SantaThing sign up ends in 3:18 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and…

by Erik Larson

Member:KatharineDB
Title:In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
Authors:Erik Larson
Info:Broadway (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, History
Rating:****1/2

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer (kraaivrouw)
    Through Embassy Eyes by Martha Dodd (marieke54)
    I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years 1933-1941 by Victor Klemperer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The published version of Klemperer’s secret wartime diary are a vivid and personal account of day-to-day life in Nazi Germany. Writing with sophistication and insight, he records the stories of ordinary Germans and their hopes and fears during the dark days of the war. This provides interesting points of comparison with Dodd's experiences.… (more)
    Resisting Hitler. Mildred Harnack and the Red Orchestra by Shareen Blair Brysac (marieke54)
    Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you found In the Garden of Beasts moving and want to read fiction about the Third Reich, try Every Man Dies Alone, a haunting novel based on actual events surrounding a couple that attempted to undermine the Nazi regime.
    Red Orchestra. The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler by Anne Nelson (kraaivrouw)
    The Haunted Wood: Soviet Espionage in America--The Stalin Era by Allen Weinstein (spacecommuter)
    spacecommuter: Erik Larsen's In the Garden of Beasts draws on The Haunted Wood and the notebooks of Alexader Vassiliev as sources. The Haunted Wood mentions Martha Dodd, her romance with Boris Winogradov and her father extensively, and includes additional evidence of Martha's espionage that Larsen mostly omitted from his book.… (more)

English (238)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  English (247)
Fascinating account of William E. Dodd and his family during the 1930s when he served as U.S. Ambassador to Germany. An academic, untrained in the ways of diplomacy, he tried in his own way to warn Washington of what he saw going on as Hitler took over Germany. ( )
  NoTalentHack | Nov 19, 2016 |
Overall, this book was very interesting. It offered a unique view of the early years of Nazi Germany that I haven't come across yet. It tended to drag a bit in places, and often I wondered why I was supposed to be so concerned with Martha Dodd's romantic exploits. I guess this made the book more "interesting" than if it had just been a rehashing of four years of diplomatic history. However, a bit more emphasis on, you now, the fact that there was all kinds of political and diplomatic drama going on while Hitler was seizing power left and right and hurtling Europe toward war would have been nice. Also, I felt like the buildup to Röhm's Putsch was waaaaaaay too long and drawn out. Maybe this is because I knew it was coming and got tired of all the allusions to it (sometimes I wanted to scream "Get on with it!").

Nevertheless, once the book picked up, it was an interesting read. ( )
  hylandk | Nov 2, 2016 |
Not as intriguing as past books like Devil in the White City or Thunderstruck from Larson. The story offers a close look at the deadly crazed personalities that rose to power in Germany and much of the book details the dark turns of the atmosphere of the nation and Ambassador Dodd's struggle to comprehend the madness of the time. The contrast of Dodd and his Jeffersonian ideals make for a sharp contrast with the bloodthirsty and duplicitous Hitler regime. The parts of the book dealing with his daughter, Martha, are far less interesting. Her love life does offer a look at how easily many were seduced by the Nazi image and later the Soviet one through her affairs with high ranking men from both. Ultimately though its difficult to relate to her, with how easily she ignored the obvious abuses that were happening in Germany. Likewise, the elder Dodd's fight against the country-club elites of the foreign service crowd is admirable in a way, but in light of what was happening in Germany it just seems trite. Nonetheless the book shows well the difficulty of maintaining diplomatic relations with a country that is taking such an obvious turn for the worse. The book's coverage of the 'Night of the Long Knives' is perhaps its best section and Ambassador Dodd is at his most human at the end of his days in Germany as he at last sees the true dark nature of things. The book makes for a good supplementary reading on the rise of the Nazis in Germany. ( )
  Humberto.Ferre | Sep 28, 2016 |
Ugggh.....this book was real work to get through. So, so many random details and very unevenly related. I am disappointed because [bc:The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America|21996|The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America|Erik Larson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167325045s/21996.jpg|3486041]is such a great book but this one is.....not so much. I found it odd that Ambassador Dodd's efforts to stop the Nazis were lauded at the end but his actual acts were so sparsely covered in the text- or maybe I was just unconscious from boredom when I was reading that part. And oh my gosh the daughter- what a nitwit. All in all just a chore- if you are dying to read about Nazis then this book is for you, if not - don't bother. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Lately I have become very interested in WWII and the incidents surrounding it. I've read many different view points. This book is from the view of Ambassador Dodd and his family who was the American Ambassador during Hitler's reign. The Dodd family was there from 1933-1937. This book is really well written but what made the audio book enjoyable was Stephen Hoye reading it. I want to know what other books he has read because he is so smooth that he sucked me right in. I was worried the book was going to bore me as an audio book but it really was quite good. I was in Berlin last year so I could really visualize where they were talking about. This book made me angry too. I wanted to reach right into my car stereo and slap Martha Dodd very hard. I also wanted to shake the American government and anyone who thought they needed to be careful instead of stopping Hitler. To know that he could have been stopped in 1933 and no one did anything is just appalling. To know that a lot of Americans wanted to rid the country of Jews like in Germany is also appalling. This book makes me want to learn even more about WWII. Great book. Fantastic as an audio book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
William E. Dodd was an academic historian, living a quiet life in Chicago, when Franklin D. Roosevelt appointed him United States ambassador to Germany. It was 1933, Hitler had recently been appointed chancellor, the world was about to change.

Had Dodd gone to Berlin by himself, his reports of events, his diary entries, his quarrels with the State Department, his conversations with Roosevelt would be source material for specialists. But the general reader is in luck on two counts: First, Dodd took his family to Berlin, including his young, beautiful and sexually adventurous daughter, Martha; second, the book that recounts this story, “In the Garden of Beasts,” is by Erik Larson, the author of “The Devil in the White City.” Larson has meticulously researched the Dodds’ intimate witness to Hitler’s ascendancy and created an edifying narrative of this historical byway that has all the pleasures of a political thriller: innocents abroad, the gathering storm. . . .
added by PLReader | editNY Times, DOROTHY GALLAGHER (Jun 10, 2011)

Erik Larsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cookman, WhtineyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nudelman, ElinaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the middle of the journey of our life, I came to myself in a dark wood where the straight way was lost. - Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy: Canto I (Carlyle-Wickstead Translation, 1932)
To the girls, and the
next twenty-five

(and in memory of Molly, a good dog)
Once, at the dawn of a very dark time, an American father and daughter found themselves suddenly transported from their snug home in Chicago to the heart of Hitler's Berlin.
"Hardly anyone thought that the threats against the Jews were meant seriously," wrote Carl Zuckmayer, a Jewish writer.
Even the language used by Hitler and party officials was weirdly inverted. The term "fanatical" became a positive trait. Suddenly it connoted what philologist Victor Klemperer, a Jewish resident of Berlin, described as a "happy mix of courage and fervent devotion."
"There has been nothing in social history more implacable, more heartless and more devastating than the present policy in Germany against the Jews..."
An odd kind of fanciful thinking seemed to have bedazzled Germany, to the highest levels of government. Earlier in the year, for example, Goring had claimed with utter sobriety that three hundred German Americans had been murdered in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia at the start of the past world war. Messersmith, in a dispatch, observed that even smart, well-traveled Germans will "sit and calmly tell you the most extraordinary fairy tales."
After experiencing life in Nazi Germany, Thomas Wolfe wrote, "Here was an entire nation ... infested with the contagion of an ever-present fear. It was a kind of creeping paralysis which twisted and blighted all human relations."
William E. Dodd becomes the American ambassador to Germany, where he witnesses first-hand the atrocities of Hitler's regime and watches his daughter fall in love with a Nazi officer.
They come overmatched Think easy job, not so Leave disheartened (foof2you)

The bestselling author of "Devil in the White City" turns his hand to a remarkable story set during Hitler's rise to power. The time is 1933, the place, Berlin, when William E. Dodd becomes America's first ambassador to Hitler's Germany in a year that proved to be a turning point in history.… (more)

648 wanted7 pay6 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible