Tabloid City by Pete Hamill

Tabloid City

by Pete Hamill

1921661,408 (3.68)7

Disappointing. Cliched, too many characters, lost track of what the heck was going on. Like his nonfiction so much more. ( )
  sidrose | Jan 23, 2016 |
A delightful little book, particularly for those who have been on the inside of the news business -- and especially for those who witnessed the death of a newspaper from the inside. Hamill gets newspapers right, and his New York City reeks of authenticity. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 5, 2015 |
Pete Hamill's Tabloid City is like book turned into a poetic mural about New York City. I loved the way that he weaved together so many different stories into such a great treasure.

He starts off with the city room of the New York World and the Editor in Chief, 71 year old Editor in chief, Sam Briscoe looking for the "wood" (the big story of the issue). I loved the references to the newsrooms of the past and the feeling of nostalgia. There was sort of a gritty romance with the city. With the Internet news, you don't get to know the people writing the stories.
Helen Loomis like Sam, is another reluctant bridge to the past, aching for a smoke and using her column, nicknamed "Vics and Dicks" to give people a few laughs for the day about dumb criminals.

There are many more characters, a victim of serving in Iraq, now in a wheelchair, a black converted to a terrorist group and his father heartsick and working against it. A sad but real love story between Sam Briscoe and very intelligent and generous woman and so many unforgetable stories make up this complex painting.

I really loved this book, everything fit together the gritty and the beautiful, the sad and regretful, and it was all pure poetry to me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a feeling for the complex city of New York and also enjoy great and I mean great writing.

Come on, read it, if you don’t like it, you can blame me! ( )
  Carolee888 | Aug 11, 2012 |
Pretty good.
  shazjhb | Jun 24, 2012 |
I really liked the way Hamill weaved several stories together so that they all related to each other, but each was a compelling story in itself. Strong characters and the right mixture of emotion and practical reality. I can recommend Tabloid City to anyone looking for a good read. ( )
  sproe | May 25, 2012 |
...You shall search them all.
Someday by heart you'll learn each famous sight
And watch the curtain rise in hell's despite;
You'll find the garden in the third act dead,
Finger your knees---and wish yourself in bed
With tabloid crime-sheets perched in easy sight.
Hart Crane, "The Tunnel,"
from The Bridge
I have no one to speak to, no one to consult, no one to support me, and I feel depressed and lonely. I do not know what to do...

-------Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab,
the "underwear bomber"
in memory of
Jose "Chegui" Torres
1936-2009

Champion. Writer. Singer.
Dancer. Laugher. Brother.

para siempre, 'mano
Here comes Briscoe, seventy-one years old, five foot eleven, 182 pounds.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316020753, Hardcover)

In a stately West Village town house, a wealthy socialite and her secretary are murdered. In the 24 hours that follow, a flurry of activity surrounds their shocking deaths:

The head of one of the city's last tabloids stops the presses. A cop investigates the killing. A reporter chases the story. A disgraced hedge fund manager flees the country. An Iraq War vet seeks revenge. And an angry young extremist plots a major catastrophe.

The City is many things: a proving ground, a decadent carnival, or a palimpsest of memories--a historic metropolis eclipsed by modern times. As much a thriller as it is a gripping portrait of the city of today, Tabloid City is a new fiction classic from the writer who has captured New York perfectly for decades.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:23 -0400)

When a wealthy socialite and her secretary are found murdered in a stately West Village townhouse, a flurry of seemingly unrelated people spring into action. A reporter chases the story while a tabloid executive holds the presses, a ruined financer attempts to leave the country, a war veteran plots revenge, and a terrorist plans an attack.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,000,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible