HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Aleph by Paulo Coelho
Loading...

Aleph (2010)

by Paulo Coelho

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
4341824,268 (3.22)1
Recently added bySreevatsa.Haritasa, yasmine_d, grumpymummyb46, Luar, Awdhesh, private library, fhamzi
None

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 1 mention

English (12)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (18)
Showing 1-5 of 12 (next | show all)
Hard for me to get engaged on this one.... I found it dry and was put off by the what I considered the smugness and condescension as well as sexual bravado. A little bit let down. ( )
  KimberlyDuBoise | Jul 23, 2014 |
A review of this work cannot be properly elucidated on account of its metaphysical nature, which, when read, will be tailored to each reader's inner state. On that note, this book will speak to the masses, and read as though it was written for the audience of one. A masterpiece, which for me, upstages 'The Alchemist' by the same author. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Terminé de leer el Aleph, y a decir verdad tal como empieza el libro me decía !hoo no otra vez una historia de ritual! Pero en los últimos capítulos el libro me recobro la alegría puesto que son los capítulos mas emocionantes que ocurren en esta parte, precisamente el capitulo donde empieza El anillo de Fuego es que mi alma empieza a moverse con el relato hasta llegar al capítulo Ad Extirpanda, pero es en el relato la Quinta Mujer que logro conmover mis sentimientos mezclados con las escenas marcadas de un ligero erotismo. Simplemente empieza a ser todo cautivante.


... Leí algo al respecto, pero no me acuerdo quien lo escribió. Lo hacemos de manera inconsciente todas las noches cuando soñamos: vamos a nuestro pasado reciente o remoto. Despertamos pensando que vivimos verdaderos absurdos durante el sueño, pero no es así. Pag. 175, Aleph.

El libro menciona unas cuantas frases que me encantan y como siempre en los libros de Coelho busco las frases que se hacen parte de mi alma y de mi comunicarme a los demás.
!Cuantas personas conozco que son maestras para hablar, pero incapaces de vivir aquello que predican!Paf. 195, Aleph.

...Tú decías que el Aleph era un punto fuera de nosotros, pero cuando dos personas están enamoradas logran traer ese punto a cualquier lugar.Pag. 166, Aleph.

...Matamos en nombre de Dios, torturamos en nombre de Jesús, decidimos que la mujer era una amenaza para la sociedad, y suprimimos todas las manifestaciones de los dones femeninos, practicamos las usura, asesinamos inocentes e hicimos alianzas con el diablo. Incluso así seguimos estando aquí después de dos mil años. Pag 205, Aleph.

El final del libro es satisfactorio, puesto que te conlleva a una acelerada escena donde no suponemos que sera lo que los personajes terminaran haciendo.

En el capítulo Ad Extirpanda hace al lector ver otro lado de la historia muchos quienes no saben de las trasfondos de la historia en cuanto al tratado de la mujer puede aprender tan solo un hilito de lo que significo la mujer en la historia de como su papel cambia y es desnaturalizada hasta el punto en que Coelho vuelve y menciona aun después de dos mil años seguimos viviendo así, porque no es de negar a nadie aun la mujer sigue apocada en su rol como creadora, como transformadora.

En mi persona desde que desarrolle mi adolescencia e inicie a leer, a conocer mas de las culturas y despertar mis sentido critico de opinión y pareceres, siempre que leía o veía documentales sobre este tema de la mujer y su lucha a través de la historia digo, gracia que no nací en esa época porque sino hubiese muerto temprano, porque siempre mi opinión se muestra radical, y así no hubiese llegado a mucho en aquel tiempo. Siempre he creído que de haber nacido en esa época de la historia hubiese sido una mujer luchadora, una Juana de Arco por así decirlo.
Recomiendo este libro. ( )
  Pamelangeles | Jul 3, 2014 |
This novel marks the beginning/continuation of the journey we all need to venture. ( )
  bposinger | Nov 4, 2013 |
I held out a lot of hope in finding some profound thoughts in this book based on the sample I read. It seemed deeply philosophical, but conveyed in a very normal, understandable way. Unfortunately, that ended with the sample- as I was afraid it might. It went from deep and insightful to rambling and dull. I debated a long time before paying £7.99 for the Kindle edition, and now I'm just angry that I talked myself into it. The story is essentially about an older man and a very insistent female groupie that take a long train journey across Russia. It's styled as an auto-biographical work, which if true, well...it was rubbish, really. [a:Paulo Coelho|566|Paulo Coelho|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1201840056p2/566.jpg][bc:Aleph|11439593|Aleph|Paulo Coelho|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41reC88GYVL._SL75_.jpg|13965275] ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |
Showing 1-5 of 12 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for those who turn to you.  Amen.

A certain nobleman went into a far country, to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
- Luke 19:12
The Aleph was about two to three centimeters in diameter, but all of cosmic space was there, with no diminution in size.  Each thing was infinite, because I could clearly see it from every point on the universe.
-Jorge Luis Borges, The Aleph

Thou knowest all--I cannot see.
I trust I shall not live in vain,
I know that we shall meet again,
in some divine eternity.

- Oscar Wilde, "The True Knowledge"
Dedication
For J, who keeps me walking,
S.J., who continues to protect me,
Hilal, for her words of forgiveness in the church in Novosibirsk.
First words
Oh, No, Not another ritual!
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Aleph marks a return to the author's beginnings. In a frank and surprising personal story, one of the world's most beloved authors embarks on a remarkable and transformative journey of self discovery. Facing a grave crisis of faith, and seeking a path of spiritual renewal and growth, he decides to start over: to travel, to experiment, to reconnect with people and the world. On this journey through Europe, Africa, and Asia, he will again meet Hilal, the woman he loved 500 years before, an encounter that will initiate a mystical voyage through time and space, through past and present, in search of himself. Aleph is an encounter with our fears and our sins; a search for love and forgiveness, and the courage to confront the inevitable challenges of life.… (more)

» see all 7 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
3 avail.
124 wanted
7 pay7 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.22)
0.5
1 8
1.5 4
2 14
2.5 4
3 22
3.5 8
4 21
4.5 2
5 16

Audible.com

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,393,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible