Finder: Voice by Carla Speed McNeil

Finder: Voice (edition 2011)

by Carla Speed McNeil

Info:Dark Horse (2011), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:graphic novel, comic, sf

Finder: Voice by Carla Speed McNeil

The skill with which Carla Speed McNeil weaves the world of Finder never ceases to amaze me. Every installment in this series brings out new information, new cultural information, and elaborates upon old characters that we may only have met for a second three volumes before. McNeil's imagination is vast, and I feel truly blessed to be given the chance to delve into it through these volumes.

Unlike previous volumes, Voice focuses more heavily upon the Llaverac clan and the way in which one becomes a full member of it. Rachel is the focus, much as Marcie was the focus of Talisman and the Llaverac beauty pageant is something that would put Toddlers in Tiaras to shame. The questions of beauty, of authenticity, and of personal identity are all delved into.. as are certain questions of societal mores. The footnotes that I love so in these comics also have grown more confident, and elaborate.

Also: how can't you love a comic book that questions why society is increasingly finding it all right to wear underclothes as normal day to day clothing (i.e. t-shirts.)? I love that she thinks of these things. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
What the heck am I reading?? ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I've always enjoyed Carla Speed McNeil's Finder sci-fi series, because I found great sensitivity in the way that she treats difficults themes in her graphic novels. After Marcie's adventures in 'Talisman', Rachel now learns to deal with her mother's clan in the context of a beauty pageant and its aftermath. Acceptance is hard to come by when you're different, so her struggles and adventures will help her overcome the odds against her. In my opinion, this is an essential book in the 'Finder' series, because we see her characters develop and grow up within a society which has set rules and set social classes. ( )
  soniaandree | May 18, 2014 |
Great, as ever. Appreciate the new format size. Pity she still needs footnotes to explain chunks of the story, but they are and it is still very worth reading. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
For starters, "seek and ye shall find" is the fitting epitaph McNeil chose for this volume, which contextually fits in with the others or can stand alone. It harkens back a little bit to [book:Finder: Sin-Eater], where Jaeger’s relationship to the Grosvenor family is most clearly depicted. Voice revolves around Rachel Grosvenor’s quest to formally join her mother’s tribal clan, the Llaveracs. To do so, she must participate in the clan’s Conformation pageant to be judged for beauty and conformity to the purity of the clan’s standards for androgynous presentation. At the start of the book, the pageant is already underway, but Rachel and her sister Marcie get mugged on the way home from the first night of the competition, and Rachel loses the heirloom ring she inherited from her mother. Unfortunately the ring serves as her passport into the competition. She can’t participate without it, and so begins her quest to find the ring and baring that, to find the Finder (Jaeger) who could likely find the ring. However, it quickly becomes obvious that this particular Finder might not want to be found, and Rachel may just have to fare for herself.

Being of mixed clan heritage, Rachel feels pressured to succeed because doing so can make all the difference for her and her siblings who’ve had a hard time fitting into either of their parent’s tribes (though frankly neither Lynne nor Marcie share their older sister's aspirations). Therefore, it’s ironic that her quest to join high society takes Rachel to the depths of Anvard, the city-state where the story is set. Anvard is a rich mix of clans (all as different as apples and oranges), gangs, traditions, and technology. Part of the city remains in complete darkness (literally as well as figuratively) all the time. Through her wanderings we’re immersed in a rich culture and a wide variety of settings within it, from desolate bus stops, seedy bars and illicit businesses to the glamor of fashionable nightclubs and the pageant itself. We’re treated to wide array of characters too, including a vampire cowboy (see McNeil’s endnotes), made men (think Sopranos), and pair of androgynous realtor queens (think Queer as Folk).

As always, McNeil’s artwork is gorgeous, reminding me more of [author:Jaime Hernandez|83339]’s work than his brother [author:Gilberto|5763747]’s; but all three have an amazing eye for detail (little things on the page that end up lending a whole lot of meaning) and such skill in depicting gestures and facial expressions that are unhampered by the consistency in the way they draw their characters. Rachel's transformation from pawn to victim to sidekick to femme fatale seems to lift right off the pages.

Finder: Voice is comprised of some memorable scenes. One of my favorites is a confrontation with her "sister" Lynne early on and another is her accidental involvement in a sacred ceremony of the nomadic, outsider Ascians. There is a lot of stuff packed into not so many pages, and it takes genuine talent to pull that off. ( )
  mpho3 | Apr 11, 2012 |

A young woman trying to find home gets caught up in a hermaphrodite beauty pageant between clans and the search for a missing 400-year-old ring.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible