Green-Eyed Envy (A Shades of Fury Novel) by…

Green-Eyed Envy (A Shades of Fury Novel) (edition 2011)

by Kasey Mackenzie

Member:STACYatUFI
Title:Green-Eyed Envy (A Shades of Fury Novel)
Authors:Kasey Mackenzie
Info:Ace (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***

Green Eyed Envy by Kasey Mackenzie

reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blogspot.com/

I really enjoyed RED HOT FURY, so there was no doubt in my mind that I would be grabbing a copy of GREEN EYED ENVY the day it came out. I find Riss (Marissa) sassy, fun, and determined. I have also really liked the rest of the characters so far in the series. Harper a friend and past fling of Scott's that we met in book one has a much bigger role in book two. The whole book is pretty much about her and a serial killer that is offing her ex boyfriends as it gets closer to her wedding day. Riss is not only determined to stop him from killing more people but she is worried for Scott as well due to his past "relationship" with Harper.

I didn't feel that GREEN EYED ENVY was AS good as RED HOT FURY for a few reasons. The mysterious were pretty easy to solve to me. There were lots of things I guessed before their reveals. The emotions weren't as high for me, I didn't feel as attached to the story line as I would have liked. Although you can tell that they care a lot about each other and the feelings built up more the relationship between Riss and Scott didn't have as much emotion behind it as in book one. I missed the whole Fury aspect. There wasn't as much of her being her Fury self as there was in book one and I really would have liked that. Even after saying all of that I don't regret reading GREEN EYED ENVY, I still enjoyed it and there were a few things that happened in the book that I'm excited to see more of in following books. I will be buying the next book in the series and I think if you liked book one you will still enjoy what GREEN EYED ENVY adds to the series. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Sep 5, 2011 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

We can try hard not to judge a book by its cover, but even the most noble among us will fail to be completely impartial when they crack a book for the first time. That’s because however much we might try and deny it, the cover of a book makes certain promises even before we know what the book is about, and broken promises tend to disappoint readers, or at least that’s how I feel after finishing GREEN-EYED ENVY.

Based on the cover alone, I was expecting a sexy, gritty urban fantasy with a tough as nails protagonist. The actual book turned out to be something quite different. It read more like Miss Congeniality takes on urban fantasy than anything else. Nothing against Sandra Bullock movies, and given the right mood I can enjoy a lighter, chick-lit paranormal romp every now and then, but that isn’t what I was hoping for here and that is unfortunately what I got.

Riss is a Fury, a mythological creature who punishes supernatural lawbreakers and works as Boston’s chief magical investigator. In GREEN-EYED ENVY, she goes undercover as a wedding planning to catch a supernatural serial killer. Riss herself isn’t the ‘furious’ character I hoped for. I would describe her as spunky and maybe a bit sassy. She does get to show off some paranormal fighting skills in the book, but she didn’t ever strike me as fierce. The scenes with her boyfriend Scott were pretty innocuous too. No romantic tension, and barely any chemistry that I could detect either.

Overall, GREEN-EYED ENVY just isn’t the book I was expecting it to be based on the cover and description. This book is urban fantasy lite with a feisty rather than fierce protagonist in a story worthy of the next Miss Congeniality movie. If you’re in the mood for a less gritty book, this may be for you, but I needed more.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex ( )
  pollywannabook | Jun 19, 2011 |

Kasey Mackenzieprimary authorall editionscalculated
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When the bodies of the Bastai, shapeshifters also known as Cats, begin piling up in Boston's magical underworld, Marissa Holloway, a Fury, discovers a common thread that ties all the victims together--and is linked to her current lover.

Kasey Mackenzie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,150,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible