Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:romance, fantasy, dark-hunter

Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Wow... uhmm... boring mostly.
All new bad boys and mythology. Yes, she puts a little of the other characters in Sasha is back as is Zarek but only for a little bit. We meet Jessup Sundown in Zareks story ages ago. What we get here is a bunch of new mythology from American Indian's to add to the already expanding, Olympic, Atlantian, Sumerian, Primal power, demon, damion, were-hunter, dark-hunter, demon hunter (sorry cannot remember the name here but Fang is one of them and Thorn is the head), etc... and let's not go into the types of demons, charonte, gallu, slug, dimi, etc... Sorry but it seems as every other book is introducing us to new bad guys and mythologies. I get that it is leading to the time-untime or 12-12-12 the end of the Mayan calender but... I'd just like to get back to the basics.

This story was semi OK in romance and boring in the continuing Dark Hunter saga. New North, South, East and West guardians of American Indian legend are introduced and one has a grudge against Jesse (or Jess, Jessup, Jessie or Sundown). You get plagues released by a couple of the guardians and Jess and his friends running for life and to stop the end of the world. This did give a little action but it seemed contrived just to make this a novel instead of novella.

The bonus chapter in the end of the book with Ash and Tori and Tori having her baby had nothing to do with the rest of the story and should have been offered either as a novella or on her website. I was happy to get this little tidbit but was disappointed as many others were in parts of it.

1. Tori wishes Ash could have the pain of childbirth. Does she know he has been through worse and easily would take something so little for her. I've done it twice, naturally, with long drawn out labors and never have wished my husband castrated or even cursed him. For her to even suggest that to Ash, who has been castrated was sad.

2. For Ash to promise anything to Artemis was just too much for me. He should promise to release his mother on her if she didn't help, not vise versa. Sorry that just pissed me off and we all know Ash would lose it if Tori were to die. As for Artemis's turn around, and it points to Nick as the reason, I don't know how Kenyon is going to pull that off but I doubt I'll think it makes sense. Artemis has been selfish for thousands of years, it is not going to change by loosing Ash and gaining Nick. Nick getting the souls now, that was totally predictable from the scene in Acheron, at the end, where Artemis and Nick are commiserating outside the wedding, looking longingly in.

tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
This story was absolutely delightful! I loved both Sundown and Abby, they were both confused and hurt, but decided in the end to trust their feelings, and what they could be together.

The mythology was excellent, we learned so much more about things, and old curses and legends, and it was great to learn more about Ren as well. The mix between cowboy, native American and dark-hunter was really something that made this book even more of a page-turne than usual.

Andy, Jess' squire was so funny, even more funny than Nick used to be :)

And the bonus scene in the end was almost like a whole other book in itself, although it really was short and sweet. I loved the birthscene, when Tory had trouble actually having her baby leave her womb, and that Simi, Ash's mom, and other friends were around for it. Simi cracked me up with still wanting to BBQ Artemis :D And Artemis really came through in the end! I hope what she said was for real! ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
I was disappointed in this entry in the Dark Hunter series. Each book in the series does stand alone in that it is the story of one Dark Hunter and his/her love interest. There are overlying story arcs and the novels reference back to characters and events that took place previously. This one felt very disconnected to the others. The main focus in Retribution was the Native American mythology and apocalypse legends. The author has combined other mythologies besides the base Greek and Roman ones but this felt as though it came out of nowhere. There was very little interaction with other longstanding DH series regulars.
The main characters, Jess "Sundown" Brady and Abigail were okay but I found myself just not that interested in them. Abigail was a tot when her parents were gunned down in cold blood by Sundown and she has lived her whole life (with her adopted family) waiting for the day she could hunt him down and kill him. Jess for his part sold his soul to Artemis for revenge on his best friend who killed him on his wedding day. The two are tied together in a prophecy most ancient and their love will eventually triumph, stop the apocalypse and save the day.
The romance was eh at best. There was one love scene and it was just not up to SK's others. Besides, it was in car which is fine if the chemistry and romance is there which for me wasn't.
I will continue to plod on with the series but I am hoping that it improves. I want to see more of Acheron, Tory, Simi, The Heifer Goddess and even Nick. ( )
  ilefkowitz | Apr 4, 2013 |
Received for review
Overall Rating 4.25
Story Rating 4.00
Character Rating 4.50
Mythology Rating 4.25

NOTE: I am a HUGE Dark Hunters fan so I eagerly count down to each and every installment in the series. My favorite ones where mythology (of every type) plays a major role. Retribution will rank in my favorites of the series.

What I Loved: I loved the Native American mythology track in Retribution. Sherrilyn Kenyon is brilliant at taking current myths and legends and building them into her world. I think Jess and Abi were perfect characters to build the Butterfly and Buffalo myth around. I also can't wait to see this mythology mix in with the rest of the series. There were just as many hilarious moments, which always are my favorites and the bro-mances abound.

What I Liked: (Not giving anything away) The Epilogue was a great way to end this book. I liked that it was put at the end as not to distract from Jess and Abi's story.

Complaints: I still can't say "chocolates" name :)

Why I gave it a 4.25: On mythology alone, this will be one of my favorite Dark Hunter novels (the shifters are still my absolute favorites) ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
William Jessup Brady was a hired gunslinger who changed his ways when he met a woman who loved him. This all ended in betrayal and Artemis gave him a second chance at vengeance and he took it. Now he protects people and tries to come to terms with his new life.

Avigail Yager was orphaned as a toddler and she doesn't remember much of the night her parents died except that the Daimons or Vampires who adopted her have told her it was a darkhunter and specificially Brady. She is determined to kill him, however things change when they meet.

It's pretty typical Kenyon fare, I enjoyed the read, the series is getting more and more complicated as time goes on and the twists are getting a little more strained. Still it's an entertaining read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 19, 2012 |

Harm no human…A hired gunslinger, William Jessup Brady lived his life with one foot in the grave. He believed that every life had a price. Until the day when he finally found a reason to live. In one single act of brutal betrayal, he lost everything, including his life. Brought back by a Greek goddess to be one of her Dark-Hunters, he gave his immortal soul for vengeance and swore he’d spend eternity protecting the humans he’d once considered prey. Orphaned as a toddler, Abigail Yager was taken in by a family of vampires and raised on one belief—Dark-Hunters are the evil who prey on both their people and mankind, and they must all be destroyed. While protecting her adoptive race, she has spent her life eliminating the Dark-Hunters and training for the day when she meeting the man who killed her family: Jess Brady.A gun in the hand is worth two in the holster…Jess has been charged with finding and terminating the creature who’s assassinating Dark-Hunters. The last thing he expects to find is a human face behind the killings, but when that face bears a striking resemblance to the one who murdered him centuries ago, he knows something evil is going on. He also knows he’s not the one who killed her parents. But Abigail refuses to believe the truth and is determined to see him dead once and for all.Brought together by an angry god and chased by ancient enemies out to kill them both, they must find a way to overcome their mutual hatred or watch as one of the darkest of powers rises and kills both the races they’ve sworn to protect.

Brought together by an angry god and chased by ancient enemies out to kill them both, hired gunslinger William Jessup Brady and orphaned vampire-raised Abigail Yager must find a way to overcome their mutual hatred or watch as one of the darkest of powers rises and kills both the races they've sworn to protect.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible