The book starts with Trashcan Man on his journey to Randall, he knows he will be given an important job. He meets up with others and they finally arrive. We find out just how brutal life is there for them. Then back to the town where the good guys are and Larry and his group finally arrive and start trying to put together a society with more and more people arriving every day. Meanwhile, Harold is working secretively as he has things to accomplish before he leaves for good to join the Dark Man in Vegas. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 6, 2016 |
Four is slightly better than three since they are finally making their way to Boulder or Vegas. Needing to restart community and society. It's interesting that Flagg wouldn't allow drugs with penalty of death since it distracted anyone from his evil mission. The poor people in Boulder are setting up spies but they aren't thinking there are already spies from Flagg's side.

I'm still surprised that the most suspenseful book I've ever read (no joke) can be such a mystery to me and so unmemorable! It's the thing I hate most about reading: not remembering even my favorite books. There are just some books I remember, I guess. The thing I remember most about this book is the suspense - even on King standards. ( )
  booklove2 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I flip-flopped back and forth between what to rate this but ultimately decided on a 4. In fact, I think 2012 has been the year that I've awarded the most 4 star reviews. I guess that's what happens when you stay within the lines of what you're primarily expected to enjoy.

Finally, we've arrived in Boulder and a new United States of America beings to slowly take form. Many are beginning to be made aware of a growing army within Nevada, ruled by The Dark Man, so preparations must be made. In this volume, Aguirre-Sacasa concentrates mainly on the formation of the ad-hoc committee in Boulder as everything from corpse removal to restoring the power must be organized before winter sets in.

Harold Lauder starts to slowly turn to The Dark Man for acceptance and guidance as his hatred flows through him into the pages of his secret ledger. However, Harold isn't the only rotten apple in town as Nadine Cross shows signs that her faith may not be within Mother Abagail but rather that of Randall Flagg.

Hardcases concentrates in the development of the opposing civilizations with the promise of battle on the horizon. Flagg, while a known evil, seems to have happier followers whereas those in Boulder are not without conflict.

I really enjoyed this collection but annoyed that I've now caught up and have nothing else in the series to read. The remaining installments cannot come fast enough. Then again, it's not like I'm not aware of how this ends or anything. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

The Trashcan Man was spared for a reason. To join the Dark Man Randall Flagg's swelling army and to set the world on fire. It's a dream come true for the pyromaniac, but he has to reach Flagg's compound in Las Vegas first--and, somehow, survive crossing paths with "the Kid," a hardcase who's even crazier and more dangerous than Trashy is! The villains are front-and-center as we cross the mid-point of this epic adaptation of Stephen King's horror masterpiece!

Collecting:

The Stand: Hardcases #1-5

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:32 -0400)

Like the rest of the one percent who outlived the worldwide sweep of death known as Captain Trips, they are survivors. But as followers and acolytes of the Dark Man, Randall Flagg, they are enforcers of a nihilistic plan that will reshape the new world in his image. One of them, the Trashcan Man, satisfied his hunger for fire by burning Gary, Indiana, to the ground. And now that he's heard the Dark Man calling, drawing him halfway across the country to Las Vegas, there's no turning back. It's time for the whole world to burn.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,553,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible