Beating Cancer with Natural Medicine (My…

Beating Cancer with Natural Medicine (My Doctor Says Series)

by Michael Lam

511,436,638 (3)None

The major premise is on page 114: "Gathering the right nutrients together at the right time in the right ratio is the key to turn the body into an optimized cancer-fighting machine." Assuming that the right nutrients can never be available in sufficient quantities in the diet, this book calls for supplements in megadoses. But can anyone judge which nutrients are needed when and in which ratios? How much do the experts know? The author admits on page 133 that "our knowledge of antioxidants in a cancer setting is still in its infancy stages." So proceed with caution, if at all. Supplements are very concentrated and, especially in megadoses, can create dangerous imbalances. Are they even "natural"? Can a sick body digest and assimilate supplements in pill form? Is cancer a deficiency disease, as this book assumes, or a disease of excess? It seems to me that cancer is an oxygen deficiency at the cellular level, caused by excess (toxemia). A clean-up mode is called for; detox rather than supplementation. If the system is clogged, will additional intake help? The author agrees that detox is helpful, but warns against fasting, claiming that it “weakens” the body. He favors detoxing by enemas and other external agents.

This book recommends integrating "natural" therapies (supplements) with conventional treatments, which seems implausible because the former depend upon the immune system and the latter too often cripple it.

I cannot agree with the author's warnings against distilled water, the cleanest water available. I disagree with his acceptance of homeopathy as a legitimate therapy. With his recommendation of garlic as an immune booster, as it is the toxicity of garlic that activates the immune response. I disagree with his warnings against the natural sugars in natural foods. I do agree with his statement that "the failure to accept cancer as a systemic disease is one of the greatest failures in modern medicine."

The last chapter left me feeling outraged that so many relatively non-toxic therapies are either illegal or unavailable here in the USA, for no good reason. Is cancer a medical problem or a political problem?

A good discussion, but much to argue with. In my opinion, the author puts too much faith in medicine and not enough in Mother Nature. ( )
  pjsullivan | Nov 26, 2014 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible