The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

The Story of Beautiful Girl (edition 2012)

by Rachel Simon

Title:The Story of Beautiful Girl
Authors:Rachel Simon
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: First Trade Edition, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:audio book

The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman (Richardson76)
    Richardson76: So far this year these 2 books have been my favorite. Both are written well with wonderful and unusual story lines. I think both would make great book club books. Highly recommend both and solidify why I read in the first place.

English (57)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
The first chapter will hook you immediately. After that, it's a little stop and go. The book spans forty years in several people's lives, but the first few years take up the vast majority of the book. The action isn't necessarily slow, but by the time years start passing, it's a little frustrating that the early years took up so much of the book while the later time is more glossed over. Each chapter is from the point of view of a different character, and because of this, it was harder for me to remember characters' connections or places in life as the years jumped by in bigger increments. At the same time, the story is very compelling and well-written. It deals with handicapped people and their rights throughout the years, though it is fiction so that's not really the focus. The truth is well-balanced with the stories, and there are some emotional moments. The ending was pretty hokey in my opinion, but was satisfying enough. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
This is more ike a 3.5 star rating. It is the story of a mentally challenged white girl and a deaf Black man who are both residents of the "School for the Incurable and Feebleminded" in the late 1960's. It is a very cruel institution, hidden away from the public view with only a very few staff memebers who actually care about the residents. The two escape (one only temporarily) from the institution together and the novel is the story of this ordeal. Without giving spoilers, I cannot tell what happens, but the cast of characters include a retired school teacher and several of her former students, a nurse at the institution who seeks to understand what really happened when the two escaped, the overly stereotyped, profit seeking director of the School and other fairly well developed characters.
It is interesting to note that the author of this book has a sister who is mentally retarded and she has written a non-fiction account of spending a period of time with her sister: Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey. I have it on reserve at the library now!
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
In the late 1960’s, before much was understood about emotional and physical handicaps and the difference they have to developmental handicaps our main character Lynnie was committed to a School for the Incurable and Feebleminded. It was not much of a school! Horrible things happened there but some good things too. Lynnie met Homan, an African-American deaf man. One stormy night Lynnie and Homan know they must try to escape, for the sake of Lynnie’s unborn child. The child no one at the “school” knows she is carrying. As they are on the run Lynnie has a baby girl. Just before the authorities close in they find refuge in the home of a retired school teacher. Although Lynnie is taken back, Homan escapes capture and the baby is left behind with the whispered words “hide her”.

The book takes us through 40 years of change in society, in care for the developmentally disabled and the closure of institutions like the “School”. Yet for all this time four people never stop believing in each other and searching for each other. This is a sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hard to read and often, heartwarming story that is an absolute pleasure to read. It is a story that you won’t soon forget.

The Story of Beautiful Girl is a beautiful book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Suggested by Cari.
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |

INorris | Apr 20, 2015 |
Simon, who wrote so sensitively about disability in her memoir Riding the Bus With My Sister, often skirts schmaltz in The Story of Beautiful Girl, but she manages to steer her reader toward the truly stirring.
Telling our stories is holy work.  --The Reverend Nancy Lane, Ph.D.
For those who were put away.
At the end of the night that would change everything, the widow stood on her porch and watched as the young woman was marched down her front drive and shoved into the sedan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446574465, Hardcover)

It is 1968. Lynnie, a young white woman with a developmental disability, and Homan, an African American deaf man, are locked away in an institution, the School for the Incurable and Feebleminded, and have been left to languish, forgotten. Deeply in love, they escape, and find refuge in the farmhouse of Martha, a retired schoolteacher and widow. But the couple is not alone-Lynnie has just given birth to a baby girl. When the authorities catch up to them that same night, Homan escapes into the darkness, and Lynnie is caught. But before she is forced back into the institution, she whispers two words to Martha: "Hide her." And so begins the 40-year epic journey of Lynnie, Homan, Martha, and baby Julia-lives divided by seemingly insurmountable obstacles, yet drawn together by a secret pact and extraordinary love.

Exclusive Essay from Rachel Simon
Rachel Simon

When The Story of Beautiful Girl came out, I kept getting asked two questions. Why was I drawn to writing disability-themed literature? And was it hard to write from the point of view of characters with disabilities?

My answer to the first question begins with this basic fact: for one month every year, I am a twin.

My sister Beth, who has an intellectual disability, was born eleven months after me. So every year when I visit her for her birthday, the first thing we both say is, "Now we’re twins!" And for the next thirty days, as she gleefully moves through her days wearing the Tweety Bird shirts and using the Scooby Doo stickers I bought for her big celebration, we are indeed twins. Then my birthday rolls around, and when I visit her for that admittedly more secondary occasion, and she thrusts dozens of handmade cards at me, all of which express her happiness at my coming to see her, the first thing we both say is, "Now we’re not twins."

As with any siblings who are so close in age, we’ve shared a lot: parents, a brother and sister, a challenging family history, bedrooms, opinions, dreams, tears, jokes, anxieties, secrets, unspoken understandings, and sideways glances. So I have a reasonably good sense of how my sister feels, what she thinks, who she cares about, and why she does what she does.

Of course, there are additional layers to our relationship because of her disability. I feel a sense of responsibility toward her and she feels a level of trust in me. We’ve both always known that, whenever necessary, I will act as a go-between: I will explain to her the things she doesn’t understand about the world, and I will explain to the world the things it doesn’t understand about her.

At the same time, since she is a person with a disability, I’ve spent my life noticing--and being annoyed at--how so much of the world has got it all wrong when it comes to my sister and others like her. How she gets ignored by waitresses, snickered at by teenagers, patronized by people who assume she’s helpless, underestimated by people who assume she’s angelic. In addition, I’ve pondered many of the deepest issues about the mind. What is universal about intelligence? About sorrow and longing? About pleasure and love? On top of all this, I’ve long wondered: Why does so much of the public just not get it? And how, given that some people like my sister never get seen or acknowledged or heard by the world, might that ever change?

In 2002, I tried to do what I could to answer those thoughts. I wrote a memoir about my relationship with Beth, Riding The Bus With My Sister, which is about both her present-day passion of riding city buses and our lives as siblings from birth to middle age. The book, which was also adapted for a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie by the same name, led to my getting asked to give talks around the country. At every talk, I met more and more people with disabilities, their family members, and the professionals who work with them. They told me their stories, and I started to feel a new urge. I wanted to do whatever I could to give voice to those who had never been heard.

I realized I was in an unusual position to take on that responsibility. As a family member, I wouldn’t get bogged down by cliches and stereotypes. As someone who’d already published two books of fiction before Riding The Bus With My Sister, I wouldn’t have to stick with nonfiction, nor was I daunted by the idea of a novel. As a sister who’d stood up for Beth since the day I was conscious of my own existence, I felt a sense of mission. And as a once-a-year twin, I had developed the skill of being a go-between.

This gets me to the second question. Was it hard to write The Story of Beautiful Girl through the eyes of characters with disabilities?

I wish I could say it took a huge amount of effort. But there’s another word that’s synonymous with being a go-between: being a translator. I’ve spent my life translating the world into terms my sister could comprehend--and translating my sister into terms the world could comprehend.

So when I sat down to write the characters of Beautiful Girl and Number Forty-Two, I just did what I’ve always done. I wrote about the world’s rules and injustices and rewards and irrationalities as those characters would perceive them. And I wrote about their wonderings and yearnings and motivations and joys in ways that readers would understand.

Neither character is like my sister. And both go through adversity and anguish the likes of which my sister has never seen. But I wouldn’t say that writing their experiences was hard for me.

I would say, instead, that it was heart-opening and soul-deepening.

I would say, instead, that it was fun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:30 -0400)

"A novel about a woman who can't speak, a man who is deaf, and a widow who finds herself suddenly caring for a newborn baby"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,957,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible