Dead Iron: The Age of Steam (Cedar Hunt) by…

Dead Iron: The Age of Steam (Cedar Hunt) (edition 2011)

by Devon Monk

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:Dead Iron: The Age of Steam (Cedar Hunt)
Authors:Devon Monk
Info:Roc Trade (2011), Paperback, 352 pages

Dead Iron by Devon Monk

Recently added byraselyem7, MidnightFae, fighterofevil, Irena., sunset_x_cocktail, private library, BillieBook

The West in this book is not a romantic one. People suffer, kill, steal and they are full of prejudice, which you will see right in the first scene and in many others later. Hallelujah is a small town that hopes to become something more important with the arrival of the railroad and it is full of horrible people (their attitude toward Rose, Mae, Cedar). The people of Hallelujah are narrow-minded, self-righteous bigots and *insert any other insult you can think of*. I was furious half the time I was reading this book. And if that isn't enough, there are other creatures around. Most are evil, so the railroad isn't the only thing which is coming to Hallelujah. "Ever since the rails, ever since the dead iron had stretched out like poison in a vein across this land, the Strange had become stronger, hungrier."Cedar Hunt is a cursed man. He was cursed by a native god to turn into a beast every month and to hunt the Strange, which doesn't belong to this land. He lost his family and his brother, but he still fights against the evil, the Strange, hoping that someday the curse will be lifted.
The description says he's offered hope that his brother may yet survive. All he has to do is find the Holder: a powerful device created by mad devisers-and now in the hands of an ancient Strange who was banished to walk this Earth. - a bit spoilerish if you ask me, since this hope offering does not happen till around 40% of the book or later.

Mae Lindson is witch, married to Jeb. The first time we see Jeb is when he is killed, for the third time. Mae and Jeb vowed their souls to each other and nothing the villain did could prevent Jeb to get back to Mae. She felt when he was killed and decided to revenge him. Cedar Hunt refused to kill a man for revenge, so she decided to do it on her own. If you didn't love Cedar Hunt before this, the reason why he refused her and with that refusal lost his chance to get rid of his curse would make you love him. I am aware I didn't write the reason, but this could still be a spoiler.

There is no romance in this book, but there is a promise of one later. There is more chemistry between characters in this book than in some romance books I've read. Cedar Hunt is one of the hottest male characters I've read so far and this has nothing to do with shapeshifting (it's not that kind of story) and everything to do with the kind of man he is.

All in all, a great start for a series. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Very interesting, first in a series - will def. look for the follow-ups. ( )
  amobogio | Oct 28, 2013 |
This book is the steam punk story I’ve been waiting for since my husband forced me to watch Full-Metal Alchemist. Lots of authors seem to think that if only they throw a couple of gears into the story that it will qualify as steam punk. Dead Iron, though, is the only story I’ve found that manages that same creepy, brass-plated, “playing with powers beyond mortal ken” kind of feel that FMA had. But it is the human elements of both stories that call to me: among the steam-powered robots and creepy alchemical creatures is a tale of sorrow, loss, and love. Of course, there are also some kick-ass fight scenes and incredibly funny moments, too.

With werewolves, witches, fey creatures, steam punk robots, and railroad tycoons all mixing it up in the Old West, one would think that the story would be jumbled with too many disparate elements. It isn’t. I don’t know how the author does it, but she does it well. If you are of the inclination that Dead Iron might be a fluke – you need to read her short story collection, A Cup of Normal. Monk does strange as naturally as breathing, and just as practiced. The only disappointment I have with the story is that there wasn’t another 3,000 or so pages of it. I can’t wait for the next volume so I can see what happens next! ( )
  kiaras | Oct 22, 2013 |
Dead Iron falls into the category of paranormal steampunk. I really looked forward to this book when I saw that it was chosen as the book of the month by one of my Goodreads reading groups; however, that excitement quickly turned to dust, and I found myself looking for anything to do other than reading this book. How do you know when a book is bad? When you find yourself thinking after reading a few pages, hnmmmm I suddenly have a desire to clean the kitchen, or a do a load of laundry. Yes, housework is more amusing than this book.

One of the major faults with Monk's work is how convoluted the story is. First we have a werewolf named Cedar Hunt, who is considered an outsider in the small Oregon town of Hallelujah. He has moved to Hallelujah in an attempt to forget his past. Hunt believes that he killed his brother, one night when the wolf's blood lust blocked out his ability to reason. His wife and child are also dead. Out of the blue, Rose Small, the General Store owner's adopted daughter tells him about a missing child named Elbert Gregor, and he decides to hunt him down. Because Rose has told him that she believes that the boogeyman took the child, he decides to pay a visit to the Madder brothers, who seem to have a special skill working with stone. Even though he has no connection with this child, he is willing to owe the Madders a favor in order to secure their help.

If that were not bad enough, we learn that Hunt is a werewolf because he was cursed. When asked what he had done to cause a God to be angry enough to curse him he said, "I walked on the wrong land. Pawnee land. I did no harm other than to be under the wrong go's scrutiny." (pg. 193) He then goes on to say, "Told me there were Strange rising in the land. Told me I was to hunt them. Kill them." Okay, keep in mind that this is the 1800's, and that White settlers and the government are busy slaughtering, raping, and starving Native Americans. It is absolutely problematic that the only time First Nations people are mentioned, is for one of them to choose a White man as their champion. Has Monk ever read a history book or had an actual conversation with a First Nations person? Somehow I doubt it.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Mar 30, 2013 |
For my family
Cedar had stared straight into the killing eyes of rabid wolves, hungry bears,ans a charging bull elk, but Mrs. Horace Small had them all topped.

"Welcome to a new America that is built on blood, sweat, and gears... In steam age America, men, monsters, machines, and magic battle for the same scrap of earth and sky. In this chaos, bounty hunter Cedar Hunt rides, cursed by lycanthropy and carrying the guilt of his brother's death. Then he's offered hope that his brother may yet survive. All he has to do is find the Holder: a powerful device created by mad devisers-and now in the hands of an ancient Strange who was banished to walk this Earth. In a land shaped by magic, steam, and iron, where the only things a man can count on are his guns, gears, and grit, Cedar will have to depend on all three if he's going to save his brother and reclaim his soul once and for all.."--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,341,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible